IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

Wales has decided to hold off relaxing some of it's Covid restrictions because of concerns surrounding the Indian Variant. 

Would we be surprised if IOMG also cite it as a reason to delay moving to level 2 of the border framework?

Surprised - no

Apoplectic - Yes

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Wales has decided to hold off relaxing some of it's Covid restrictions because of concerns surrounding the Indian Variant. 

Would we be surprised if IOMG also cite it as a reason to delay moving to level 2 of the border framework?

Still opening all indoor hospitality, hotels etc and overseas travel permitted although Drakeford wants everyone to holiday in Wales in the rain

• Haha 1

Another drip drip drip via the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece, from yesterday’s Tynpotwald Steam Packet Inquiry.

The Chair of the Steam Packet wants an apology from HRH The Chief Minister. That’s wishful thinking. If he was forced to, it will be on blank paper using crayons, and handed to Ashie, for posting. It will end up being shredded. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Still opening all indoor hospitality, hotels etc and overseas travel permitted although Drakeford wants everyone to holiday in Wales in the rain

Baaaaaaaaa

Still over here Skelly wants us to have staycations in horrible overpriced hotels. 

Edited by 2112

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. Also interesting that they still have briefings so that the population know what's going on.

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/05/13/borders-eased-for-travellers-from-southwest-and-wales/

They seem to have the capability to make sensible and rational decisions and then communicate them.

Whatever happened to that much mentioned airbridge which was used for a couple of months? We were Guernseys best friend, certainly their airline loved us. Now they have dropped us like a hot potato. Was it our promenade which spoiled their enjoyment? 

I was fortunate to go to Guernsey last July and was due again to go in October until that got cancelled. I would again but sadly I don’t think there will ever be anymore direct flights - the IOM has served its purpose. It says a lot about the lslands ability to maintain relationships longterm, rather than 2 minute wonder arrangements. 

Although Guernsey bosses are getting considerable stick for using the 14 day rate that IOM use, hence the announcement that main transit ports are green no matter the rates!! Apparently they will change categories again end of May 

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/05/14/travel-restrictions-bring-anger-on-social-media/

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

So four people who died over the course of a week had this variant, rawhide the rest had others.

And it is spreading mainly in young people in areas where young people haven't been vaccinated, and nearly everyone here over 2p has been vaccinated.

The UK media is definitely getting behind the fear of the Indian variant

Plenty of bodies and organisations warning about its effect and officials in Wales advising people to not travel even if rules allow it

Is the tease worse than the denial?

Anyone else missing some correspondence from IOMG?  I am missing a point by point rebuttal and a report on the SP.  If these have inadvertently gone to the wrong person, could you let me know please?

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Anyone else missing some correspondence from IOMG?  I am missing a point by point rebuttal and a report on the SP.  If these have inadvertently gone to the wrong person, could you let me know please?

I gave them to Ashford yesterday. 

(hey..can anyone smell smoke..?)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So four people who died over the course of a week had this variant, rawhide the rest had others.

And it is spreading mainly in young people in areas where young people haven't been vaccinated, and nearly everyone here over 2p has been vaccinated.

I think there are two things they are worried about.  The first is that the Indian variant(s) seems to be particularly good at spreading.  Rachel retweeted an interesting graph a while ago showing how it had driven out all other variants in West Bengal:

which suggests it may spread even more strongly that the Kent one.  And we know from the Seychelles that even more widespread vaccination than we have here doesn't stop Covid spreading.

The second is that while there isn't any particular evidence that it is currently more deadly than the current variants (though certainly no less) or that vaccines offer less resistance (though there are hints efficacy may be reduced a bit) , virologists are worried that it would only take one more mutation for this sort of thing to happen.

12 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

The UK media is definitely getting behind the fear of the Indian variant

Plenty of bodies and organisations warning about its effect and officials in Wales advising people to not travel even if rules allow it

Is the tease worse than the denial?

That 'independent sage' group need to be given less press.

The vaccines still work very very well against this, and at present all known, variants.

If anyone is interested these rational twitter accounts are worth a follow

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout

https://twitter.com/ScienceShared

There are others too, but these are pretty good, Prof Balloux has this in his bio "Currently aspiring to challenge equally those who believe the COVID-19 pandemic is the end times and those denying its existence" 

• Like 1

I see Freedom Travel are doing weekly direct flights to Jersey from 26/6.

I see that Guernsey are no longer out best friends.

I wonder if HRH The Chief Minister is going to swan around and suck up to Jersey like the IOM is their best friend?