IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Did they use the same vaccines as us? Nope

Yup.  Or at least one of the vaccines is the same (AZ).  The other was different (Sinopharm for them , Pfizer for us) but there's nothing really to suggest it would make that much difference or that Sinopharm isn't as good as AZ.

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

but there's nothing really to suggest it would make that much difference or that Sinopharm isn't as good as AZ.

Hmm. There is. I can't be bothered finding it again right now but the studies from Chile, which had a massive issue earlier in the year at the start of their vaccination program suggested that the first dose efficiency of the sinopharm vaccine was much lower than AZ (and others). Full protection, two doses + two weeks appears to work pretty well though, similar end results.

Edit - paywall link sorry https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/first-jab-of-chinese-sinovac-vaccine-does-little-good-says-chile-n0df0pzg3

"

Chilean scientists are warning that China’s Sinovac vaccination, which is widely used in the developing world, offers “very weak” protection until after the second dose.

The study of 10.5 million people showed that the vaccine was just 16 per cent effective in guarding against Covid infection after one dose, rising to 67 per cent efficacy after the second dose.

The initial low efficacy helps to answer the vexing question facing Chile: why is the country experiencing a surge in cases, despite the fact that it has initiated one of the world’s fastest vaccine rollouts?

“With one dose, we know the protection is very weak,” Claudia Cortés, an infectious disease expert at the Santa Maria Clinic in the Chilean capital Santiago told the Wall Street Journal."

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hmm. There is. I can't be bothered finding it again right now but the studies from Chile, which had a massive issue earlier in the year at the start of their vaccination program suggested that the first dose efficiency of the sinopharm vaccine was much lower than AZ (and others). Full protection, two doses + two weeks appears to work pretty well though, similar end results.

Edit - paywall link sorry https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/first-jab-of-chinese-sinovac-vaccine-does-little-good-says-chile-n0df0pzg3

"

Chilean scientists are warning that China’s Sinovac vaccination, which is widely used in the developing world, offers “very weak” protection until after the second dose.

The study of 10.5 million people showed that the vaccine was just 16 per cent effective in guarding against Covid infection after one dose, rising to 67 per cent efficacy after the second dose.

The initial low efficacy helps to answer the vexing question facing Chile: why is the country experiencing a surge in cases, despite the fact that it has initiated one of the world’s fastest vaccine rollouts?

“With one dose, we know the protection is very weak,” Claudia Cortés, an infectious disease expert at the Santa Maria Clinic in the Chilean capital Santiago told the Wall Street Journal."

Cheers.  Saved me looking it up.

Our situation and there's aren't comparable.  And even if they were there really aren't many deaths as a result.  Not enough that I would delay progress 

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yes I was thinking about the situation with both doses, given the very high level of  full  vaccination in the Seychelles.  Apart from AZ we don't really have a lot of data on one dose efficiency and they're the only manufacturer that says it's OK to leave a larger gap (Sinopharm is 4 weeks).   

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes I was thinking about the situation with both doses, given the very high level of  full  vaccination in the Seychelles.  Apart from AZ we don't really have a lot of data on one dose efficiency and they're the only manufacturer that says it's OK to leave a larger gap (Sinopharm is 4 weeks).   

So nothing to suggest even of we got the "Indian variant" here it would be a sufficient issue to delay anything then?

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So nothing to suggest even of we got the "Indian variant" here it would be a sufficient issue to delay anything then?

I think the UK gov are terrified of fucking things up again which is one of the reasons they are being so so cautious.

The widely reported 'let the bodies pile up' comment Boris might not have actually made came after taking advice from some of the GBD scientists, who were obviously completely wrong, and so I suspect that now theyre listening a bit too much from the opposite side - the zero covid gang - who are getting too much press.

56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Obviously we're not because the Seychelles are more heavily vaccinated (98% of target population have had one dose, 86% have had two) than we are (82% and 21%).  If they can have an outbreak, so can we.

As has been posted by many others but ignored by you mainly the Seychelles used mostly the Chinese vaccine which has not been peer reviewed as no data provided 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trmpton said:

100% the image the media wants to paint of the Indian variant is this - if they were all also riding mopeds in flip flops. It’s only apocalyptic imagery that registers with a lot of the covid worriers now. 

6E15789D-31B1-4564-BC23-77D784F6E033.jpeg

2 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Anyone booked a holiday yet? I was a bit surprised by this news. 

https://www.onthebeach.co.uk/summer-2021-update

There are lots of unsuccessful businesses that have worked out when UK furlough and covid loans will end so that they can file for bankruptcy just when normal service is expected to resume as they were on the brink before this all started so it’s not worth the effort to even try to take money off customers. That’s one of the most brazen ones I’ve seen who can’t even be arsed trying.

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

That's been the policy for the past 14 months so why change?  Make a decision - Mr Toad and the MBE probably scare themselves everytime they look in the bathroom mirror 'cos they can't decide whether to clean teeth or shave.

Decision makers? Leaders? They have neither skills or training and yet we permit these jokers to dictate where and when  we can go, who  and when we can see anyone - and the sheeple lap it up.

Neither of them expected anything like this when they signed up and won the popularity contest. I really think they are doing the best they can. And for an insignificant twit like yourself to anonymously castigate them is abhorrent. Could you have done better? NO! Could they have done better with hindsight? Yes. Even you could. However,  it really is time for you to pipe down. The travel restrictions will ease when the time is right. That is not now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Neither of them expected anything like this when they signed up and won the popularity contest. I really think they are doing the best they can. And for an insignificant twit like yourself to anonymously castigate them is abhorrent. Could you have done better? NO! Could they have done better with hindsight? Yes. Even you could. However,  it really is time for you to pipe down. The travel restrictions will ease when the time is right. That is not now. 

Give over.

No testing of arrivals last year but still keeping people's family out?

That didn't need hindsight.  It needed half a braincell 

Edited by trmpton

6 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Much as I dislike Hancock, his points regarding testing and positivity rates were well argued and although the cynic may think that a trade deal announcement played a part, his argument appeared to a layman like me to have some merit. He was less sure footed on the border controls, but let's face it the UK border controls have been woeful for a long time so they were never going to improve markedly just because of Covid.

Obviously Hancock had been well briefed. His story that testing had been fewer in numbers in Pakistan and Bangladesh compared to India so their numbers are not to be trusted cut no ice with me when you consider how big India and it's population is compared to it's neighbours. Plus Hancock's belief that because they had caught some trying to work the system then they must have caught them all was extremely naive. Especially as variants are finding the UK's borders very porous to put it mildly!

Fail...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkPark said:

100% the image the media wants to paint of the Indian variant is this - if they were all also riding mopeds in flip flops. It’s only apocalyptic imagery that registers with a lot of the covid worriers now. 

Absolute garbage.

Hancock claimed the current UK vaccines were effective against the Indian variant...

End of.