IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

a virus that in the vast majority of cases produces cold like symptoms .

A lot of people may "get away with it", but it is killing people in their millions (over 3,375,000 and rising at the rate of at least 13,000 per day, worldwide.)

Massive numbers have been hospitalised, some for long periods.

Large numbers have been left with "long covid", which has left them debilitated long term.

It is not "just another" cold, or flu.

That is not just any other scare story, it is how it is. Why else should every country in the world have been trying to fight it?

Try looking at places like India, where they are so desperate they've been dumping bodies into rivers, and plastering themselves with cow dung, because they've been told that will keep the virus away (it would keep anything away!). 

We're well off here, and it is easy to forget about what others are having to suffer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It may not reflect a destitute society, but it represents destitution within a society. 

Absolutely! There is, and always will be people who genuinely need help. Food banks are a good thing, but they are not a solution. 

More a topic for a new thread.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Almost as stupid as your borders comments!

here’s another report on poverty 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/poverty-increased-in-2020-says-housing-charity/

Of course poverty increased last year. The fact that they were contacted by only 500 or so people at a time of very high unemployment and generally reduced income is actually fantastic. In normal times, very few on the Island are in long term poverty. Most people go through blips at some time in their lives. But if you think there is a problem on the IOM with long term poverty, you are even more deluded than I thought. 

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Of course poverty increased last year. The fact that they were contacted by only 500 or so people at a time of very high unemployment and generally reduced income is actually fantastic. In normal times, very few on the Island are in long term poverty. Most people go through blips at some time in their lives. But if you think there is a problem on the IOM with long term poverty, you are even more deluded than I thought. 

There is genuine pockets of poverty but out of those statistics there are those that could be termed ‘undeserving poor’, those scrounging and taking the piss, at the expense of those who have hit rock bottom and are genuine, but at the same time are proactive in trying to resolve their problems and demons, 

A example - some low income families and individuals get assistance from the Island charities towards fuel costs - coal, electric and gas assistance. It has been known for some who suffer from drug issues to sell vouchers for cash. I’m sure others may have heard these tales. 

I am not calling or criticising but telling how it is. Years ago the idea mooted was for a voucher system for those in need to buy food and essentials- no fags or booze! It was shot down in flames. 

There is poverty but it’s not always the idea to throw money at the problem, there are other ways to help, and hopefully the persons in receipt of the help will be able to turn their lives around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Cambon said:

If you don’t think there’s a problem with poverty in the Isle of Man then you are more delusional than your posts suggest.

Theres a massive problem with poverty, a lot of children are underprivileged, don’t get much food etc. Some of this is driven by addiction which is another issue due to minimal mental health provision.

Perhaps if you got off your arse & volunteered at some charities like some of us do you would appreciate the issues rather than listen to your beloved Howard!!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you don’t think there’s a problem with poverty in the Isle of Man then you are more delusional than your posts suggest.

Theres a massive problem with poverty, a lot of children are underprivileged, don’t get much food etc. Some of this is driven by addiction which is another issue due to minimal mental health provision.

Perhaps if you got off your arse & volunteered at some charities like some of us do you would appreciate the issues rather than listen to your beloved Howard!!

Poverty is a problem world wide, including here. I said that above. In your own post you mention what a couple of the problems are. Do you think throwing money and food at those problems is going to help? I don't. Those problems need tackling at the source, not the result. 

And don't try and lecture me on charities! 

9 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Poverty is a problem world wide, including here. I said that above. In your own post you mention what a couple of the problems are. Do you think throwing money and food at those problems is going to help? I don't. Those problems need tackling at the source, not the result. 

And don't try and lecture me on charities! 

You haven’t got a clue as your posts show.

Money is required to tackle the problems at source, read the recent threads on mental health.

If you’ve ever been near a charity dealing with poverty, addiction, deprivation  I would be very surprised .

18 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Tomorrow ;0)

Prepare to be dissapointed.  With half the island thinking whatever they announce is not enough and the other half thinking it isn't enough.

Can't see them announcing anything that everyone is happy with, and the fearful will continue to influence to such an extent that the rest of us still end up stuck without viable travel options.

Just my thoughts.  Hope I am wrong and they just announce a clear route forward that sees us fully open ASAP and that they have been in consultation with airlines over recent months and that more routes are coming online with subsidised fares.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Is the gef website the worst presented website ever made?

Good content, lousy presentation. Trying to be too cool?

No. Just shit.

• Haha 2

Doormatt Hancock on Marr this am stated that the decision on ending restrictions come the 21st June will be made on the 14th June. Because of the variant from India giving cause for concern plus any others that might come our way inbetween times.

Amusingly Marr put up the figures for the seven day average cases per million on the 9th April which showed Pakistan at 21, Bangladesh at 42 and India at 84. Pakistan and Bangladesh went straight on the red list but not India. According to Hancock they were the wrong figures. 

Cue waffle about how robust the border systems are but unfortunately a member of the Border Force had written about how much relies on trust and in any event the Indian Variant was already being passed on by community transmission.

The bottom line is no matter how much Hancock bangs on about how sound the border controls are variants are still getting through. Presumably they will continue to do so as well.