IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Is the gef website the worst presented website ever made?

Good content, lousy presentation. Trying to be too cool?

There are actually a lot worse out there - Gef is only medium dreadful.  Actually it's improved a little over time - I seem to remember everything being in an awful manual typewriter imitation font, that was painful to read.  Though it's possible that preventing you from reading was intentional, given what the content was like at the time.  You were just meant to look at it and feel cool in a sort of sub-hipster way.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Doormatt Hancock on Marr this am stated that the decision on ending restrictions come the 21st June will be made on the 14th June. Because of the variant from India giving cause for concern plus any others that might come our way inbetween times.

Amusingly Marr put up the figures for the seven day average cases per million on the 9th April which showed Pakistan at 21, Bangladesh at 42 and India at 84. Pakistan and Bangladesh went straight on the red list but not India. According to Hancock they were the wrong figures. 

Cue waffle about how robust the border systems are but unfortunately a member of the Border Force had written about how much relies on trust and in any event the Indian Variant was already being passed on by community transmission.

The bottom line is no matter how much Hancock bangs on about how sound the border controls are variants are still getting through. Presumably they will continue to do so as well.

Whatever happened to the Brazil variant or South Africa variant that everyone was so worried about?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

2 weeks of no new cases with a lot of friends, families etc arriving & all having 2 tests is good news which will hopefully lead to more easing as hospital not overwhelmed as predicted by some.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/two-weeks-of-no-new-coronavirus-cases/

It is good news, however I will be amazed if Comin does not play wait and see for at least another week before confirming (or pulling) the one day isolation scheduled for 1st June, so they can see what happens in the NW and the UK in general. My bet is that the Indian variant ends up being as disruptive to the roadmap as the Brazil and South African variants and that everything opens as normal. We can then just look at the world map and play guess the next variant location.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It is good news, however I will be amazed if Comin does not play wait and see for at least another week before confirming (or pulling) the one day isolation scheduled for 1st June,

It won’t there is an announcement Monday or Tuesday. Whether people like it or not. 

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Doormatt Hancock on Marr this am stated that the decision on ending restrictions come the 21st June will be made on the 14th June. Because of the variant from India giving cause for concern plus any others that might come our way inbetween times.

Amusingly Marr put up the figures for the seven day average cases per million on the 9th April which showed Pakistan at 21, Bangladesh at 42 and India at 84. Pakistan and Bangladesh went straight on the red list but not India. According to Hancock they were the wrong figures. 

Cue waffle about how robust the border systems are but unfortunately a member of the Border Force had written about how much relies on trust and in any event the Indian Variant was already being passed on by community transmission.

The bottom line is no matter how much Hancock bangs on about how sound the border controls are variants are still getting through. Presumably they will continue to do so as well.

Much as I dislike Hancock, his points regarding testing and positivity rates were well argued and although the cynic may think that a trade deal announcement played a part, his argument appeared to a layman like me to have some merit. He was less sure footed on the border controls, but let's face it the UK border controls have been woeful for a long time so they were never going to improve markedly just because of Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Whatever happened to the Brazil variant or South Africa variant that everyone was so worried about?

Allegedly got under control by mass testing.

I recall a while ago Van Tam The Man reassuring folks because the current vaccines were proof against the UK dominant variant, the Essex Girl one, there was no need to be concerned about the Brazil or SA because they had been contained.

However Doormatt Hancock stated today that the variant from India is going to become the variant of choice for all of the UK.

Which is why there is currently a major effort to test if the current UK vaccines are effective against it

29 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I don't doubt there will be an announcement, my money is on a 'wait and see and we will make a call next week' type of announcement. 

They cant do that.  People need notice.

Apparently the Ben was completely full outbound this morning. I would imagine that is people figuring they can come back without isolation from the 27th/28th or whatever date they said.  To change it now would cause uproar

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Apparently the Ben was completely full outbound this morning. I would imagine that is people figuring they can come back without isolation from the 27th/28th or whatever date they said.  To change it now would cause uproar

The Ben is in dry dock

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Agreed, people need notice, and I want the borders open now, however, in my uninformed opinion is that they will hold over the decision until the 24th, or sometime later that week until the UK data is in. I personally am currently holding off booking a trip until I get confirmation that the quarantine is dropping down, but unfortunately Comin can delay if they feel it is justified, and frankly there is going to be uproar either way. Roll on the end to this whole thing...

18 minutes ago, trmpton said:

The boat left with less than  30 passengers on this morning. 

Why make it up?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

The boat left with less than  30 passengers on this morning. 

Why make it up?

Not according to a family member who was on it.

If they gave me duff info fair enough, but only relaying what I was told.