IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

54 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It seems that with every inquiry the recurrent theme is the utter frustration felt by those trying to get information from the government and having to wait while it goes from one channel to another with endless time wasted waiting for some kind of reply from anyone anywhere. This is our government system. It's the system that lets us all down.

That is because it is the classic slow, outmoded, inefficient, useless management pyramid structure that leaves plenty of room for misunderstandings, delay and obfuscation by unnecessary middle managers at every level.

Should have been flattened years ago with layers of middle managers being redeployed into the private sector via the jobs market....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Just listened to the evidence, the triumvirate need to think about their actions, HE particularly.   

There’s a smell starting to whiffle out from this one…

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well the make up of the emergency advisory committee said it all, co heads Magson & greenhow with no external advisors.

They finally advertised for external advisory in April after Tynwald request’

If you were setting up an EAC who would you include?

My guess, not based on titles but role:-

Head of health delivery, not public health but whoever has responsibility for actually preparing  and delivering the health service response to the pandemic.

Head of police because there were additional crimes created under emergency powers.

Head of whatever gets freight and people to and from the island, ie has front line responsibility for keeping us going. 

A virologist.

An economist.

A pragmatic lawyer. 

A psychologist/behaviourist - to help with the pyschology in the extreme measures.

Probably more, but we had none of these disciplines, absolutely none.

You could say that there was an attraction in keeping the team small, but it excluded many facets and informed  views. What we had was a small team fed by an ill-informed and filtered information channel.

The big lesson is to have some credible emergency response plans much like Mark Woodford spoke about to comply with IMO.  We are, after all, not very different from a ship on the high seas.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Head of health delivery, not public health but whoever has responsibility for actually preparing  and delivering the health service response to the pandemic.

Head of police because there were additional crimes created under emergency powers.

Head of whatever gets freight and people to and from the island, ie has front line responsibility for keeping us going. 

A virologist.

An economist.

A pragmatic lawyer. 

A psychologist/behaviourist - to help with the pyschology in the extreme measures.

You could say that there was an attraction in keeping the team small, but it excluded many facets and informed  views. What we had was a small team fed by an ill-informed and filtered information channel.

The big lesson is to have some credible emergency response plans much like Mark Woodford spoke about to comply with IMO.  We are, after all, not very different from a ship on the high seas.

Sounds good but anyone who knows what they're talking about is instantly dismissed by government because they despise anyone more knowledgeable than themselves!

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

A virologist.

An economist.

A pragmatic lawyer. 

Sounds good but anyone who knows what they're talking about is instantly dismissed by government because they despise anyone who is more knowledgeable than themselves!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Sounds good but anyone who knows what they're talking about is instantly dismissed by government because they despise anyone who is more knowledgeable than themselves!

Well it is not after a great deal of thought  but a hell of a lot more thought than has been demonstrated. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

A virologist.

An economist.

A pragmatic lawyer. 

Ah…Gladys, Gladys, Gladys…yet again you commit the cardinal sin of anticipating that logic, reason, organisation and learning will feature in the portfolio of IOMG actions. Tut tut tut…*rolls eyes….shakes head*

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

It's shambolic. IOMG issued legal instructions, IOMSPCo didn't bother reading them because they thought they know what they contained, IOMG didn't ensure that they are complied with. 

I'm not sure that the Steam Packet "didn't bother reading them" so much as that clear (never mind legal) instructions didn't exist in the first place.  Woodward[1] said he hadn't read them personally, but you would have expected the HR person to have done so - at it was them who was at the meetings.  I got the impression that (at least till this February) it was vague and the SP  had exemptions which meant their crew didn't need to permanently self-isolate.

Part of the problem may have been that Ewart wasn't part of the Cabinet Office till April and may have thought/been assured that everything had been sorted out.  But the fact that the Director of Public Health wasn't involved (indeed leading things) from day one tells you everything you need to know about how the crisis was dealt with.  The control-freakery of the Cabinet Office was all that mattered. 

[1]  Who was clearly demob-happy and determined to say all the things he had been biting his tongue about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that the Steam Packet "didn't bother reading them" so much as that clear (never mind legal) instructions didn't exist in the first place.  Woodward[1] said he hadn't read them personally, but you would have expected the HR person to have done so - at it was them who was at the meetings.  I got the impression that (at least till this February) it was vague and the SP  had exemptions which meant their crew didn't need to permanently self-isolate.

Part of the problem may have been that Ewart wasn't part of the Cabinet Office till April and may have thought/been assured that everything had been sorted out.  But the fact that the Director of Public Health wasn't involved (indeed leading things) from day one tells you everything you need to know about how the crisis was dealt with.  The control-freakery of the Cabinet Office was all that mattered. 

[1]  Who was clearly demob-happy and determined to say all the things he had been biting his tongue about.

If the HR person had read them then the failure to comply was deliberate rather than negligent.

• Thanks 1

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

If the HR person had read them then the failure to comply was deliberate rather than negligent.

Or that they didn't say what the government claim they did.  At least not till this February when then changed them to what they now are pretending they said all along.  And then immediately had to change them back again otherwise all the SP staff would have resigned.

As Hooper pointed out at the PAC, the fact they had to climb down so quickly suggests that if the directions they actually been in force then that would have happened a lot earlier.  And there is plenty of evidence that loads of people in government knew that the staff were't isolating.

• Like 2

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece this morning are drip feeding the juicy cuts from Mark Woodward’s appearance at the Tynpotwald Racket Inquiry, 

MW says IOMG treated staff like Lepers. I would say that’s true, they were thrown under the bus by HRH The Chief Minister and Ashie and made to feel like Pariahs. Short of timing the bell and shouting ‘unclean’ and ‘bring out your dead’.

I don’t think this inquiry will do wonders for the reputation of one or two members of COMIN. Certainly damaging for anyone wishing to stand as Chief Minister. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Thats a bit like saying if I drive through Colby at 50mph and kill someone it's the police's fault for not explaining the rule to me and then failing to be following me around and checking up on me rather than my fault because I couldn't be bothered to read the speed limit sign and understand its significance!

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1