IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

48 minutes ago, trmpton said:

"Nobody is safe until we are all safe"

Disagree.  My own attitude to risk means me and those important to me are all as safe as we need to be, and as safe as we are when we go about several parts of our daily lives, once the majority of us have had at least one jab.

That moment in my family was weeks ago, so I have no concerns going forward from here about the very small risk of one or more of us being adversely impacted by COVID.  

There are lots of things that are a bigger worry to me, like young family members learning to drive, bombing down mountains on mountain bikes etc

Don't worry.

We all know about your attitude.

We won't be thinking about going anywhere until we get our second jabs. Even then we will be wary due one of us suffering very badly from asthma.

Each to their own...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Each to their own...

I tend to agree. There are still those with serious health problems that are susceptible to the risks that Covid can present. I am all for everyone taking the risks and managing them on their own behalf but disagree with anyone else taking chances on my behalf without my involvement.

Thats why we have the government listening (hopefully) to a more balanced argument than just do this or that. 

Given the views I have read on here lately (how many people dying is acceptable) frankly inhibits any discussion and reduces it almost to playground level. 

Although not a complete fan of what the Govt has done (yes they were late etc) I think I can see now the benefits of having the ones we have making the decisions about the timing of easing restrictions. Their purpose is to safeguard everyone on the island, not just those who shout the loudest. 

Edited by Apple
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Apple said:

I tend to agree. There are still those with serious health problems that are susceptible to the risks that Covid can present. I am all for everyone taking the risks and managing them on their own behalf but disagree with anyone else taking chances on my behalf without my involvement.

Thats why we have the government listening (hopefully) to a more balanced argument than just do this or that. 

Given the views I have read on here lately (how many people dying is acceptable) frankly inhibits any discussion and reduces it almost to playground level. 

Although not a complete fan of what the Govt has done (yes they were late etc) I think I can see now the benefits of having the ones we have making the decisions about the timing of easing restrictions. Their purpose is to safeguard everyone on the island, not just those who shout the loudest. 

Only one person raised the question of an acceptable numbers of deaths.

That person was deliberately baiting. 

• Like 1

Out of 50k+ UK hospitalisations for covid just 1% had been vaccinated with either AZ or Pfizer more than three weeks previously. Of those 113 unfortunately passed away.

So after your first jab the chances of dying from covid are really really low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Only one person raised the question of an acceptable numbers of deaths.

That person was deliberately baiting. 

That person was deliberately trying to demonstrate to people who liked to slag him off what an invidious position Mr Quayle was in. Especially as I think he's out of his depth.

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

That person was deliberately trying to demonstrate to people who liked to slag him off what an invidious position Mr Quayle was in. Especially as I think he's out of his depth.

You keep referring to Mr. Quayle’s difficult position.

Boris Johnson has just swept the board in local elections, is opening up the U.K. on Monday & has Covid effectively beaten.

Quayle makes things up as he goes along on the back of very duff advice (as I’ve alluded previously - U of Warwick shite)

We agree on one thing - the man is way out of his depth.

He now needs to grow a set & stop pandering to the vocal minority.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Boris Johnson has just swept the board in local elections, is opening up the U.K. on Monday & has Covid effectively beaten.

Quayle makes things up as he goes along on the back of very duff advice (as I’ve alluded previously - U of Warwick shite)

Except BoJo isn't opening things up fully next week. Its a nother step along his road map. Apart from our border we are still going to be way ahead of the UK in terms of domestic restrictions.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except BoJo isn't opening things up fully next week. Its a nother step along his road map. Apart from our border we are still going to be way ahead of the UK in terms of domestic restrictions.

To many families & business owners it doesn’t feel that way at all I’m afraid.

24 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Not entirely true 

This is what is actually happening in the UK on Monday 17th May:

Step 3 - 17 May

Social contact

As part of Step 3, no earlier than 17 May, the government will look to continue easing limits on seeing friends and family wherever possible, allowing people to decide on the appropriate level of risk for their circumstances.

This means that most legal restrictions on meeting others outdoors will be lifted - although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegal. Indoors, the Rule of 6 or 2 households will apply - we will keep under review whether it is safe to increase this.

As soon as possible and by no later than Step 3, we will also update the advice on social distancing between friends and family, including hugging. But until this point, people should continue to keep their distance from anyone not in their household or support bubble.

Business and activities

Most businesses in all but the highest risk sectors will be able to reopen. In all sectors, COVID-Secure guidance will remain in place and businesses may not cater for groups bigger than the legal limits. Indoor hospitality will reopen - and as in Step 2, venues will not have to serve a substantial meal with alcoholic drinks; nor will there be a curfew. Customers will, however, have to order, eat and drink while seated.

Other indoor locations to open up in Step 3 include indoor entertainment venues such as cinemas and children’s play areas; the rest of the accommodation sector, including hotels, hostels and B&Bs; and indoor adult group sports and exercise classes. The government will also allow some larger performances and sporting events in indoor venues with a capacity of 1,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number), and in outdoor venues with a capacity of 4,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number). In the largest outdoor seated venues, where crowds can be spread out, up to 10,000 people will be able to attend (or a quarter-full, whichever is lower).

Events

Up to 30 people will be able to attend weddings, receptions and wakes, as well as funerals. This limit will also apply to other types of significant life events including bar mitzvahs and christenings.

Review of social distancing

Finally, before Step 4 begins, the government will complete a review of social distancing and other long-term measures that have been put in place to cut transmission. This will inform decisions on the timing and circumstances under which the rules on 1 metre plus, the wearing of face coverings and other measures may be lifted. This will also inform guidance on working from home – which should continue wherever possible until this review is complete.

Step 4 - not before 21 June

Social contact

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Business, activities and events

We hope to reopen remaining premises, including nightclubs, and ease the restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3. This will be subject to the results of a scientific Events Research Programme to test the outcome of certain pilot events through the spring and summer, where we will trial the use of testing and other techniques to cut the risk of infection. The same Events Research Programme will guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.

As we move through each of these phases in the roadmap, we must all remember that COVID-19 remains a part of our lives. We are going to have to keep living our lives differently to keep ourselves and others safe. We must carry on with ‘hands, face, space’. Comply with the COVID-Secure measures that remain in place. Meet outdoors when we can and keep letting fresh air in. Get tested when needed. Get vaccinated when offered. If we all continue to play our part, we will be that bit closer to a future that is more familiar.

Edited by chris4652009

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

To many families & business owners it doesn’t feel that way at all I’m afraid.

so, assuming its a binary, which do you prefer, the list above for England, (and different in Scotland Wales and NI) to apply here but no travel restrictions other than a PCR at arrival, or complete freedom behind a border with 7 day isolation and two tests?