IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

EU ambassadors have backed proposals to reopen borders for non-essential travel from countries with low infection rates

EU set to ease travel restrictions for vaccinated non-EU visitors

A decision on whether to add the UK and other countries to the EU's "safe list" will be made on Friday

Edited by snowman

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

but if you are it will be driven by HQ himself rather than those advising him and now we know he isn't standing again hopefully he can act in our best interests without worrying about his come september.

There was a turning point at the end of January where I think HQ saw off all the main Cabinet Office pant wetters who had failed around the SPC breach and it all diverged from the eradication mantra as essentially it’s unworkable if we still want an economy. If it was up to some of them we’d have never opened up again.

• Like 1

Boris:

Latest data (this morning).

Indian variant not transmissible to vaccinated population.

We’ve double jabbed everyone at most risk.

Move on or someone find a new variant quick.

What do we want. Fear. When do we want it. Now!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Boris:

Latest data (this morning).

Indian variant not transmissible to vaccinated population.

We’ve double jabbed everyone at most risk.

Move on or someone find a new variant quick.

What do we want. Fear. When do we want it. Now!

Indian variant not transmissible to vaccinated population. Hurrah. Great Joy:hug:

We’ve double jabbed everyone at most risk. Oh No we haven't. We are miles off

55- 59 - Isle of Man number with 2 jabs - 8 :(

55- 59 Jersey number with 2 jabs - 5981 :D

But don't forget they only get the same number as us

5 hours ago, trmpton said:

Like I said, our best bet is to all work together to get our rate the same or higher.

Loads of people booking travel now so hopefully we can get some community spread going and open up again.

Although I kind of agree, any serious amount of community spread is a potential threat to the NHS. That could end up in another lockdown which would be a disaster. Is it not better to take Ashy's baby steps for another few weeks whilst we catch up on second jabs of the vulnerable? 

9 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Although I kind of agree, any serious amount of community spread is a potential threat to the NHS. That could end up in another lockdown which would be a disaster. Is it not better to take Ashy's baby steps for another few weeks whilst we catch up on second jabs of the vulnerable? 

The vulnerable are double jabbed or will be this week.

Being over 50 and having  no underlying health conditions does not make you vulnerable.

How many otherwise healthy 50 to 60 year olds have really struggled with COVID?  Very very few, and of those who did how many of them had been first jabbed several weeks ago? 

How many of them contracted said virus amongst a population where all those above 60 were double jabbed, and all those 18 to 60 with any vulnerability were double jabbed (this includes my Mrs, and neither of us have any clue why she has had both, so their definition of "vulnerable" must be pretty broad) and every body else who wanted it other than children had had a first jab.

Clue - you won't need many hands to count them on.

The risk at this point in time is so minute it doesn't warrant any restrictions at all.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Also, the only spread of any note would be in children, and they don't get ill from it unless they are already very very vulnerable.  Being brutally honest any child vulnerable enough that COVID is a significant risk is already at risk from so many other things..........

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

The vulnerable are double jabbed or will be this week.

Being over 50 and having  no underlying health conditions does not make you vulnerable.

You are mixing up extremely clinically vulnerable with just plain old vulnerable. The JVCI recommended that the following groups were given priority due to the high risk of mortality or serious illness if they catch COVID 19

The Government of Jersey have spotted this and are now just completing 2nd jabs for all those over 50. We haven't even started

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/17/indian-variant-concerns-prompt-change-to-vaccination-roll-out-for-at-risk-islanders/

1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals[footnote 1]
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]
  7. all those 60 years of age and over
  8. all those 55 years of age and over
  9. all those 50 years of age and over

17 minutes ago, trmpton said:

How many otherwise healthy 50 to 60 year olds have really struggled with COVID?  Very very few, and of those who did how many of them had been first jabbed several weeks ago? 

I know 3. Ok not representative I admit but...

Case 1 - 59 years old. Caught it few months ago. Very ill but not life threatening. No hospitalisation. Still has shortness of breath and probably always will.

Case 2 and 3 - Caught it at Hydro. Both early 60's. Needed ICU (5 days) and oxygen. No ventilator. Both Ok now.

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are mixing up extremely clinically vulnerable with just plain old vulnerable. The JVCI recommended that the following groups were given priority due to the high risk of mortality or serious illness if they catch COVID 19

The Government of Jersey have spotted this and are now just completing 2nd jabs for all those over 50. We haven't even started

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/17/indian-variant-concerns-prompt-change-to-vaccination-roll-out-for-at-risk-islanders/

1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals[footnote 1]
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]
  7. all those 60 years of age and over
  8. all those 55 years of age and over
  9. all those 50 years of age and over

Well my Mrs is double jabbed and she isn't any of those.

How many healthy people between 50 and 60, which is what we are talking about, have actually been ill?

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Well my Mrs is double jabbed and she isn't any of those.

How many healthy people between 50 and 60, which is what we are talking about, have actually been ill?

They haven't been ill because they haven't been infected.

Don't get me wrong. I am as desperate as anyone to get the borders fully open on the 30th June.

However my strategy is different to yours. I am convinced that COMIN with cite the lack of vaccination to the O50's as a reason not to (in addition to the 14 day infection rate in the UK not being below 30). It will be a position we have chosen because we have not adapted (too much hassle) even though other jurisdictions seem to have adapted very quickly and easily

I can't believe you can't see the writing on the wall

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

They haven't been ill because they haven't been infected.

Don't get me wrong. I am as desperate as anyone to get the borders fully open on the 30th June.

However my strategy is different to yours. I am convinced that COMIN with cite the lack of vaccination to the O50's as a reason not to (in addition to the 14 day infection rate in the UK not being below 30). It will be a position we have chosen because we have not adapted (too much hassle) even though other jurisdictions seem to have adapted very quickly and easily

I can't believe you can't see the writing on the wall

I didn't say I couldn't see the writing on the wall.  I said restrictions at this stage aren't warranted.

Re your examples,  while bad for them, I am assuming pre first jab and pre everyone else being jabbed, so not remotely relevant 

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

I didn't say I couldn't see the writing on the wall.  I said restrictions at this stage aren't warranted.

Re your examples,  while bad for them, I am assuming pre first jab and pre everyone else being jabbed, so not remotely relevant 

Forgot to state that. Second two cases had had 1st Jab only

Whether you and I think they are not warranted or not will be irrelevant. This Island is full of oldies and oldies with influence. Oldies with votes. Oldies that have enough influence to get a veto any general opening until said oldies have had their two jabs + 2 weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Also, the only spread of any note would be in children, and they don't get ill from it unless they are already very very vulnerable.  Being brutally honest any child vulnerable enough that COVID is a significant risk is already at risk from so many other things..........

With regards to your over 50s comments, Happy Diner answered it perfectly. Since the beginning of the pandemic, I know 12 people over here who tested positive for the virus. None were travel related. Five were children. All 12 had symptoms and were ill (including the children). None needed hospital treatment. At least two have long Covid. Only four were over 50. 

That is great for your wife that she has had both jabs. She is very lucky. 

For me, my second jab is not until late June. I am not living in a bunker, as Banker would have you believe. However, I will tell you, if we open fully at the end of June, I will be bunkering down until two weeks after my second jab, when it has had a chance to take effect.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cambon said:

With regards to your over 50s comments, Happy Diner answered it perfectly. Since the beginning of the pandemic, I know 12 people over here who tested positive for the virus. None were travel related. Five were children. All 12 had symptoms and were ill (including the children). None needed hospital treatment. At least two have long Covid. Only four were over 50. 

That is great for your wife that she has had both jabs. She is very lucky. 

For me, my second jab is not until late June. I am not living in a bunker, as Banker would have you believe. However, I will tell you, if we open fully at the end of June, I will be bunkering down until two weeks after my second jab, when it has had a chance to take effect.

So you don’t currently live in a bunker but are planning to move into one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2