IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

So great for residents but hospitality being shafted again 

Think it’s a difficult one for them to be honest.

There has to be some kind of token isolation / testing regime for residents & family and by doing so probably rules out the tourist market on a larger scale.

The hoteliers won’t mind, full wack financial support for not so much as changing a sheet.

Tough on restaurants & bars though, they do rely on non-resident foot fall in the week to steady things, particularly during the spring / summer.

6 hours ago, trmpton said:

You are quite special.  You also seem to assume everyone only needs to travel for holidays.

You funny.

Twice I've had to self-isolate because with us family means loyalty, duty and obligation freely given.

However I'm glad to say my days of playing "hurry up and wait somewhere else" in airports is well over.

But really, the idea that going to the UK is somehow markedly different from the island is clearly a nonsense. Unless it was somewhere unique like the Lake District or Orkney with the incomparable Skara Brae of course

Still, whatever helps you get through your day.

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

There are hundreds of people for whom pre covid it was very rare for them to spend 7 days straight on island.  Loads of people who for loads of reasons are off island at least once a week.

Just because it isn't your lifestyle doesn't mean it doesn't work for lots of people

Hundreds? Loads? A very small minority surely? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Hundreds? Loads? A very small minority surely? 

Hundreds is a small minority.

It really isn't that uncommon.

I did 15 years in a local office where part of my role was training new staff each Thursday- in London.  Just one of lots of examples

27 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You funny.

Twice I've had to self-isolate because with us family means loyalty, duty and obligation freely given.

However I'm glad to say my days of playing "hurry up and wait somewhere else" in airports is well over.

But really, the idea that going to the UK is somehow markedly different from the island is clearly a nonsense. Unless it was somewhere unique like the Lake District or Orkney with the incomparable Skara Brae of course

Still, whatever helps you get through your day.

You won't read this because you have me on ignore, but missing from your definition of family is love.  All about the honourable motivations and sacrifices you make, not about helping or easing the suffering of a loved family member, or even the pure pleasure of seeing them.  No surprise there.  

You still don't understand what a staycation is, ie in our context it mean staying here.  Nor that many people have all kinds of reasons completely unrelated to a bucket and spade, to travel to the UK. 

TBH, it is not for anyone else to judge the merits of a trip off island providing it is in line with whatever restrictions are applying. 

If you were such a good soul, you would understand that. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Hundreds is a small minority.

It really isn't that uncommon.

I did 15 years in a local office where part of my role was training new staff each Thursday- in London.  Just one of lots of examples

So yes, maybe you, and I suppose hundreds like you, need to take stock of the situation and reconsider the Isle of Man as a place to live and work. Although I can't see anywhere else being much better. This pandemic thing is right frustrating.

Incidentally, all these years later I would imagine there is no need to send anyone to London once a week. Video conferencing was around 30 years ago it just wasn't cool enough, although it's the norm now that even one's granny can easily 'Zoom' around the world.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

What is the difference between Level 2 and what we are moving into (2.5)?

Is it just the test & 24/48 hr isolation requirement pending result?

Effectively, the borders policy has not changed. There are no new groups of people being allowed in. 

What has changed is the isolation requirement. This is good for local people wanting to travel to the UK, but not really for anyone else. However, locals travelling need to remember they will have to isolate if they test positive on either day 0 or day 6. 

It is a small step forward, but slightly disappointing. 

What was more worrying was Howard's attitude to the UK infection rate. I think the 50/100k rate that Jersey is moving to would be good here. That said, after all the post Eide parties last weekend, I would not be surprised to see the UK rate over 50 in a couple of weeks time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cambon said:

Effectively, the borders policy has not changed. There are no new groups of people being allowed in. 

What has changed is the isolation requirement. This is good for local people wanting to travel to the UK, but not really for anyone else. However, locals travelling need to remember they will have to isolate if they test positive on either day 0 or day 6. 

It is a small step forward, but slightly disappointing. 

What was more worrying was Howard's attitude to the UK infection rate. I think the 50/100k rate that Jersey is moving to would be good here. That said, after all the post Eide parties last weekend, I would not be surprised to see the UK rate over 50 in a couple of weeks time. 

The changes in isolation is also good news for families traveling over to IOM as after a test everyone us out of isolation & down to pub or whatever. Before it’s was 7 days + 3 days extra not going anywhere so it put loads of coming over.

Personally I’m not bothered about others coming over but hospitality will be very disappointed again 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Banker said:

The changes in isolation is also good news for families traveling over to IOM as after a test everyone us out of isolation & down to pub or whatever. Before it’s was 7 days + 3 days extra not going anywhere so it put loads of coming over.

I know lots of people who have booked to come over so to say that it hasn’t changed is totally false. It’s changed a lot for a lot of people. No need for anything more than a few days inconvenience so it will encourage a lot more movement between here and the UK and visa versa. Families who have been actively barred from seeing each other by unneeded draconian rules (which were not copied in other crown dependencies who retained family visits) can finally meet up again and mix in bars and restaurants after a few short days.

7 hours ago, Barlow said:

Although I can't see anywhere else being much better. 

To be honest I can’t see a poster like you seeing anything positive in anything for at least the next decade so your opinion hardly a reliable benchmark. 

• Like 2