IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Not really.

Don't forget the number of paying travellers is a trickle. As I posted about a dozen on one of our sailings.

The rest would presumably be sent there by 111 and they get tested free, gratis and for nothing.

Which makes the £50 charge look even more mean-spirited...

If the number if tests is a trickle then that makes to cost higher doesn't it. How many are being done at the moment?

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How can that possibly be? Surely it depends massively on the number of tests undertaken per day. The staff costs are fixed so if there was only 1 test then you would have all the costs on that one and if there were 700 it would cost 1/700th.

Like I have said before the true cost might be hard to calculate.

If you clicked the link (no one ever does) you'll see that Rachel based her calculation on 60 tests a day, which at the time was a bit low, which was why I said the costs might be high.  But staff costs aren't quite fixed because the higher the number tested, the more you need extra people to do the swabbing, lab work, paperwork, 11 calls etc.  Even if they are existing NHS staff, there may need to be overtime, bank staff to cover other duties or whatever.

Accountancy and costing isn't always easy and rarely definitive, but that's not an excuse for not making an effort.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you clicked the link (no one ever does) you'll see that Rachel based her calculation on 60 tests a day, which at the time was a bit low, which was why I said the costs might be high.  But staff costs aren't quite fixed because the higher the number tested, the more you need extra people to do the swabbing, lab work, paperwork, 11 calls etc.  Even if they are existing NHS staff, there may need to be overtime, bank staff to cover other duties or whatever.

Accountancy and costing isn't always easy and rarely definitive, but that's not an excuse for not making an effort.

HaHa. That's all true. What I meant was its hard for us to calculate as we don't know all the facts. It should be easy enough for DHSC to work out though.

It seems the £50 might have been a deterrent to travel.

I'm not saying its cheap or even good value, but its hardly a rip off. I think some countries were charging £100's at the border and Boots charge £99

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not saying its cheap or even good value, but its hardly a rip off. I think some countries were charging £100's at the border and Boots charge £99

I suspect they just took a figure out of the air that was less than what was being commercially charged.  But because they were insisting on three tests per person it was still a lot more for travellers.  Whether it acted as a 'deterrent' I don't know - most people affected were probably too well off to care or forced to go off-Island anyway.

Charging was always a stupid policy in the circumstances, but there is this obsession in the Civil Service about showing that you are 'commercially aware' even if the process ends up costing more money than it makes. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Charging was always a stupid policy in the circumstances, but there is this obsession in the Civil Service about showing that you are 'commercially aware' even if the process ends up costing more money than it makes. 

I agree completely but it's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario as you can bet if they hadn't charged there would be a question in Keys about money spent on it and a 8 month total figure that waters eyes and causes loud choruses of rhubarb and harrumph

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect they just took a figure out of the air that was less than what was being commercially charged.  But because they were insisting on three tests per person it was still a lot more for travellers.  Whether it acted as a 'deterrent' I don't know - most people affected were probably too well off to care or forced to go off-Island anyway.

No profiteering says Ashford!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-isnt-profiteering-over-covid-tests-says-ashford/

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's probably not far from the truth

Charge £50

Cost of Administering charge - £51

22 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I agree completely but it's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario as you can bet if they hadn't charged there would be a question in Keys about money spent on it and a 8 month total figure that waters eyes and causes loud choruses of rhubarb and harrumph

Yes that's the good point. If it was free everyone would be moaning about why should we pay of people choose to go off Island.

4 hours ago, trmpton said:

And many were refused.  And the point is they should have been testing people, if they had we wouldn't have had lockdown 2

The point is they should have let people in but tested them.

When we were put into lockdown two, the person travelling tested negative on arrival and negative on day 13. It was the local person they were isolating with that caught it from the traveller and passed it on as only the travellers were tested then. It was a case that slipped through at a time when travellers could isolate with family. It was changed just before Christmas. Too late for this specific case. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

When we were put into lockdown two, the person travelling tested negative on arrival and negative on day 13. It was the local person they were isolating with that caught it from the traveller and passed it on as only the travellers were tested then. It was a case that slipped through at a time when travellers could isolate with family. It was changed just before Christmas. Too late for this specific case. 

Yeah I know.  Thanks for the update.

Had they tested the traveller when they arrived they would have known to test the rest of the household.

They didn't, because they are clueless