IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Various newspapers reporting this morning of reinfections, which it seems means that a person can get it more than once. It may be a slightly different strain but more research is required. 

To be honest I admit I don't know enough about virology / infectious diseases / pandemics but at the moment I can see both sides of the equation about allowing free travel again (with testing) or staying as we are. It is hard on business and families for sure.

The thing that really concerns me is the lack of debate / guidance  about it politically. Silently towing the government line has always meant a degree of trust that I am not sure I share. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Apple said:

Various newspapers reporting this morning of reinfections, which it seems means that a person can get it more than once. It may be a slightly different strain but more research is required. 

To be honest I admit I don't know enough about virology / infectious diseases / pandemics but at the moment I can see both sides of the equation about allowing free travel again (with testing) or staying as we are. It is hard on business and families for sure.

The thing that really concerns me is the lack of debate / guidance  about it politically. Silently towing the government line has always meant a degree of trust that I am not sure I share. 

You are absolutely correct Apple.

Staggering that this issue (the borders) is not being debated.

It is classic CoMin however. Railroad those around them.

The fact there are no weekly press briefings to at least raise questions tells you all you need to know about our democracy.

• Like 1

I have reiterated some of the problems with information in another thread that echos some of the same issues, not just for Covid. The redaction from the recent publications about how CoMIN made their decisions and the information it was based upon is probably one of the darkest moments in this Governments recent history. Shame really when they could have really reduced some of the 'arrogance' and  'indifference' criticisms they seem to have been blessed with by people I speak to.

Edited by Apple
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/further-aurigny-routes-could-be-imminent/

looks like Howie will be picking up some of losses of Aurigny to keep London lifeline open as EasyJet won’t restart with these clowns running the show & no plans

Its bonkers. Easyjet are chomping to get back flying to the Island, but won't whilst the border situation is how it is. If Howie and co let Aurigny all of a sudden do Gatwick, we may lose Easy for good which is NOT a good thing, despite what some may say.

Loganair to city is carrying like 4 passenger each way each day. Its not like we have a capacity issue right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

There's quite a building boom right now. Off the back of the island's luck in being better placed to keep covid out than many places. Not enough workers here though. Quite a conundrum for sure.

We should be okay if we can keep Teapot off those industrial strength ales...

Edited by Neil Down
spelling error...
  • Haha 1

Just now, Neil Down said:

We should be okay if we can keep Teapot of those industrial strength ales...

No meaning to be personal to Teapot, but it is a good point. There is a lot of people who seem to have acquired the understandable habit of the occasional bottle of wine or whatever during the lock down. It's one aspect of lock down that some people rather enjoyed and are holding onto.

Just now, gettafa said:

No meaning to be personal to Teapot, but it is a good point. There is a lot of people who seem to have acquired the understandable habit of the occasional bottle of wine or whatever during the lock down. It's one aspect of lock down that some people rather enjoyed and are holding onto.

I was drinking too much strong beer before lockdown too. But I take your point, and broadly agree with it. Mate runs a shop, has done for years, never sold so much booze 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Apple said:

I have reiterated some of the problems with information in another thread that echos some of the same issues, not just for Covid. The redaction from the recent publications about how CoMIN made their decisions and the information it was based upon is probably one of the darkest moments in this Governments recent history. Shame really when they could have really reduced some of the 'arrogance' and  'indifference' criticisms they seem to have been blessed with by people I speak to.

Only matters of National Security should be kept off the public record.

This Government is carrying on in a way that only substantiates claims of arrogance or indifference towards the Manx people.

We should be privy to the CoMin minutes which are leading to decisions affecting all of our lives right now.

I am aware of one member of CoMin (with a high intellect) who will remain nameless who is not happy with the way this is all playing out. 

• Like 1

I have the greatest respect for Alex Allinson but I'll wager that even his patient approach has been tested on occasion during this administration. He is not one of my local MHK's, sadly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Only matters of National Security should be kept off the public record.

This Government is carrying on in a way that only substantiates claims of arrogance or indifference towards the Manx people.

We should be privy to the CoMin minutes which are leading to decisions affecting all of our lives right now.

I am aware of one member of CoMin (with a high intellect) who will remain nameless who is not happy with the way this is all playing out. 

Howie & ashie are only ones allowed to make decisions and it’s getting very concerning, several tynwald members also not happy with the dictatorial leadership and lack of information .

• Like 1