IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Doesn't seem to say which member is saying what though? That's important to me - I believe some are more credible than others.

• The EAG believes that the Council of Ministers should consider early messaging which alerts the public to the issues caused by the Delta and other new variants and that there remains a potential for a change to the Borders opening plan in the event of a sharp spike in cases in the UK.

The document was produced ten days ago -  so much early messaging.

since Boris is going to bottle it today, i assume our lot will as well and keep the border restrictions as they are for another month, despite no significant case numbers or hospitalisations on the island for several weeks.

again i ask why the rush to vaccinate everyone if they are not going to allow free movement, seems a bit pointless to me.

Just now, The Chief said:

since Boris is going to bottle it today, i assume our lot will as well and keep the border restrictions as they are for another month, despite no significant case numbers or hospitalisations on the island for several weeks.

again i ask why the rush to vaccinate everyone if they are not going to allow free movement, seems a bit pointless to me.

They just need to get more second jabs done. That's why I can't get my head around why they thought it would be such a good idea to have a two week hiatus on that process here.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

They just need to get more second jabs done. That's why I can't get my head around why they thought it would be such a good idea to have a two week hiatus on that process here.

Then it will be winter and booster jabs need to be done. That's my prediction 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Chief said:

What rush to vaccinate? Started off brilliantly but now it’s excuses excuses and bullshit. The close the borders mob are still in full force. If the border restrictions are still kept in place we will still be having this discussion in July, August, September and into next year. Perhaps nobody believes in the current vaccines or maybe the conspiracy theorists are correct? 

• Like 1

Today’s 3fm report HRH The Chief Minister bleating how he and his entourage are following the rules upon returning from Northern Ireland. Personally I would have treated NI the same as the Irish Republic which has been Covid rampant, meaning a nice isolation and testing regime for HRH The Chief Minister. The fact that IOMG are taking to Twitter suggests that the public think that our politicos and civil service are unreliable and certainly incapable of telling the truth, 

• Like 2

A delay in line with the UK stance seems sensible at this point. For those on this advisory group who want the travel restrictions back to level three, they need to get a grip and realise that the current level of restrictions have not to date introduced Delta into the community, and also frankly it has helped ease the pent up frustration that many of us with family across were really starting to feel. It would also not be a good look for Ashford if restrictions were put back in place following a completely inexcusable two week vaccination holiday.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What rush to vaccinate? Started off brilliantly but now it’s excuses excuses and bullshit. The close the borders mob are still in full force. If the border restrictions are still kept in place we will still be having this discussion in July, August, September and into next year. Perhaps nobody believes in the current vaccines or maybe the conspiracy theorists are correct? 

The challenge essentially came from the fact that the UK and IOM played a numbers game with first doses. 

With previous variants, everything suggested that a first jab was enough to offer you significant protection. So, getting as many first jabs in as possible made the most pragmatic sense. 

With the Delta variant, the second dose is significantly more important for affording that protection. The UK is bringing them forward where they can for that reason. 

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Today’s 3fm report HRH The Chief Minister bleating how he and his entourage are following the rules upon returning from Northern Ireland. Personally I would have treated NI the same as the Irish Republic which has been Covid rampant, meaning a nice isolation and testing regime for HRH The Chief Minister. The fact that IOMG are taking to Twitter suggests that the public think that our politicos and civil service are unreliable and certainly incapable of telling the truth, 

This is just stupid.

They follow the same protocols of the other returning residents.  What make you think it should be any different?

And the Irish Republic isn't "covid rampant " anyway.  Jesus wept.

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The challenge essentially came from the fact that the UK and IOM played a numbers game with first doses. 

With previous variants, everything suggested that a first jab was enough to offer you significant protection. So, getting as many first jabs in as possible made the most pragmatic sense. 

With the Delta variant, the second dose is significantly more important for affording that protection. The UK is bringing them forward where they can for that reason. 

And we took two weeks off...

• Like 3

Good to see Manx Radio went out to chat the the public on the breakfast show this morning to get their opinion on borders opening.

Played all the interviews with the worrying public
"keep the borders closed for another few months"
"I wouldn't go across and it's not safe"
"Cases are rising again"

Only sticking in a couple of rational people saying it's time to get on with it now.

Fear mongering

Edited by swoopy2110
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

I think you are failing to understand the science

Vaccination has two benefits

1) Individual Protection

2) Reducing transmission

According to the clever virologists - If you don't reduce transmission the replication rate of the virus is greater. Its like an accelerated evolution. It gets a bit better every time. This accelerates (apparently) the risk/probability of new variants forming. This benefit of vaccination is, in the longer term, the most important aspect.

That's why the world is rushing to get as many jabs in arms as supplies allow....apart from the Isle of Man of course which has had a temporary rest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1