IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

You weren’t to know Gladys, but there’s a certain irony in you supporting Sultan ( in his latest incarnation ) - possibly the biggest troll on here - from the trolling of P.K.

Nah.

I just got fed up with posts like this lambasting people in an impossible position:

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Exactly. Isn't 30 a figure they plucked out of the air about a year ago? At a time when testing was completely different and there was no vaccine.

It has been a shambles from day one but for the last 6 to 8 weeks it should have been pretty straightforward to give a realistic and clear plan which people could plan around and which would have allowed businesses to plan with confidence.

As if is it is towards the end of May.  I am due to be in UK next week, and am stressed to death that if they chicken out take a step backwards I will be left unable to do important work here when I get back.

How are people supposed to arrange their lives? 

Some folks seem to find it difficult to understand that with new variants arriving all the time, and they will continue to arrive for the foreseeable future, means the situation in places like the UK is very dynamic.

It's extremely difficult to hit a moving target but that cuts no ice with these folks....

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Nah.

I just got fed up with posts like this lambasting people in an impossible position:

Some folks seem to find it difficult to understand that with new variants arriving all the time, and they will continue to arrive for the foreseeable future, means the situation in places like the UK is very dynamic.

It's extremely difficult to hit a moving target but that cuts no ice with these folks....

You have to admit its a bit amateur to get up and speak to the nation at a briefing saying that we have to get used to looking at hospital cases and death rates and not no of cases. Then in the next breath be quoted on the nations' station sating that its all dependant on the number of cases.

Is the buffoon not surprised that people are confused now:wacko:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Nah.

Are Jersey and Guernsey in the same "impossible situation"?

Guernsey made and announcement about their traffic light entry scheme, the public spoke up, common sense prevailed and it was rectified pretty much immediately. 

Our clowns can't even get a clear message out.

Have you actually watched a Guernsey briefing?  Makes us look like a bunch of clowns and has done for 12 months.

15 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Are Jersey and Guernsey in the same "impossible situation"?

Guernsey made and announcement about their traffic light entry scheme, the public spoke up, common sense prevailed and it was rectified pretty much immediately. 

Our clowns can't even get a clear message out.

Have you actually watched a Guernsey briefing?  Makes us look like a bunch of clowns and has done for 12 months.

The point is that holding that nice Mr Quayle responsible for the situation in the UK is clearly a nonsense as any fule kno. Plus the target UK infection rate almost certainly comes from the Brains Trust known as Comin. Which means Q (not the SIS one) is just the messenger boy.

I am wondering what role the newly formed group, the name of which escapes me, are going to play in the current situation?

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

I am honestly not sure.

I think some actually think that we are all doomed if a single case gets into the community.  They seem completely unable to comprehend the fact that any remaining risk is diminishing every single day.

Anyway.  It is a week off so I am about to take my life in my hands and go all day drinking in busy pubs before risking my life of the big bad ferry to the land of doom and death next week.

Covid was the 9th leading cause of death in England in April, representing 2.4% of all registrations.  Heart disease was the top, followed by dementia.  We don't see graphs on those on the news every night.  I think it's about time the national focus was shifted a bit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Covid was the 9th leading cause of death in England in April, representing 2.4% of all registrations.  Heart disease was the top, followed by dementia.  We don't see graphs on those on the news every night.  I think it's about time the national focus was shifted a bit.

Expecially since we have vaccines

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Hey trmpton, he's winding you up and you have taken the bait fella

In Barnsley they call this 'pillocking'...apparently although sealioning seems to be the modern phrase

It's gentle sarcasm and hyperbowl. Surely that was obvious.

A perfectly reasonable approach in a debate. My remark allowed trmpton to reply and it provided a stepping stone to further outline his argument, which I thought was done quite well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The problem I see is that Covid is not an NCD and is highly transmittable.

Plus the NCD's are nothing like as political as covid with all the MSM cover that goes with it...

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

No it is going to go up massively as more testing is being done

4 minutes ago, snowman said:

Expecially since we have vaccines

3 minutes ago, snowman said:

So the metric is flawed logic

Its been made into an impossible target

I have extended the dates (backwards) and the scale (so its less spikey). Added the target. I think it bottomed out around 7th May (43.3) and is now rising (albeit very gradually). No sign of convergence.

image.png.6439a98306cc0121b42ed35ad4b0f705.png

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

You have to admit its a bit amateur to get up and speak to the nation at a briefing saying that we have to get used to looking at hospital cases and death rates and not no of cases. Then in the next breath be quoted on the nations' station sating that its all dependant on the number of cases.

Is the buffoon not surprised that people are confused now:wacko:

But you’re the buffoon. They’re two different things.

Rates in country/area of origination are the only measure of risk of bringing it in, along with vaccination and an arrival testing regime. Takeaway testing and rate of origin is important. That’s data/rate one.

Numbers here, in community and hospital, are something we have to stop getting wound up about. They’re a wholly different data set, measuring different things. Day to day they aren’t important, but you’ve still got to keep an eye as they’ll determine if you should take measures because infrastructure is becoming overwhelmed - perhaps  because a vaccine resistant variant arrives. That’s data/rate two.

I know the message could be delivered in a clearer manner, but wilful misreading doesn’t help.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The problem I see is that Covid is not an NCD and is highly transmittable.

Plus the NCD's are nothing like as political as covid with all the MSM cover that goes with it...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/april2021

All the data there.  Interesting that in April, all other causes of death are lower than the 5 year average, quite significantly so.  Perhaps the expected deaths in these categories happened a few months previously due to covid?

Numbers were low last summer too in the UK.  This year we have the vaccine.  I honestly think it's now, at least in the UK and here where we're well along the vaccine pathway, going to be like flu.  Even when there are spikes due to variants.  We'll have vaccine boosters to cover variants of concern ahead of the expected winter spikes, but apart from that just get on with it.  I don't see that reporting 7 deaths on the ten o'clock news each night helps anything apart from increasing coviphobia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But you’re the buffoon. They’re two different things.

Rates in country/area of origination are the only measure of risk of bringing it in, along with vaccination and an arrival testing regime. Takeaway testing and rate of origin is important. That’s data/rate one.

Numbers here, in community and hospital, are something we have to stop getting wound up about. They’re a wholly different data set, measuring different things. Day to day they aren’t important, but you’ve still got to keep an eye as they’ll determine if you should take measures because infrastructure is becoming overwhelmed - perhaps  because a vaccine resistant variant arrives. That’s data/rate two.

I know the message could be delivered in a clearer manner, but wilful misreading doesn’t help.

Which is why I want to see our rate same as UK and everything open asap.

Differentiating between them and us is insane.  Short term to keep it out while getting their heads around it and waiting for vaccinations was fair enough.  Now it is embarassing