IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Anyone else missing some correspondence from IOMG?  I am missing a point by point rebuttal and a report on the SP.  If these have inadvertently gone to the wrong person, could you let me know please?

I thought HRH The Chief Minister will be publishing the SPC next week. Meanwhile where’s the point by point rebuttal by Ashie, HRH and the DHSC/Who Cares? as regards Dr. Rachel Glovers PAC Tynpotwald appearance? The silence is defeaning!

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I see Freedom Travel are doing weekly direct flights to Jersey from 26/6.

I see that Guernsey are no longer out best friends.

I wonder if HRH The Chief Minister is going to swan around and suck up to Jersey like the IOM is their best friend?

He's in beach mode now. He's played it out to the corner flag and is running down the clock.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

He's in beach mode now. He's played it out to the corner flag and is running down the clock.

You mean he couldn’t give a toss? He’s offski, and why bother. I think he has been like that for the last 5 years. Certainly not been any leadership, health (Who Cares Arms Length), Infrastructure, Crime and Justice and Education. The Promenade is in a mess and the kids can’t even use the swimming pool! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think there are two things they are worried about.  The first is that the Indian variant(s) seems to be particularly good at spreading.  Rachel retweeted an interesting graph a while ago showing how it had driven out all other variants in West Bengal:

which suggests it may spread even more strongly that the Kent one.  And we know from the Seychelles that even more widespread vaccination than we have here doesn't stop Covid spreading.

The second is that while there isn't any particular evidence that it is currently more deadly than the current variants (though certainly no less) or that vaccines offer less resistance (though there are hints efficacy may be reduced a bit) , virologists are worried that it would only take one more mutation for this sort of thing to happen.

The Seychelles did use the Chinese vaccine for most of jabs !

Nowhere have the consequences been clearer than in Seychelles, which relied heavily on a Sinopharm vaccine to inoculate more than 60 percent of its population. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I thought HRH The Chief Minister will be publishing the SPC next week. Meanwhile where’s the point by point rebuttal by Ashie, HRH and the DHSC/Who Cares? as regards Dr. Rachel Glovers PAC Tynpotwald appearance? The silence is defeaning!

Well, the SP report is to released this week according to MR.  Today is Friday, expect a press release at 23.45 tonight.

At the PAC Chris Robertshaw asked what had happened to the point by point rebuttal and DA gave the old fashioned courtesy hogwash and said there would still be a point by point rebuttal.  I can't remember if he gave a timeframe, but probably likely in October. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

That 'independent sage' group need to be given less press.

The vaccines still work very very well against this, and at present all known, variants.

If anyone is interested these rational twitter accounts are worth a follow

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout

https://twitter.com/ScienceShared

There are others too, but these are pretty good, Prof Balloux has this in his bio "Currently aspiring to challenge equally those who believe the COVID-19 pandemic is the end times and those denying its existence" 

The sage group are basically what would happen if the characters in the big bang theory were given total control. Most likely really clever but no social skills 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Banker said:

The Seychelles did use the Chinese vaccine for most of jabs !

Nowhere have the consequences been clearer than in Seychelles, which relied heavily on a Sinopharm vaccine to inoculate more than 60 percent of its population. 

SinoPharm has now been approved by WHO and there doesn't seem to have been any problems with it so far.  But it would be interesting to see if there is a difference between the performance of SinoPharm which 57% of those fully vaccinated have received and COVISHIELD (which is AstraZeneca under another name) which was used for the other 43%.

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

SinoPharm has now been approved by WHO and there doesn't seem to have been any problems with it so far.  But it would be interesting to see if there is a difference between the performance of SinoPharm which 57% of those fully vaccinated have received and COVISHIELD (which is AstraZeneca under another name) which was used for the other 43%.

Probably never get that information, anyway UK accelerating vaccinations for all over 50s

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

Boris pushing on with plans as outlined

Sturgeon in Scotland keeping Glasgow in tier 3 when they were supposed to go to tier 2 on Monday. 64 people in the whole of Scotland in hospital with covid but it's all about saving the nhs isn't it. 

But as mentioned he’s accelerating vaccinations, Ashie get cracking, I’m now due Monday for second jab!

Boris Johnson says the government will accelerate remaining second doses to the over 50s and those who are vulnerable in England so they are eight weeks apart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

virologists are worried that it would only take one more mutation for this sort of thing to happen.

...or you might fall under a bus tomorrow.  For pity's sake, get a grip!

If it's Indian variant today, it will be the Narnia next week and the Scunthorpe the week after that.  It's what viruses do.

We have GOT, repeat GOT, to get on with life with whatever variant of the day it might be because poiticians of every hue have become obsessed with CV to the point of stultification. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

SinoPharm has now been approved by WHO and there doesn't seem to have been any problems with it so far.  But it would be interesting to see if there is a difference between the performance of SinoPharm which 57% of those fully vaccinated have received and COVISHIELD (which is AstraZeneca under another name) which was used for the other 

The efficacy rates for SinoPharm and OAZ are in the 70% bracket so what they are seeing is actually within limits.

Plus vaccines biodegrade over time/temperature and with the islands being so remote it's possible that transport and storage could have rendered them less effective. Plus a new variant may in play.

I guess time will tell...

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I think the deeper possibility is should that ever happen, a new, more virulent mutation, or another after that, there may be no life to go back to. Should the vaccines become ineffective against a mutation, and with the only other avenue being permanent lockdown, it won’t be soon before society falls apart.  

It’s the question no-one wants to discuss - although I do remember @wrighty giving a very good explanation of why this wouldn’t be possible - but really, none of us know what’s ahead. It’s the elephant in the room. 

I’m not saying I believe this will happen and I agree wholeheartedly that we must all get on with life but you also could do with accepting that we have no idea what’s coming next. Just saying like. 

Nobody knows what's coming, that's life.

Uk wise they were told last March

12 weeks lockdown to protect the nhs

Wear masks

Social distance

Don't work

Don't see your family 

The vaccine will be given to the vulnerable we can then get out of this.

The public have done everything they've been asked , hospitalizations and deaths are practically 0. How much longer are people supposed to sit put their life on hold because a new variant has popped up? 

I read somewhere there's thousands of variants of the sars virus. That burnt itself out.

Fact is politicians are happy to wait and see because their salary isn't affected, stick them on furlough for months I'm sure we'd be back to normal in no time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Plus vaccines biodegrade over time/temperature and with the islands being so remote it's possible that transport and storage could have rendered them less effective. Plus a new variant may in play.

I guess time will tell...

I'm afraid you are talking absolute nonsense

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm afraid you are talking absolute nonsense

Quite, not sure just how remote the Seychelles are and I am pretty sure they have electricity.  They may also pay in a currency other than conch shells. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4