IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, rachomics said:

That "minority view" was one person on the EAG, not me, who would have happily had us into lockdown given half the chance. Needless to say, that's why it was a "minority view". The rest of us disagreed with it.

I’m not blaming you. Personally I’m thoroughly sick and tired of where things are going. Im also worried about not getting my second vaccination next week. Im prepared to take risks without taking stupid risks (eg mingling in large crowds etc). 

The fundamental point, that a lot of the conspiracists are forgetting is that, the first time round, the UK ended up where it did because the prevailing attitude in the UK government was along the lines of theirs. It's a bad flu, we just need to get on with it and so on.

That there would be acceptable deaths, that there would be an excess of them, but alas, we could crack on.

Funnily enough, now, even Boris, and it may have taken him being critically ill to come around, sees that there is a problem, and he's seen what happens over winter if you let things get out of hand. Look at the winter debacle in the UK, and how long we spent in and out of lockdown.

The vaccination program has made excellent progress, but with the Delta variant has changed the parameters. Previously, the first dose was the critical turning point, the second dose, then delayed was really the icing on the cake for reducing illness and transmission.

With the Delta variant, the first dose turns out to not be enough. We need second doses in to be effective. The final 4 weeks are buying time to get all over 40s in the UK to that stage, and as many first doses in younger folks as they can.

It's naive to expect that this is all a control-grabbing exercise that will be indefinitely protracted. Being cynical, it's costing Tory mates too much. From a governmental perspective, it is costing the economy too much. But it is better than going back to where we started.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well known Tory party donators day out gets full capacity 

"Wimbledon's men's and women's finals will be played in front of full capacity crowds - the first UK outdoor sporting events to do so since the start of the coronavirus pandemic."

But you can't have a wedding with more than 30 even if its out door. 

That in a nutshell is the problem, the goalposts shift to suit, see Boris and is G7 maskless BBQ at the weekend, my friends had one organised in Leicester to watch the football that was shut down by the cops as it was against the regs.

Here will be exactly the same, if the HMWI's, Dandara bosses and other wealthy or influential groups want the border kept closed it will be, they want it open then miracles of miracles everything will be fine.

I bet ours will open the weekend King Bill's kids need picking up to go home for the summer.

Just now, Roxanne said:

India. 

Are you having a laugh?

The “crisis” in India rectified itself by just running it’s way through.

They are currently only getting 100k cases and 4K deaths a day!!

That is an awful long way from “ripping through” even if you assume it is under reported an multiply by 5!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The fundamental point, that a lot of the conspiracists are forgetting is that, the first time round, the UK ended up where it did because the prevailing attitude in the UK government was along the lines of theirs. It's a bad flu, we just need to get on with it and so on.

Actually what they (and practically everyone else) are forgetting isn't so much the homicidal fecklessness of The UK Government in Spring 2020, but that they went and did exactly the same thing the following Winter.   This resulted in even more people dying from Covid than did the previous time[1].

Even though this happened literally only months ago, this is rarely mentioned because it would mean much of the media admitting their encouragement of the deaths of tens of thousands of people and even worse that they were ever wrong about something.  And that they couldn't even pretend ignorance about what would happen as that had seen it all before.

[1]  It depends how you measure it, but if you count the weeks in which there were more than 500 deaths involving Covid there were 50,031 in the Spring, 83,249 in the Winter.

• Like 2

So, …

The U.K. has first dosed approximately 80% of the adult population & second dosed nearly 50%.

Hospital admissions have declined sharply in the last few weeks.

An average of 7,500 - 8,000 people (mainly unvaccinated young requiring little or no medical treatment) are being infected daily, Testing has markedly ramped up - we know you test more, you find more.

The U.K. is administrating anywhere between 170,000 up to 500,000 doses of vaccine daily.

Can nobody see the madness of the situation?

I am at a complete loss.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2

I finally got round to combining Hospitalisation on the same graph. Updates with yesterdays date

Interesting that infection rate is no longer rising exponentially. In fact its not rising at all. The 14 day rate is rising but that's because its big number in small number out (into the rolling 14 day cumulated value) , but the daily infection rate is not rising

image.png.764fa32fc89becd0c3b3c6b407c5a945.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

So, …

The U.K. has first dosed approximately 80% of the adult population & second dosed nearly 50%.

Hospital admissions have declined sharply in the last few weeks.

An average of 7,500 - 8,000 people (mainly unvaccinated young requiring little or no medical treatment) are being infected daily, Testing has markedly ramped up - we know you test more, you find more.

The U.K. is administrating anywhere between 170,000 up to 500,000 doses of vaccine daily.

Can nobody see the madness of the situation?

I am at a complete loss.

Nearly. Second jabs is nearly 57% of adults, 42% of population. They want it at 60% of population to try for herd immunity. They have think they can get there in 4 weeks. 

The testing situation is interesting though. As I posted last week, testing was down from 5,000,000 a week to 4,000,000 a week. They also changed the way daily new cases was being reported. I suspect this was to try and mask the increases. 

The problem is hospitalisation was up 50% in the last 7 days. If that increase continues and the NHS has to stop screening and elective surgery again, many lives will be lost. Not from Covid. But leaving restrictions in place may prevent this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

The problem is hospitalisation was up 50% in the last 7 days. If that increase continues and the NHS has to stop screening and elective surgery again, many lives will be lost. Not from Covid. But leaving restrictions in place may prevent this.

Whilst this is mathematically true. Its not statistically significant as it stands. Its basically gone from bugger all to slightly more bugger all, but still bugger all. If you look at my graph you will see that the rate is extremely low compared to the peak in Spring

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Whilst this is mathematically true. Its not statistically significant as it stands. Its basically gone from bugger all to slightly more bugger all, but still bugger all. If you look at my graph you will see that the rate is extremely low compared to the peak in Spring

So, why is everyone panicking? 

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, why is everyone panicking? 

I'm not and you're not......neither are quite a few on here

The significance of the infection rate stabilising is potentially massive and great news. If it continues for a few more days we can assume the R number is around 1 in the UK

Then everyone can stop panicking!