IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

34 minutes ago, Banker said:

Jersey have c10000 bed spaces so 8000 visitors over a weekend is not nothing, you don’t have a clue about tourism or hospitality!

think you’ve been in bunker too long😂

They have a tourists industry which is a significant part of their economy. Apart from bike racing, the IOM doesn't. Big difference.

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

They have a tourists industry which is a significant part of their economy. Apart from bike racing, the IOM doesn't. Big difference.

But the point is we could very easily have every bed full now and for the next few weeks.  Beyond that the opportunity is gone.

Every one of those new visitors would have generated income and might have become a repeat visitor and might have even become a resident.

Every one of them if handled probably could have become an advocate for the island and generated more income in the future.

They dropped the ball again.

Obviously of a month from now Jersey have hundreds of deaths and is closed again I will be proved wrong.  I can't see it though.

I can see us opening up once the moment has passed and loads of businesses failing once the support stops.

• Like 1

New variant picked up in Vietnam - noted in FT this morning. 

Also a few papers running that UK Govt mulling over mandatory vaccinations for care workers.

Other than that the weather looks really good today.

9 hours ago, pongo said:

Tourism is something like 10% of their national income. Here, apart from the bikes, it's closer to zero.

There’s the ancillary industries eg taxis, train, cafes, food suppliers pubs etc etc. Also instead of contributing taxes etc they are getting taxpayers funds for lots of empty rooms.

57 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s the ancillary industries eg taxis, train, cafes, food suppliers pubs etc etc. Also instead of contributing taxes etc they are getting taxpayers funds for lots of empty rooms.

And all the business folks who normally visit the island, staying in hotels and eating and drinking. All absent at the moment.

14 hours ago, Banker said:

Jersey have c10000 bed spaces so 8000 visitors over a weekend is not nothing, you don’t have a clue about tourism or hospitality!

think you’ve been in bunker too long😂

Funny that. I used to work in hospitality, in Jersey. 

And you are again wrong. Jersey has far more than 10,000 bed spaces. 8000 mainly locals and family is very little for a bank holiday weekend in Jersey. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Funny that. I used to work in hospitality, in Jersey. 

And you are again wrong. Jersey has far more than 10,000 bed spaces. 8000 mainly locals and family is very little for a bank holiday weekend in Jersey. 

Actually Banker's right on this one.  Jersey had 10,608 registered bed spaces in the most recent figures available (2017).  I suspect it's declined quite a lot in recent years so no doubt it was higher when you were there.  I also wonder if there is under-registration of self-catering, such as AirBnB.

Of course that doesn't mean that most of those arriving will be staying in those rather than be returning locals or staying with friends and relations.  

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

More government 'advisors' coming out saying the date should be pushed back. Only a matter of time before boris changes his mind and pushes it back to 21st july

Plenty saying the opposite as well.  Guess which ones are getting news coverage?

He won't push it back.  They will keep it where it is by increasing 2nd jabs unless deaths rise significantly in vaccinated people - which they won't 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Plenty saying the opposite as well.  Guess which ones are getting news coverage?

He won't push it back.  They will keep it where it is by increasing 2nd jabs unless deaths rise significantly in vaccinated people - which they won't 

Not to sure, he's changed his mind on practically everything else so would not be surprised