IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

46 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Ha, get involved with that coven of doom & fear?

Not on your Nelly yessir.

The problem with EAG and SAGE types is they have no skin in the game. They take home a pay cheque regardless of them being totally right or bollocksing it up by a million miles. 

It's easy for them to say "we're going to have a million cases" and everyone follows that..  then they say oh we got it wrong. 

Like most other public sector bureaucrats they haven't lost a penny through the pandemic. In fact some of them have made a nice wedge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Really? Uk briefing yesterday said the 7day average hospitalisation rate was up 50% to 5/100,000, and growing. On the grounds that 30/100,000 as a total infection rate is apparently our current target for easing borders, this is very concerning.

The R rate was also quoted as 1.2-1.4.

Your graph is very pretty. 

@trmpton I agree, they need to ease borders slightly to allow more visitors and movement. Currently we only have 150-250 a day coming in with no issues. Time to expand a little. 

My graph has the data direct from the UK gov website. Whether it's pretty or not is not the point.

Yes, as I said hospitalization has doubled. But it is still  very very low. Double of nothing is still nothing. 

It will be interesting to see how that develops. The more important point at the moment is that rate of infection is plateaued as we stand. If hospitalization is a proportion of infection rate then it's good news.

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

The problem with EAG and SAGE types is they have no skin in the game. They take home a pay cheque regardless of them being totally right or bollocksing it up by a million miles. 

It's easy for them to say "we're going to have a million cases" and everyone follows that..  then they say oh we got it wrong. 

Like most other public sector bureaucrats they haven't lost a penny through the pandemic. In fact some of them have made a nice wedge 

I was told that the eag are unpaid. Most dont work in the public sector as far as I know.

Your point still has validity though. There is nothing in it for them to take risk....or advise risk taking.

It perplexes me that we no longer are in an emergency situation and we have an EAG. When we were in an emergency we didn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

The pariah of Europe 

They're not in Europe any more, that's why they left. So they could be a proper pariah 😄

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

My graph has the data direct from the UK gov website. Whether it's pretty or not is not the point.

Yes, as I said hospitalization has doubled. But it is still  very very low. Double of nothing is still nothing. 

It will be interesting to see how that develops. The more important point at the moment is that rate of infection is plateaued as we stand. If hospitalization is a proportion of infection rate then it's good news.

Exponential growth has bitten Boris on the bum before now. One can understand why he'd be cautious.

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

So, why is everyone panicking? 

Gladys - we've been through this umpteen times; many are (irrationally) and many aren't.

The 'panic' has stemmed from none other than an inadequately qualified, inexperienced (in almost everything) cadre of amateur politicians amongst whom, given probably now 3 decades of nirvana post the end of the Cold War where a western liberal-left movement has constantly pushed 'safety at all costs' (even to economic detriment), risk-aversion and the 'precautionary principle' is endemic.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

EAG are unpaid and all local business people and residents. How can you say they have no skin in the game??

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I was told that the eag are unpaid. Most dont work in the public sector as far as I know.

Your point still has validity though. There is nothing in it for them to take risk....or advise risk taking.

It perplexes me that we no longer are in an emergency situation and we have an EAG. When we were in an emergency we didn't.

I think it (EAG) should have been in place ages ago to support COMIN through this but as always it took ages. But now it’s there it can support future planning and emergency response for future issues, is my understanding. 

5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But you could have produced your own minority report and gave your view to the news media

Any media worth their salt would be following this thread & drawing their own conclusions.

That being, the Manx & UK public are being led up the garden path.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They're not in Europe any more, that's why they left. So they could be a proper pariah 😄

Picture a Venn diagram. There are 3 sets:

1. Supported Brexit.

2. Covid is a conspiracy.

3. Listen to talk radio.

It's just one circle right?

ETA:

Could add a 4th set:

4. Distrust experts.

Still just 1 circle.

Edited by pongo

7 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Any media worth their salt would be following this thread & drawing their own conclusions.

That being, the Manx & UK public are being led up the garden path.

The Manx media generally just regurgitate press releases, so at least then you would get your view heard by a wider audience. 

Wearing a mask to hide your identity would add a touch of mystery too, it could be like ITV wrestling all over again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it's a Broadway 'roundabout' of increasing loopiness.

That roundabout deserves international recognition. It's the perfect metaphor for something.

Also - it's the 2nd crazy IOM roundabout story recently.