IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Given that you and the venerable john wright both agued against the need for speedier genomics results  i'm wondering what plan the pair of you have to get around this getting around the vaccine potential problem? Of course it may not happen. I can't say for certain it will

The 'venerable ' John beat me to it. I'll add that it's not really our job to have a plan.

However, it probably will be case that identifying variants may become critical if it turns out that the vaccines are not effective. That time has not yet come.

That's for those who are expert in the field to advise us on.

27 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

If it’s the one I’ve been told about then he’s been in hospital for so long I wonder if he dropped off the Covid figures. Maybe tested negative but lungs so badly damaged they unfortunately died. 

Or it may be a timing thing.  Although they aren't published till 4 pm, the dashboard figures represent the previous day's situation.  So if someone dies early on the following day they won't be included.  This happened a few times before when they actually announced deaths, but those didn't show upon the dashboard until they adjusted the figures later on.

But it could be what you suggest. 'Recovered but dead from it' would be a fairly insulting way to describe a case, but it's effectively what England has been doing with the 28 day rule.

40 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Didn’t someone (Dr Glover?) suggest a lab in a container on the Ben type of testing system last year?

I am not sure, but would a lab on the boat be able to function in high seas?  I really don't  know the answer but you would think being on choppy waters wouldn't be ideal conditions for a lab.  If RG did suggest this, then presumably it would be OK. 

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The 'venerable ' John beat me to it. I'll add that it's not really our job to have a plan.

However, it probably will be case that identifying variants may become critical if it turns out that the vaccines are not effective. That time has not yet come.

That's for those who are expert in the field to advise us on.

Yes, that was rather my point really. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

. 'Recovered but dead from it' would be a fairly insulting way to describe a case, but it's effectively what England has been doing with the 28 day rule.

I agree with you. I think the 28 day thing is an arbitrary way of everyone reporting the same way. There will be inaccuracy in it for sure but I think the idea is that they aggregate themselves and give a reasonable measure of the death rate due to the virus.

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not sure, but would a lab on the boat be able to function in high seas?  I really don't  know the answer but you would think being on choppy waters wouldn't be ideal conditions for a lab.  If RG did suggest this, then presumably it would be OK. 

Bloody hell. Imagine being at the receiving end of a deep swabbing just as the Ben lurches. Ouch!

Seriously though I cant see any technical reason as the boat movement is relatively small.

Edited by Happier diner

3 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

As i understand it, the most sure way to end back in a lockdown is by travellers bringing back or visitors bringing over variants that our most common vaccine doesn't work against.  Then it's back to square one. Obviously feel free to call me a scaredy cat, tell me i love lockdown etc. The usual fare

Well all International arrivals into UK are either quarantined for red countries or negative tests before entry so this will reduce the variants in UK and also crown dependencies.

Weve just got to move on and get borders open properly.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well all International arrivals into UK are either quarantined for red countries or negative tests before entry so this will reduce the variants in UK and also crown dependencies.

Weve just got to move on and get borders open properly.

That, of course, isn’t what the regulations provide if you’re transiting from any third country to the IOM 

16 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

What is is with you people and this patronising mantra. I can only read it in the voice of davod ashford that time he reassured all the small children. At least come up with a different order to the words

What is with you people who keep harping on about variants & visitors to the island will bring diseases, hospitals etc will be overwhelmed etc

Change the record & stop with the scaremongering, everyone over 18 will have had at least one dose in next month or so.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

Change the record & stop with the scaremongering, everyone over 18 will have had at least one dose in next month or so.

I laughed out loud at your change the record comment! 

Lets just hope the single dose is enough. According to CDC, Pfizer second jab must be given within six weeks. They don't use AZ in the USA. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I laughed out loud at your change the record comment! 

Lets just hope the single dose is enough. According to CDC, Pfizer second jab must be given within six weeks. They don't use AZ in the USA. 

What the CDC do in USA has no relevance unless you live there!

Uk moving to next stage of easing in a week’s time 

Boris Johnson is poised to announce that the next stage of lifting lockdown will go ahead as planned on 17 May, a cabinet minister has said.

Michael Gove told Sky News the prime minister will give the green light tomorrow, clearing the way for people to meet inside and for indoor hospitality to resume in just over a week's time

Well, yes. We already knew that about 17th.

What the CDC do and say is relevant everywhere. I would rather listen to what they say than listen to Tony Blair, whose stupid idea it was to push dosage out to twelve weeks. 

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

Well, yes. We already knew that about 17th.

What the CDC do and say is relevant everywhere. I would rather listen to what they say than listen to Tony Blair, whose stupid idea it was to push dosage out to twelve weeks. 

But you kept saying UK wouldn’t hit roadmap dates!

What CDC do only has relevance in USA , same as Germany lifting many Covid restrictions on fully vaccinated residents it only has relevance in Germany .