IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't have a proper business, you're right. I'm just a self-employed builder kind of guy who mostly subcontracts, but I've got a massive patio and wall job to do, and there is so much work about that I could do with doing it quicker so i can go do more. People keep phoning, 'come and do this man', there's a crazy amount of work about. I doubt you'd be capable tbh, even though its just moving blocks, slabs and mixes.

Have you told your government colleagues about your sideline and probably not paying tax either 

Haha! You're a funny man. Some subcontract work I pay tax on, 20% from zero, but after having so much ORDERED time off I can comfortably use my tax exempt card for a bit. 

You properly come across as a nutter. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you don't have ANY of the stupid restrictions that are in place for daily life for so much of the western world. There are still mask mandates in your beloved Jersey for fucks sake.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Haha! You're a funny man. Some subcontract work I pay tax on, 20% from zero, but after having so much ORDERED time off I can comfortably use my tax exempt card for a bit. 

You properly come across as a nutter. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you don't have ANY of the stupid restrictions that are in place for daily life for so much of the western world. There are still mask mandates in your beloved Jersey for fucks sake.

The only nutter as you like to say is you, strange how you resort to personal insults as soon as anyone challenges your Covid theories.

go back to supporting government and cheering Howie 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

The only nutter as you like to say is you, strange how you resort to personal insults as soon as anyone challenges your Covid theories.

go back to supporting government and cheering Howie 

I dislike our government immensely.

And what covid theories? Here, here's an opportunity for you to dismiss what I think.

FACT - The virus doesn't travel, people do.

FACT - for the majority of people the illness is mild.

FACT - for the elderly or already ill the illness is devastating.

FACT - A huge part of the western world need to wear masks or socially distance STILL.

THEORY - The best way to protect the vulnerable is to have extremely low levels of the virus in general circulation.

THEORY - The best way to allow schools to get on with normal stuff is to have extremely low levels of the virus in general circulation

THEORY - The best way to keep things moving forward and avoid reimposition of restrictions or a fucking lockdown is to restrict entrance to the Island

THEORY/FACT - The best way to ensure that arrivals do not spread the virus is to enforce a 14 day isolation period.

FACT - The isolation is NOT being enforced strongly enough

I don't think there is anything nuts or government supporting in that, but feel free to take it apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Jersey is monstering this. Our incompetent lazy bastards need to grow some balls and get the economy going.

Jersey are monstering it, with social distancing, face masks at work, limited numbers at gatherings, and loads of other restrictions. Do you want to go back to that? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Jersey are monstering it, with social distancing, face masks at work, limited numbers at gatherings, and loads of other restrictions. Do you want to go back to that? 

Oh that day is coming, you can be sure of that with this half baked half open nonsense we’ve got going on now.

As soon as one or two cases appear & they will, the fume will be off the charts chocka.

Test, mitigate, control but reopen.

Edited by Nom de plume

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

And what covid theories? Here, here's an opportunity for you to dismiss what I think.

FACT - A huge part of the western world need to wear masks or socially distance STILL.

THEORY - The best way to protect the vulnerable is to have extremely low levels of the virus in general circulation.

THEORY - The best way to allow schools to get on with normal stuff is to have extremely low levels of the virus in general circulation

THEORY - The best way to keep things moving forward and avoid reimposition of restrictions or a fucking lockdown is to restrict entrance to the Island

THEORY/FACT - The best way to ensure that arrivals do not spread the virus is to enforce a 14 day isolation period.

I don't think there is anything nuts or government supporting in that, but feel free to take it apart.

Well said

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Oh that day is coming, you can be sure of that with this half baked half open nonsense we’ve got going on now.

As soon as one or two cases appear & they will, the fume will be off the charts chocka.

That's an expensive solution you are proposing. Perhaps the time will come for that. But more likely as well as, not instead of, travel restrictions.

The cost of testing surely has to be offset against an analysis of the actual extent to which the current restrictions are undermining business and the economy (more than Covid is anyhow). And there seems to be little real evidence that they are - given that tourism isn't really a thing here much and is anyhow over for this year.

Only 3 or 4 people here seem to be arguing for a change of policy. Their arguments seem to relate to fairly unimportant stuff - visiting relatives who haven't got Skype, unnecessarily taking offspring to university and the occasional old fashioned face-to-face business meeting. None of these things are actually restricted of course.

34 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Thread winner right there...

5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

i was looking at the Treasury predicted best and worse case scenarios for revenue loss yesterday and it’s entirely conceivable that one of the worse case outcomes, which is a shortfall of nearly £200,000,000 in income tax VAT and other taxes, is entirely possible if people don’t get back to work and back spending and supporting local businesses and, of course, Manx businesses successfully writing new business off Island. On the basis that Cannan has approval to borrow up to £250,000,0000 it’s not going to touch the sides if we’re looking at a £200,000,000 problem for government alone. That leaves little or no money to support any other business sectors or extending salary support schemes and other packages.

It’s very clear that government itself is likely to be the biggest loser in terms of lost income short term so all the smug ones thinking that it won’t affect them may well yet get a surprise if they think the Island is booming due to the border restrictions and those out of work are just taking the piss as there are ‘hundreds’ of jobs out there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Southfork said:

It’s very clear that government itself is likely to be the biggest loser in terms of lost income short term so all the smug ones thinking that it won’t affect them may well yet get a surprise if they think the Island is booming due to the border restrictions and those out of work are just taking the piss as there are ‘hundreds’ of jobs out there. 

They don’t understand the long game my friend.

It’s all the here & now and people wanting ‘hollibops’.

Quite frankly, they are idiots that deserve all that is coming.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Precisely. Its great we have our freedoms right now. But what it does mean is that the chance of mass infection should new case(s) arise are very high.

Calculated risk, maybe. But I still see no reason we can't have a rigorous testing regime step with social distancing reintroduced to be honest, it makes far more sense as a logical step than this 'no chance of reopening properly step we have right now.

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

I did laugh at the headline that people are apparently “snubbing” staycations much to the annoyance of government. I just wonder how many people realize that most people can’t afford to have a fake holiday 10 miles away from where they live doing nothing but going to a different pub/restaurant and would rather work to recover lost earnings. We’re not all out there cycling and sitting in the garden on full pay and demanding the right to a fake holiday to use up our entitlements. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

They don’t understand the long game my friend.

Quite frankly, they are idiots that deserve all that is coming.

For the most part, as always on the IOM, the factors which most affect our little local slice of the wider British economy are international and global. Covid is a challenge obviously - but for many businesses and professionals everywhere it is also, frankly, an opportunity.

Your simplistic anti-government stuff doesn't really quantify how you actually believe a change in our local government's policy would make much difference to the economy. It's impossible to believe that a few people missing old-fashioned face-to-face meetings (because they cannot for some reason self-isolated here), is really going to make or break the outcome.

Edited by pongo

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

Your simplistic anti-government stuff doesn't really quantify how you actually believe a change in our local government's policy would make much difference to the economy.

More attempts to polarize what has been a sensible wider debate via aggressive accusations of government bashing. That isn’t really happening. 

• Like 1