IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

For the most part, as always on the IOM, the factors which most affect our little local slice of the wider British economy are international and global. Covid is a challenge obviously - but for many businesses and professionals everywhere it is also, frankly, an opportunity.

Your simplistic anti-government stuff doesn't really quantify how you actually believe a change in our local government's policy would make much difference to the economy. It's impossible to believe that a few people missing old-fashioned face-to-face meetings (because they cannot for some reason self-isolated here), is really going to make or break the outcome.

You do understand the consequences of continuing to pay wage support, MERA or hotels for empty bedrooms don’t you?

Its a double bubble whammy for us the tax payer in the long run.

Less disposable income, less VAT revenue, less tax take, less NHI contributions, etc 

Don’t think because the Quay is packed on a sunny August Friday evening that we’re travelling along nicely - we ain’t & won’t be in many years to come.

Wasting our time here trying to explain to you what’s at stake. Crack on.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

You do understand the consequences of continuing to pay wage support, MERA or hotels for empty bedrooms don’t you?

But nobody is going to come at the moment whether we are fully open or not. Those rooms are empty either way.

ETA: Is that your best argument - hotel rooms?

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, pongo said:

But nobody is going to come at the moment whether we are fully open or not. Those rooms are empty either way.

ETA: Is that your best argument - hotel rooms?

My argument is not only based on the financial consequences the Island faces but how the likes of you & your ilk are going to react when cases appear.

You are already behaving like backwater hicks.

I’m yet to read a proposal from any of your lot on how we restore normality in the longer term. You have brought nothing here, zip.

PS - plenty of people would come, look at Jersey ffs. What a silly man.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m yet to read a proposal from any of your lot on how we restore normality in the longer term.

There isn't going to be a return to "normality". At least, not the "normal" we had before. There will more than likely have to be a new "normal". And that will be influenced by two factors.

Firstly, the grounds necessary to exclude and control the virus in respect of the IoM. That is a simple, medical science  fact. With the current exception of another rock that we enjoy an airbridge to, we are surrounded by neighbours who are far from controlling it adequately. The alternative is to let it in here and potentially decimate our aging demographic.

Secondly, the new economic normal which has yet to see all the factors that are going to influence it. They are still emerging But which will arise from the past and future measures necessary for local virus control.

These two measures are going to be the cornerstones of the new long run normal.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

There isn't going to be a return to "normality". At least, not the "normal" we had before. There will more than likely have to be a new "normal". And that will be influenced by two factors.

Firstly, the grounds necessary to exclude and control the virus in respect of the IoM. That is a simple, medical science  fact. With the current exception of another rock that we enjoy an airbridge to, we are surrounded by neighbours who are far from controlling it adequately. The alternative is to let it in here and potentially decimate our aging demographic.

Secondly, the new economic normal which has yet to see all the factors that are going to influence it. They are still emerging But which will arise from the past and future measures necessary for local virus control.

These two measures are going to be the cornerstones of the new long run normal.

Can you explain why Jersey’s ageing demographic is not being decimated?

Really, be honest.

Are there no old people in Jersey?

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Like the new normal that happened after the Spanish Flu in 1918 or the Hong Kong flu in 1968? Or after SARS in 2004? I’m sorry I get your point but I absolutely hate all these predictions of the new normal. The reality likely is the economy will be so fucked coming out of this that nobody is going to give a shit about aspiring to any form of new normal and will be doing just about everything to get things back to the way they were so they can recover what they’ve lost. Governments too. We haven’t completely changed the way we live or the way our economy works after any health crisis in the last 100 years or more and I doubt we will this time after despite the number of people who seem to want to just do nothing for the next 5 years because of a mystery virus that’s killed less than 1% of the population. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

When is their second wave arriving Pongo?

No idea. I'm pleased we don't have to spend all that money testing so many people. I suppose that if we had a tourist industry here there might be some point. But we don't, so there isn't. For now at least.

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

No idea. I'm pleased we don't have to spend all that money testing so many people. I suppose that if we had a tourist industry here there might be some point. But we don't, so there isn't. For now at least.

Piss poor, you shouted from the rooftops they’d be swamped with cases after reopening.

Typical Covid mentalist behaviour.

Be the bigger man, accept you might have been wrong. You are wrong to date.

Edited by Nom de plume