IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Latest UK 14 day Infection rate is 45.2. Its fairly stable but certainly not coming down.

30 will be unachievable

image.png.a938b1ee8b22a47e15f104f8977cb7d3.png

Like I said, our best bet is to all work together to get our rate the same or higher.

Loads of people booking travel now so hopefully we can get some community spread going and open up again.

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Latest UK 14 day Infection rate is 45.2. Its fairly stable but certainly not coming down.

30 will be unachievable

image.png.a938b1ee8b22a47e15f104f8977cb7d3.png

Lots of the cases & hospitalization numbers from Indian variants seem to be from those who refused vaccinations even though they were eligible, should have followed Germany lead & quarantined whole apartment blocks 

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Where (which areas) is it rising, what is the age demographic, have they been vaccinated, are hospital admissions rising?

You know the answers.

It used to be about protect the NHS, now it's about case numbers. Unfortunately the conversations we are having now we will be having in Winter when the Indian variant is replaced by the Mozambique variant which will be replaced by the Russian variant and on we go. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It used to be about protect the NHS, now it's about case numbers. Unfortunately the conversations we are having now we will be having in Winter when the Indian variant is replaced by the Mozambique variant which will be replaced by the Russian variant and on we go. 

And Portugese variant.

The point being, there is a pandemic going on. And all people want to do is travel. It's damned annoying this pandemic.

Bit of a tangent I know but did everyone catch the Jason Morrhouse question for All Cannan in April about support for people forced wo work from home.

"in April 2020 the Assessor of Income Tax issued a practice note which allowed employers to reimburse employees an amount of up to £8 a week or £35 per month without reporting it through the payroll".

"In the absence of this concession, or where an employee works at home on a regular basis but has not been reimbursed the additional costs by their employer, the employee can already claim a deduction for the cost of any expenses that are expended wholly and exclusively in acquiring their income in their annual tax return"

Julie Edge asked if it was available to Civil Servants working from home and Mr Cannan said he would get back to her. I can't find whether he did or not on Hansard. 

There has not been much publicity about this. Surely just an oversight.

29 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And Portugese variant.

The point being, there is a pandemic going on. And all people want to do is travel. It's damned annoying this pandemic.

I actually agree. The clamour for gratuitous summer sun is palpable.

There is a difference however when it comes to U.K. travel to see family or execute business.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Apple said:

Bit of a tangent I know but did everyone catch the Jason Morrhouse question for All Cannan in April about support for people forced wo work from home.

"in April 2020 the Assessor of Income Tax issued a practice note which allowed employers to reimburse employees an amount of up to £8 a week or £35 per month without reporting it through the payroll".

"In the absence of this concession, or where an employee works at home on a regular basis but has not been reimbursed the additional costs by their employer, the employee can already claim a deduction for the cost of any expenses that are expended wholly and exclusively in acquiring their income in their annual tax return"

Julie Edge asked if it was available to Civil Servants working from home and Mr Cannan said he would get back to her. I can't find whether he did or not on Hansard. 

There has not been much publicity about this. Surely just an oversight.

That's interesting.  It is good to see some recognition that WFH has cost implications for the employee, possibly offset by savings in travel and meal costs.   It is this type of consequence that does need some attention at the employee level, and the broader implications for the wider economy, some good and some bad, but they need to be thought through.   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And Portugese variant.

Is it still a pandemic in the UK? 

Fans back at the football last night and at the weekend. 

7 deaths in the whole of the UK yesterday.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Is it still a pandemic in the UK? 

It's still a global pandemic. I don't think the WHO specifies it country by country, but clearly the impact is different in each.

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

we can get some community spread going and open up again

I don't think so - perhaps in a sane and rational world but that disappeared 14 months ago.

We are dealing with the parish council here and at the prospect of 'community spread' panic will spread like wild-fire. Mr Toad will take the line of least resistance and adopt the first line of a politician's defence namely cover-arse to avoid any blame and raise the draw-bridge.

4 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

I don't think so - perhaps in a sane and rational world but that disappeared 14 months ago.

We are dealing with the parish council here and at the prospect of 'community spread' panic will spread like wild-fire. Mr Toad will take the line of least resistance and adopt the first line of a politician's defence namely cover-arse to avoid any blame and raise the draw-bridge.

I disagree.  I bet that they have already decided to just let it run as the risks will be minimal, and that they are actually hoping it happens sooner rather than later and people then realise there is actually nothing to worry about.

To be clear I am not suggesting it is  a hoax and that there was nothing to worry about last year, there was.  I honestly believe the tipping point where vaccines mean the risk no longer justifies restrictions has been reached and passed some weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I disagree.

Good - that ability is the foundation-stone of a free and open society.

I would simply point out that the the management and decision making to date by Quayle, Ashworth and Ewart (plus the invisible 'precautionary principle' adherents in the background) suggests otherwise.

The opportunity to 'let it loose' was met with the last lockdown - they'll do the same again as soon as someone gets moved onto the ICU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Utah 01 said:

Good - that ability is the foundation-stone of a free and open society.

That is good.  Because I disagree again 🤣

I guess we will find out in the next couple of weeks when we inevitably get an outbreak.  Time will tell.

I hope I am.right, part of me fears you might be, but if you are it will be driven by HQ himself rather than those advising him and now we know he isn't standing again hopefully he can act in our best interests without worrying about his come september.

18 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

I would simply point out that the the management and decision making to date by Quayle, Ashworth and Ewart (plus the invisible 'precautionary principle' adherents in the background) suggests otherwise.

The opportunity to 'let it loose' was met with the last lockdown - they'll do the same again as soon as someone gets moved onto the ICU. 

Quite.

It's almost as if they believe in the sanctity of human life....

Edited by P.K.
  • Haha 1