IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

since Boris is going to bottle it today, i assume our lot will as well and keep the border restrictions as they are for another month, despite no significant case numbers or hospitalisations on the island for several weeks.

Has it not occurred to you that we have no significant numbers because of the border restrictions? 

again i ask why the rush to vaccinate everyone if they are not going to allow free movement, seems a bit pointless to me.

The rush to vaccinate? You're either having a laugh or not paying attention. 

They haven't been rushing over the past two weeks. They shut the programme down completely instead of forging ahead in light of the delta variant. We're way behind where we could/should have been. 

I don't like the idea of extending travel restrictions, but I also don't like the idea of a clusterfuck of rising infections, more people in hospital, more deaths and more cases of long covid.

Even if people in hospital aren't as sick as the were in previous waves, they're still taking up beds and staff attention.

Even people who aren't put in hospital are at risk of long covid, and they will also use up valuable NHS resources, some for months, some for years. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Zarley said:

they will also use up valuable NHS resources, some for months, some for years. 

Unless you want hide under the duvet and seal all your doors and windows until you, too, pop your clogs for whatever ailment finishes you at the time (and I'll bet your nearest and dearest a fiver now it won't be from COVID) that's the future and it's up to the politicians and planners to accommodate it - COVID is not going away and the sooner 'we' accept that the sooner this pantomime can be ended.

A line has to be drawn and risk accepted - jeeze, you'd think they were dropping like flies in Strand Street even now.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Has it not occurred to you that we have no significant numbers because of the border restrictions? 

The rush to vaccinate? You're either having a laugh or not paying attention. 

They haven't been rushing over the past two weeks. They shut the programme down completely instead of forging ahead in light of the delta variant. We're way behind where we could/should have been. 

I don't like the idea of extending travel restrictions, but I also don't like the idea of a clusterfuck of rising infections, more people in hospital, more deaths and more cases of long covid.

Even if people in hospital aren't as sick as the were in previous waves, they're still taking up beds and staff attention.

Even people who aren't put in hospital are at risk of long covid, and they will also use up valuable NHS resources, some for months, some for years. 

So i assume your bunker is well stocked with toilet rolls, whats it going to be in 4 weeks time to delay it again, pre-autumn pressure on the hospital, the Epsilon variant formerly known as the Shepshed variant.

in the meantime, waiting lists for all other treatments are at and all time high, large proportions of the uk's economy are tanking and may take years to recover. A looming mental health crisis that has had little or not attention or funding.

A some point you have to draw a line, this is not going to go away.

• Like 1

From the comments on social media this morning in relation to the advisory groups report, I would suggest mental health is a bigger concern than COVID.

People are still convinced that until every single one of us has had full jabs we will all die within days of opening the border.

This whole situation has been horrific for months, but there must be real concern now for what the press and government have done to peoples powers of rational thought and ability to read figures.

People are concerned that people in their 20s haven’t had two jabs.  I can’t find record of any more than a handful of people in that age bracket being bothered by COVID.  It’s insane.  A handful out of millions in the UK where according to people on island it has been running rife yet these people haven’t ended up ill. Now we are still scared to let it into a heavily vaccinated population.

Mind boggling.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I would suggest mental health is a bigger concern than COVID.

trmpton

I've been banging on about this for ages.  The UK population, perhaps more so than anywhere else, has been bombarded, since March last year and the initiation of the (minuted) policy by SAGE and its behavioural 'science' advisors, of a massive brainwashing (for want of a better term) campaign sourced from central government and complicitly aided and abetted by a supine, unquestioning MSM led by the BBC.

If you recall there were headlines in the press after the relaxation from the first lockdown that 'the message' and overall terror campaign to stay at home had been so successful that Johnson and his cronies were fearful (and as it happened, correct) that it would be difficult to get people to return to work and 'normality'.

Here we are 15 months later.  The messaging and nudging has been relentless; compliance unwaveringly and pathetically unquestioning and unswerving - until now.  I sense that at long last the people are waking up to the fact that the true ramifications of this self-induced catastrophe are yet to be realised.  The guano will hit the fan; Johnson is in the firing line and his 'scientists' know they will be the first to be lined up against the wall - they were always going to be the fall guys but they are so clever they are too stupid to realise it.

Edited by Utah 01

11 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

trmpton

I've been banging on about this for ages.  The UK population, perhaps more so than anywhere else, has been bombarded, since March last year and the initiation of the (minuted) policy by SAGE and its behavioural 'science' advisors, of a massive brainwashing (for want of a better term) campaign sourced from central government and complicitly aided and abetted by a supine, unquestioning MSM led by the BBC.

If you recall there were headlines in the press after the relaxation from the first lockdown that 'the message' to stay at home had been so successful that Johnson and his cronies were fearful (and as it happened, correct) that the terror campaign had been so successful that it would be difficult to get people to return to work and 'normality'.

Here we are 15 months later.  The messaging and nudging has been relentless; compliance unwaveringly and pathetically unquestioning and unswerving - until now.  I sense that at long last the people are waking up to the fact that the true ramifications of this self-induced catastrophe are yet to be realised.  The guano will hit the fan; Johnson is in the firing line and his 'scientists' know they will be the first to be lined up against the wall - they were always going to be the fall guys but they are so clever they are too stupid to realise it.

Agree.

Unfortunately stuck at home at the moment due to a cycling incident (I should probably blame it on COVID) and have been reading a few other Uk based forums.

No one seems to sit in the middle anymore.  People either strongly agree with the 21st being pushed back, or they already gave up on the restrictions weeks ago.  There is very little middle ground.

Certainly when I was away recently I was supervised how  un bothered people were.  I forgot my mask on a number of occasions and No one cared.

I still think there will be some relaxations in the UK from 21st but not what was hoped for.

Our lot need to grow a pair and open up on the 28th looking at what is happening in the more forward thinking places like Sweden and Denmark where a sensible balance of restrictions seem to be giving people the best of both worlds.

If they do insist on putting things back then I and lots of others will expect to see some pretty concrete evidence for doing so and that they have explored options beyond open/closed.

They told us themselves cases were irrelevant so will need to do better than that, and also answer some real questions about the vaccine pause (17,000 in stock today, so I think that shockingly means more arrived since the end of last week?)

Edited by trmpton

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

Unless you want hide under the duvet and seal all your doors and windows until you, too, pop your clogs for whatever ailment finishes you at the time (and I'll bet your nearest and dearest a fiver now it won't be from COVID) that's the future and it's up to the politicians and planners to accommodate it - COVID is not going away and the sooner 'we' accept that the sooner this pantomime can be ended.

A line has to be drawn and risk accepted - jeeze, you'd think they were dropping like flies in Strand Street even now.

I'm not hiding under my duvet nor do I have any plans to do so. 

I have accepted that covid is not going away.

However, I do think it's prudent to not allow unrestricted borders until we get more of the population double jabbed. I do not think we need to add additional restrictions. 

So i assume your bunker is well stocked with toilet rolls, whats it going to be in 4 weeks time to delay it again, pre-autumn pressure on the hospital, the Epsilon variant formerly known as the Shepshed variant.

in the meantime, waiting lists for all other treatments are at and all time high, large proportions of the uk's economy are tanking and may take years to recover. A looming mental health crisis that has had little or not attention or funding.

A some point you have to draw a line, this is not going to go away.

Again, I think it would be prudent to get more of the population double jabbed. Once that happens I'm pretty confident that new variants won't hold the same level of concern. 

Don't try to pretend I want the borders shut forever. I don't. 

If we'd ramped up our vaccination programme instead of shutting it down for two weeks, we'd be so much closer to opening up. I heard Ashford's waffle regarding this on MR this morning; personally I don't believe a fecking word of it. He and his minions in the DHSC screwed up and we're all paying the price. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Again, I think it would be prudent to get more of the population double jabbed. Once that happens I'm pretty confident that new variants won't hold the same level of concern. 

Don't try to pretend I want the borders shut forever. I don't. 

If we'd ramped up our vaccination programme instead of shutting it down for two weeks, we'd be so much closer to opening up. I heard Ashford's waffle regarding this on MR this morning; personally I don't believe a fecking word of it. He and his minions in the DHSC screwed up and we're all paying the price. 

Oh my god I just listened.  He actually said that giving out doses over the last two weeks would have slowed the overall programme down!

I think there is a danger he is starting to believe this nonsense himself 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:
The document was produced ten days ago -  so much early messaging.

No it wasn't.  According to the document itself: At its meeting on Thursday 3rd June, the Council of Ministers sought advice from the Emergency Advisory Group. Council requested that the advice was provided no later than Wednesday 9th June 2021.

They did that producing the Response on the 9th (five days ago) and it was made public fairly soon after.  Rachel tweeted it on 11th and it was linked to and discussed on Manx Forums.  If Manx Radio didn't get round to reporting till today (probably because the Government didn't send out a press release with it to be coped and pasted) that's not the Government's fault for once.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it wasn't.  According to the document itself: At its meeting on Thursday 3rd June, the Council of Ministers sought advice from the Emergency Advisory Group. Council requested that the advice was provided no later than Wednesday 9th June 2021.

They did that producing the Response on the 9th (five days ago) and it was made public fairly soon after.  Rachel tweeted it on 11th and it was linked to and discussed on Manx Forums.  If Manx Radio didn't get round to reporting till today (probably because the Government didn't send out a press release with it to be coped and pasted) that's not the Government's fault for once.

I stand corrected. I read the 3rd rather than the 9th for the date of the document.

• Like 1

I think one of the points that gets missed, is that as an Island, we don't really know some restrictions.

It's either a full lockdown or back to normal.

Do we actually need a mixture? Wearing masks out and about, for the sake of the more relaxed stance on travel? If masks and some distancing mitigates against local spread, is that a worthy price to pay for freely coming and going?

• Like 2