IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

40 minutes ago, pongo said:

What would attract people here in the years ahead?

Half of Britain are looking for somewhere to go from next week.  

There has been a year to plan, and we got nothin'

One small example.  How many groups of blokes would like to get together, share a holiday home, drink in pubs without restrictions and play a different golf course every day for a week?

How many people have had crappy little weddings with no Hen or Stag do who would love to get together with some mates for a few days and hit the pubs and clubs?

Not millions, but its very easy targeted advertising and when combined with similar for car clubs, hikers, cyclists, Mountain bikers etc etc you could very quickly fill the accommodation and flights we have.

We won't ever appeal to millions who want to sit on a beach all day or laze around centre parcs or similar, but we couldn't accommodate them anyway.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

As i understand it, the most sure way to end back in a lockdown is by travellers bringing back or visitors bringing over variants that our most common vaccine doesn't work against.  Then it's back to square one. Obviously feel free to call me a scaredy cat, tell me i love lockdown etc. The usual fare

Preaching common sense!

It'll never catch on over here.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

As i understand it, the most sure way to end back in a lockdown is by travellers bringing back or visitors bringing over variants that our most common vaccine doesn't work against.  Then it's back to square one. Obviously feel free to call me a scaredy cat, tell me i love lockdown etc. The usual fare

Scaredy cat.

I guess we are stuck with that risk for ever now so life's too short to worry about it.

It may come to pass, we dont know,  but we have to move on.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Given that you and the venerable john wright both agued against the need for speedier genomics results  i'm wondering what plan the pair of you have to get around this getting around the vaccine potential problem? Of course it may not happen. I can't say for certain it will

What problem is there?

The main problem appears to be the reluctance to accept a return to normality.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Given that you and the venerable john wright both agued against the need for speedier genomics results  i'm wondering what plan the pair of you have to get around this getting around the vaccine potential problem? Of course it may not happen. I can't say for certain it will

Vaccine problem?

41 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I’ve not argued against genomic testing. I’ve argued against the knee jerk introduction of on island testing with extremely short turnaround  as part of a canonisation campaign.

Genomic testing clearly can have a place. And that place may well be different with politics, border status, vaccination, time and place.

I really don’t believe it adds anything to border policy or lockdown in the circumstances we’ve had until recently. 

Going forward, presumably with open borders within the CTA coming soon, no testing, no isolation, , I’d have thought that variant testing and response would be a UK border ( I’m leaving Ireland out of the calculation)  and public health issue. Again not sure what it’d bring to IOM 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Back to square one isn't going to happen

Another lockdown isn't going to happen

20 hours ago, Banker said:

Today’s screen shot shows same data as yesterday ie one in hospital, someone posted that person in hospital  had died but either that’s wrong information or sheet is wrong?

image.thumb.png.4a7631889b6c992ee31507c2cefbae37.png

image.png

If it’s the one I’ve been told about then he’s been in hospital for so long I wonder if he dropped off the Covid figures. Maybe tested negative but lungs so badly damaged they unfortunately died. 

• Sad 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, Gladys said:

I get your point, but presumably you would want to test drivers and pax prior to boarding at Heysham.  You have then got to get the swabs to a  lab for analysis. Which lab, if it is the IOM  you would have to get the results back before disembarkation to give those positives an isolation notice. 

The only way testing prior to embarkation would work is either if you use an instant results test, which are currently limited  reliability, or you test well in advance of the sailing to allow the swabs to be sent here, analysed and results returned.

Unless I have missed something. 

Didn’t someone (Dr Glover?) suggest a lab in a container on the Ben type of testing system last year?