IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

People can't have it both ways.  You can denounce the UK government for not closing the borders against Indian arrivals earlier which allowed people to return home carrying the virus.  While at the same time saying that the Manx Government have to keep the borders open so as to allow you to return home.

• Like 3

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

People can't have it both ways.  You can denounce the UK government for not closing the borders against Indian arrivals earlier which allowed people to return home carrying the virus.  While at the same time saying that the Manx Government have to keep the borders open so as to allow you to return home.

No issue with the UK here.

Impossible to keep it out so just let the vaccines do what they can and crack on.

Couldn't care less of the Indian variant gets here personally given our current vaccine status

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

My bet is that the Indian variant ends up being as disruptive to the roadmap as the Brazil and South African variants and that everything opens as normal. We can then just look at the world map and play guess the next variant location.

The worry about the Indian variants and specifically B.1.617.2 is that the latter seems even faster-spreading than the UK/Kent one (B.1.1.7) though that is still the dominant one in the UK at the moment.  The latest Variants of Concern analysis from PHE shows only 19 new cases of the Brazil (Manaus) variant and 81 of the South African one, but 793 of B.1.617.2.

25 minutes ago, trmpton said:

No issue with the UK here.

Impossible to keep it out so just let the vaccines do what they can and crack on.

Couldn't care less of the Indian variant gets here personally given our current vaccine status

Yes I agree. It's unrealistic to pick and choose which variants reach out shores. It's inevitable that it will reach here if we open our borders. We can't hide for ever. 

51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The worry about the Indian variants and specifically B.1.617.2 is that the latter seems even faster-spreading than the UK/Kent one (B.1.1.7) though that is still the dominant one in the UK at the moment.  The latest Variants of Concern analysis from PHE shows only 19 new cases of the Brazil (Manaus) variant and 81 of the South African one, but 793 of B.1.617.2.

I assume that spread will happen within the unvaccinated community anyway, Kent or Indian, just a little quicker with the Indian, but hopefully due in large part to the majority demographics of that cohort it will not overrun the NHS. The vaccinated population are it would seem still protected, so other than an increase in cases, with hopefully only minor additional hospitalisations I do not see it matters what is the dominant variant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I assume that spread will happen within the unvaccinated community anyway, Kent or Indian, just a little quicker with the Indian, but hopefully due in large part to the majority demographics of that cohort it will not overrun the NHS. The vaccinated population are it would seem still protected, so other than an increase in cases, with hopefully only minor additional hospitalisations I do not see it matters what is the dominant variant.

Faster it spreads faster everyone gets it and faster we reach herd immunity.

As long as it isn't killing previously healthy people or making them very ill then I am honestly past caring

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Too much sense, not enough fear.

Try harder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

Unfortunately it does matter.  People are seeing vaccination as some sort of on/off switch - you're either protected or you're not.  But like most thing regarding health it's more about probabilities and likelihood.  So if vaccination reduces your likelihood of catching Covid to a quarter, but it becomes more infectious so you are four times more likely to be exposed to it, then you're just as likely to catch it as before.

Mercifully vaccination does more than that and seems to also reduce hospitalisations and death even if you have been infected.  But as the Seychelles is currently showing, it's not an overnight miracle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

my money is on a 'wait and see and we will make a call next week' type of announcement. 

That's been the policy for the past 14 months so why change?  Make a decision - Mr Toad and the MBE probably scare themselves everytime they look in the bathroom mirror 'cos they can't decide whether to clean teeth or shave.

Decision makers? Leaders? They have neither skills or training and yet we permit these jokers to dictate where and when  we can go, who  and when we can see anyone - and the sheeple lap it up.

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Unfortunately it does matter.  People are seeing vaccination as some sort of on/off switch - you're either protected or you're not.  But like most thing regarding health it's more about probabilities and likelihood.  So if vaccination reduces your likelihood of catching Covid to a quarter, but it becomes more infectious so you are four times more likely to be exposed to it, then you're just as likely to catch it as before.

Mercifully vaccination does more than that and seems to also reduce hospitalisations and death even if you have been infected.  But as the Seychelles is currently showing, it's not an overnight miracle.

Understood re. catching it, but my main thrust is that you are unlikely to be hospitalised, which is a positive as it is all about saving the NHS apparently. I know I am being flippant, but frankly providing we don’t over run the wards and the morgues we need to vaccinate those who will have it and move on.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

For the zillionth time this is not what herd immunity means and not how it is achieved.  The only way herd immunity has ever been achieved is via vaccination.

Do you not think we are there yet on the Island?

I do