IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

image.png.26cf2d0914103a63b6f7601d153505c9.png

There are people on island who genuinely think this is what will happen when borders open.

They genuinely look at the media depiction of India and think we will be burning bodies in the streets.

I don't know how HQ etc rectify peoples perception, because in some ways they have perpetuated it with the pursuit of elimination, keeping us in lockdowns for however many days after the last known community case etc.

They created an artificial bubble and now people really think if we pop it they will die.

In my opinion they really should now be making an announcement that we are opening up and reassuring people that by doing so we should gradually align with the UK and putting data to the Great Manx Public that clearly and simply shows that it is safe to do so.

Let us move freely and advertise the death out of our tourism and what the island has to offer while people can't go further afield.

UK are already talking about France and others going green list within weeks so if we wait then the the chance to put us on the map will be gone.

• Like 2

I think you'll find the "perception" is real.

Take the Indian variant. Currently at about 3,500 infections. By next week that will be about 9000 infections. The week after 23,000 infections and so on. The UK currently has about 47,000 infected folks driven by 2000+ infections per day. This highly transmittable variant is going to become the UK variant of choice. So think 45,000 growing by 160% per week.

That's how one IOMSPCo crew member managed to infect 1000+ folks with 4 fatalities (Kent variant?)

I know that doesn't suit your narrative but it's the reason why caution is advised.

But a variant that can spread by a 160% rise per week is concerning.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, snowman said:

Where does it say the arrival tests are 9-12

That’s the time it’s normally open and from previous experience when booking tests , you can’t get a time outside those hours. So if you arrive back at say 2pm on Saturday you will wait until Sunday for a test and may get results late Sunday night, we got ours 23.20

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Take the Indian variant. Currently at about 3,500 infections. By next week that will be about 9000 infections. The week after 23,000 infections and so on. The UK currently has about 47,000 infected folks driven by 2000+ infections per day. This highly transmittable variant is going to become the UK variant of choice. So think 45,000 growing by 160% per week.

That's how one IOMSPCo crew member managed to infect 1000+ folks with 4 fatalities (Kent variant?)

I know that doesn't suit your narrative but it's the reason why caution is advised.

And do you really think we can go on like this forever? 

Your facts are right but I am afraid you are going to have to get used to it or take action yourself. Welcome to the new world. This might go on for years now. If you want to hide away that's your call. No one is stopping you

I (and others ) want my/their liberty back.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Banker said:

That’s the time it’s normally open and from previous experience when booking tests , you can’t get a time outside those hours. So if you arrive back at say 2pm on Saturday you will wait until Sunday for a test and may get results late Sunday night, we got ours 23.20

I can confirm that. The closing time varies but the grandstand test centre is usually vacated by 12 each day if not sooner

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Well obviously not many share your concerns at present with borders easing Monday although the news has been slipped out to stop loads of panickers like you taking to social media!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

But if the most you get is the sniffles or a bit of a cough then who cares how many cases there are?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

This is bollocks PK. Pretty much all of it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, snowman said:

Completely impractical when most flights and ferry arrive in the afternoon

You have to isolate overnight and then go up to the Test Centre next morning. Its not the end of the world and better than having to pay staff all hours. Also the tests will be done it batches. Probably put on afternoon and read the next day. Therefore it would not be practical to have a trickle of swabs coming into the lab 24hrs a day. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You have to isolate overnight and then go up to the Test Centre next morning. Its not the end of the world and better than having to pay staff all hours. Also the tests will be done it batches. Probably put on afternoon and read the next day. Therefore it would not be practical to have a trickle of swabs coming into the lab 24hrs a day. 

If they set up in the ferry car park they could get everyone on the way in. No question of working long hours, just different hours.

• Like 1