IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why some on here are completely obsessed with comparing the IOM with the Channel Islands as to me they're quite different places.

For a start the CI's have a tourist industry. Probably due to their much nicer climate. They have no mountains and little by the way of Victoriana. However they do have castles, WW2 works by slave labour from the German Occupation, art galleries, museums and if memory serves well decent eateries and very strong ale.

What's not to like...?

So....they are of similar size and population.  They are offshore Islands. They are self governing crown dependencies. They get the same proportion of vaccines per capita as us and from the same source.

Could you suggest a better comparison to make. Austria perhaps?

Swaziland? 

• Like 2

First time for a long time I have sat down at lunch to check emails and social media and felt positive that people are over this nonsense now the vaccination programs are doing their job.

18,000 at Edgbaston watching the cricket.

Emails from The Goodwood Revival encouraging me to go.

Friends in America exited about huge events they are going to this weekend.

Loads of family and friends posting pictures of themselves in the UK having fun and meals out with family they haven’t seen for over a year.

People attending music festivals around Liverpool.

Lots of other people posting that they are away this weekend.

Lots of people posting that they negative test was back with 36 hours and they are off out over the weekend.

People don’t care anymore and more importantly people aren’t dead.  The majority are now over protecting the minority and want their lives back, so it would be a very brave UK or Manx government who take any backward steps or delay anything at this point.

Onwards and upwards.

Now, if the press could just stop with the scaremongering reporting of cases we can get back to normal.  Thankfully the posts I have seen from local news reporting a single case yesterday have almost exclusively resulted in comments saying exactly that - people don’t care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

If uk delays ending restrictions on 21st June, as some predict, it will give IOM government perfect no-blame excuse not to lift our border constraints. I hope I’m wrong.

I hear from a medical professional in UK that the scientists are pushing for a 4 week delay to lockdown lifting and that Johnson is likely to agree to 2 weeks. Decision to be made late on Sunday and announced on Monday. If there is a lockdown extension (of whatever extent) I think it's highly likely that IOMG will not open borders on the 28th.

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I hear from a medical professional in UK that the scientists are pushing for a 4 week delay to lockdown lifting and that Johnson is likely to agree to 2 weeks. Decision to be made late on Sunday and announced on Monday. If there is a lockdown extension (of whatever extent) I think it's highly likely that IOMG will not open borders on 

Edited by trmpton

16 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Not sure but if you keep harranguing manxforums about it they may well change their mind. Certainly worth a try.

It’s a discussion board, for people to discuss things and post their opinions.

In my opinion the borders should have been relaxed ages ago. At that point I was in the minority but still entitled to my opinion and to voice it as long as I wasn’t abusive to others.

Now I would say I am in the Majority in that I want to see the last restrictions removed ASAP (let’s be honest, as the rules are now it will be back in the community before the 28th anyway).

If you want to say locked up forever - crack on.

If you don’t want to hear other residents views on COVID restrictions on the island, maybe don’t make the effort to actively find a thread about COVID restrictions on the Isle of Man several times a day on a local discussion board.

The clues are there.  You just have to sniff them out, but maybe the surrounding stink is too strong?

Heres to hoping a community case is announced soon and our levels match the UK in a couple of weeks as that is written into the framework as a point when restrictions end.

Off to a crowded pub to meet some friends who got back from the UK on Tuesday.  Should I be scared?

Edited by trmpton

23 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I hear from a medical professional in UK that the scientists are pushing for a 4 week delay to lockdown lifting and that Johnson is likely to agree to 2 weeks. Decision to be made late on Sunday and announced on Monday. If there is a lockdown extension (of whatever extent) I think it's highly likely that IOMG will not open borders on the 28th.

think it was always highly likely that IOMG will not open borders on the 28th.

1 minute ago, the stinking enigma said:

That's quite bizarre. You edited your post from pup to pub then are pretending i misunderstood it

I assumed you were insulating my friends must be male.  The pup “humour” passed me by.

Since your eagle eyes picked that one out, and chance of answering TDDB’s question?

We are all sure you have loads of well thought out and intelligent responses!