IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

We’ve stopped for nearly 3 weeks so lots over 50 & 60 awaiting second doses, mines 18/06 & I know others 8July.

meanwhile Jersey cracking on!

of Sunday 30 May, 70% of adults have had the first dose.

90% of islanders over the age of 50 and those in at-risk groups hare fully vaccinated.

More than half of 45 to 49-year-olds have had their second dose, along with 34% of 40 to 44-year-olds.

Point being...it takes 7 to 14 days before 2nd dose offers protection.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I was just looking at the uk figures for the last 7 days. 

Number of positive tests up 34.7%

Number of Covid deaths down 14.8%

Number of hospitalisations up 17.1%

Number of tests conducted down 17.3%

So not only are cases shooting up, they have done a lot less testing. 

However 

New data from Public Health England showing that people who are confirmed to have the virus are more than twice as likely to need hospital admission is certainly a concern.

But reassuringly the vaccine is holding up really well.

Of 89 people who were admitted to hospital with the variant, 59 - that's two thirds - had not been vaccinated at all. Just three of the patients had been double vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

However 

New data from Public Health England showing that people who are confirmed to have the virus are more than twice as likely to need hospital admission is certainly a concern.

Of 89 people who were admitted to hospital with the variant, 59 - that's two thirds - had not been vaccinated at all. Just three of the patients had been double vaccinated.

So wait till we're all double vaccinated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

What would you call positive tests up 34.7% if not shooting up?

Expected.

Restrictions have eased so they were always going to go up.

It is a few hundred a day more than it was a week ago and less than it was six weeks ago.

Who cares?

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Expected.

It is a few hundred a day more than it was a week ago and less than it was six weeks ago.

Who cares?

It can be both shooting up and expected.

4 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Expected.

Who cares?

It's strange how India isn't getting reported now, a fee weeks ago they were at nearly 500k a day positive tests, now just over 100k. Suppose positive news doesn't fit and it has to be doom and gloom

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It can be both shooting up and expected.

Depends on your definition of "shooting up" i suppose

We knew they were going to go up.  Of it was a factor of 10 I would say that was shooting up.

This is just cases going up as expected, which doesn't matter, because the extra cases aren't leading to extra deaths and those who are becoming ill are nearly all people who haven't been jabbed.

So - who cares?

We are well into territory now where more people are dieing due to drinking, smoking, bad diet etc so it really isn't something to get wound up about unless we are going to lock everyone up  so they can't do those things either?

Just now, trmpton said:

This is just cases going up as expected, which doesn't matter, because the extra cases aren't leading to extra deaths and those who are becoming ill are nearly all people who haven't been jabbed.

I think it's a little early to make that claim, though I am optimistic that it's correct.

23 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Expected.

Who cares?

It's 1,150 cases more than this time last week (4,330 to 3,180)... Or if you look at weekly average cases (which is a fairer indication) it's 938 more cases (3,605 to 2,677). 

If you take the percentage difference rate between the two weekly averages which is 35% and apply it to today's average weekly cases then there would be around 4,900 cases this time next week. But then I suspect you don't care about that. 

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

However 

But that is the problem. Circa 50% of people in the UK have had at least one jab. Circa 30% have both. That leaves an awful lot of unprotected and partially protected people, who could soon overwhelm the NHS. Over 5000 new cases today. I think it was about 8000-10,000 a day when Boris locked down last time. More vaccinations this time, but they could be at 8000 this time next week. It is very worrying. 

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

But that is the problem. Circa 50% of people in the UK have had at least one jab. Circa 30% have both. That leaves an awful lot of unprotected and partially protected people, who could soon overwhelm the NHS. Over 5000 new cases today. I think it was about 8000-10,000 a day when Boris locked down last time. More vaccinations this time, but they could be at 8000 this time next week. It is very worrying. 

If the NHS is overwhelmed in the next 3 months due to COVID in the UK I will donate 5k to a charity of your choice.

Not going to happen.

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Way out on vaccinations for U.K.  it’s 75% for one & 50% for both perhaps you’re thinking of us, good job we’re cracking on with second jabs ! Oh wait we’re all on holidays 😂

Edited by Banker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Cases were and still are an indication of what the hospital intake would be in a couple of weeks in the UK. The problem in the UK atm is that the group's getting COVID now either haven't been vaccinated or only partially in the last few weeks which means there will sadly be an increase in hospitalisations. 

The problem on our Island is that most of us are only partially vaccinated with AZ which has a very low efficacy against the Indian variant on first dose. More data will no doubt emerge in from the UK about this over three next few weeks. We may see that efficacy figure on first dose revised down or hopefully upwards.

Or as DA says, efficy.

• Haha 1