IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well they can manage to test at all ports of arrival in Channel Islands, why are we so backward that it can’t be managed here ? At least have testing centre open longer day until 6/7pm

They don’t want to make it too easy. Skelly (when I typed that my iPad  autocorrected it to ‘smelly) and co are wanging on about a whole load of island events to replace TT, they don’t want us all buggering off island the minute we can!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

they don’t want us all buggering off island the minute we can!

On the BBC news they are highlighting the buying spree that is ongoing now in the UK a people venture out spending as (to me) some form of post Covid retail therapy.

I think a lot of people on the island, me included, will still wait until free travel back and forth is firmly in place before doing the same. 

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

wait so there's still a 2.5% chance of dying? 

well that's enough for me, back behind the couch I go 

97.5% less chance than those others who get infected without vaccination. So if it used to be 1% of all cases, it's now 0.025% if your jabbed up.

Put another way, 1 in 4000 rather than 1 in a 100.

The the vast majority of that total will be the old and infirm too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Well obviously not many share your concerns at present with borders easing Monday although the news has been slipped out to stop loads of panickers like you taking to social media!!

Have the borders actually eased though?  According to the FAQs:

Entry to the Isle of Man is still limited to residents, immediate family, partners of residents, key workers, compassionate applications and property owners, these adjustments for the 24 May do not change who is eligible to travel.  

What has changed is the requirements around isolation when you get on the Island.

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Pre vaccine!

Your figures are way off.  It simply won't spread like that now.

That was the whole point of the vaccine program 

Vaccination may still make less difference that you think.  About a third of those infected in the February outbreak were under 19 and those still won't have been vaccinated.  And of those hospitalised, 17 were under 50 and 21 were 50-69.  Only 6 were over 70.  It was probably too early for vaccination to have had much effect, but even if it had there would have still been a lot hospitalised if it happened now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winnie said:

I've done 3 periods of isolation from between 7 and 14 days, so don't moan about doing just one day!! Had 7 tests at £50 a go, and every time had results the same evening. I'm more than happy at this current system. 

You may have time on your hands to stay at home and not have a requirement to go out and earn a living. There are many people who need to get on/off the Island for business purposes. Isolating each time for up to 14 days is not an option. It's that simple.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

97.5% less chance than those others who get infected without vaccination. So if it used to be 1% of all cases, it's now 0.025% if your jabbed up.

Well said. That's the fact. If people don't get that they might as well move permanently to their bunkers now as that's the way it is and the way its going to be for some time.

Makes you wonder if these people ever get in a car, plane, boat etc.

51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Have the borders actually eased though?  According to the FAQs:

Entry to the Isle of Man is still limited to residents, immediate family, partners of residents, key workers, compassionate applications and property owners, these adjustments for the 24 May do not change who is eligible to travel.  

What has changed is the requirements around isolation when you get on the Island.

Vaccination may still make less difference that you think.  About a third of those infected in the February outbreak were under 19 and those still won't have been vaccinated.  And of those hospitalised, 17 were under 50 and 21 were 50-69.  Only 6 were over 70.  It was probably too early for vaccination to have had much effect, but even if it had there would have still been a lot hospitalised if it happened now.

Well as far as residents & families concerned it’s great news which is all I’m personally bothered about at present.

All that matters is deaths & hospitalization which as I posted earlier are well down .

Even Spain is opening borders to uk residents 😀

Edited by Banker

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Yorkshire variant coming up on the rail to challenge the Indian variant

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/health-officials-investigate-yorkshire-variant-24155887

I must admit I was expecting this to be joke involving whippets, ferrets and general miserlyness and bluntness of manner. It seems be actually true. @Nom de plume will love this.....

image.png.7508e6e5a74b685d17b05eebcfd5cbad.png

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

I thought it was even better than that. I thought it reduced you chance of dying by 97.5%. That's over and above the very low chance of you dying in the first place I.e if you are fit and healthy

But I might be wrong

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I thought it was even better than that. I thought it reduced you chance of dying by 97.5%. That's over and above the very low chance of you dying in the first place I.e if you are fit and healthy

But I might be wrong

No, you are right. You have 97.5% less chance from dying of covid than those who are unvaccinated, who themselves have only a 1% (or so) chance when taken as an average over all age groups. 

As can be seen from this chart published by the US CDC in February of this year, and as we all know, age is highly significant.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 13.07.35.png

Edited by madmanxpilot

21 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

INo, you are right. You have 97.5% less chance from dying of covid than those who are unvaccinated, who themselves have only a 1% (or so) chance when taken as an average over all age groups. 

As can be seen from this chart published by the US CDC in February of this year, and as we all know, age is highly significant.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 13.07.35.png

This is what they need to make clear to people.

There are people who still think that 2 jabs leave them with a 2.5% of date if they come into close contact with a positive case.

This is why people are scared.  A misunderstanding of the information clear and simple.