IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Not to sure, he's changed his mind on practically everything else so would not be surprised

They seem to be putting their faith in getting the 2nd jabs in. A massive national effort. I think if they achieve it then they will open up at or close to the 21st June. 

With our pathetic lack of any effort, we are looking more like 21st July. If we can rely on out lackluster government that is.

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There does seem to be a bit more concern from some of the more rational scientific commentators about what's happening in the UK, more than I'd expect, rather than just the usual fear from the indie sage gang.

That's true. @John Wright said I was being hysterical a couple of weeks ago. To be fair he has seen the light and the enormity of where this is going. 

Hysterical is the last thing I would ever be. In fact is am quite cool generally.

I think there will be a third wave in the UK. However, If they get the 2nd jabs in at the rate they are currently then I think it will be a small 3rd wave because they will see the full benefit of the vaccination programme.

It will all come down to timing on the end. Infections will rise but the infection rate will be strongly influenced by the proportion of vaccinated people.

And what ever anyone says. At this stage 2 weeks is an enormous timescale and a lot will happen in that time.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually Banker's right on this one.  Jersey had 10,608 registered bed spaces in the most recent figures available (2017).  I suspect it's declined quite a lot in recent years so no doubt it was higher when you were there.  I also wonder if there is under-registration of self-catering, such as AirBnB.

Of course that doesn't mean that most of those arriving will be staying in those rather than be returning locals or staying with friends and relations.  

Air B&B, lodging houses and self-catering come under different regulation from hotels and guest houses. The number of hotel beds has stayed quite steady, but the number of guest houses has reduced as many have converted to air B&B/ self catering because the regulations are easier. That said, they are quite bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's true. @John Wright said I was being hysterical a couple of weeks ago. To be fair he has seen the light and the enormity of where this is going. 

Hysterical is the last thing I would ever be. In fact is am quite cool generally.

I think there will be a third wave in the UK. However, If they get the 2nd jabs in at the rate they are currently then I think it will be a small 3rd wave because they will see the full benefit of the vaccination programme.

It will all come down to timing on the end. Infections will rise but the infection rate will be strongly influenced by the proportion of vaccinated people.

And what ever anyone says. At this stage 2 weeks is an enormous timescale and a lot will happen in that time.

There may be another wave. The test is whether it continues to kill people. If it doesn't, we should be permitted to just get on with life

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

There will be a 3rd wave of cases as more things open but I'm confident that won't translate into hospital admissions or deaths. This Indian variant has been around for a few weeks now but hospitalisation and deaths haven't Rose despite cases rising

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You’re still being hysterical.

Yes, I changed my view about vaccination interval when it was falsely reported by Government that IOM had 10,000 more vaccine doses than we actually had. And I’m annoyed about the 2 week hiatus, which could have been avoided with forethought 10 weeks ago.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Air B&B, lodging houses and self-catering come under different regulation from hotels and guest houses. The number of hotel beds has stayed quite steady, but the number of guest houses has reduced as many have converted to air B&B/ self catering because the regulations are easier. That said, they are quite bizarre. 

Just admit you haven’t a clue , 10000 accommodation beds includes S/C etc, doubt you’ve ever been in Jersey let alone worked there.

13 minutes ago, display name said:

I have. It was excruciatingly dull.

As a 42 times visitor to the Isle of Man,and twice visitor to Jersey,from "Across" Jersey is not a patch on the Island as a place to visit.On Jersey you cant get a car out of second gear,but still fast cars everywhere.Shops with signage removed (its vulgar🤔)Lets pretend we're a bit French🤨.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

You’re still being hysterical.

Yes, I changed my view about vaccination interval when it was falsely reported by Government that IOM had 10,000 more vaccine doses than we actually had. And I’m annoyed about the 2 week hiatus, which could have been avoided with forethought 10 weeks ago.

Yes, it does seem rather odd that at a time when the UK Govt are saying second doses are critical in putting the brakes on the Indian variant's progress, IOMG take a two week hiatus in vaccinating people. If the cynic in me were to speak on my behalf, he'd say they obviously just can't be arsed changing the existing appointments.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There does seem to be a bit more concern from some of the more rational scientific commentators about what's happening in the UK, more than I'd expect, rather than just the usual fear from the indie sage gang.

Plenty of others saying the opposite. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Yes, it does seem rather odd that at a time when the UK Govt are saying second doses are critical in putting the brakes on the Indian variant's progress, IOMG take a two week hiatus in vaccinating people. If the cynic in me were to speak on my behalf, he'd say they obviously just can't be arsed changing the existing appointments.

It's just sheer incompetence. They can't organise a piss up in a brewery. For something of critical national importance they should be burning the midnight oil to bring forward second doses. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Which is fair enough.  It won't make a material difference so why bother.  There's enough to do.   Perhaps it also gives some very hard working staff some annual leave too.

• Haha 1