IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Major Rushen said:

Why should people who are not using flights subsidise those who do? We are already paying for an airport and the services it provides.

Absolutely. The airport has approved financial measures for supporting new scheduled routes that it works to.

I'm not sure what the actual f Howie and cronies are doing here and why they're even wasting time doing it.

1 minute ago, Major Rushen said:

Why should people who are not using flights subsidise those who do? We are already paying for an airport and the services it provides.

Because Howard has a new buddy in Gav down Guernsey parish.

End this madness, open up, test on arrival & get EasyJet back pronto.

They were the best thing that happened to the Isle of Man in terms of travel - ever.

More & more ludicrous decisions will be forced upon us as this sorry, hysteria led situation unfolds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The concept of taxpayers paying Aurigny to operate Gatters is LUDICROUS and anyone who thinks otherwise is f'ing bonkers.

easyJet are there waiting to come back and fly at usual terms. I imagine Anne & Jez at the airport are fuming at this.

Easyjet I agree are probably currently chomping at the bit to return to Gatwick. The issue is that as a commercial operator, they can change timetables, withdraw services etc as it suits them. We need to have stability on key routes that can only come from a state owned/backed entity. As an island we need this stability for both business and public confidence.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Out of the blue said:

Easyjet I agree are probably currently chomping at the bit to return to Gatwick. The issue is that as a commercial operator, they can change timetables, withdraw services etc as it suits them. We need to have stability on key routes that can only come from a state owned/backed entity. As an island we need this stability for both business and public confidence.

I don't disagree with the concept. But we have Loganair stepping in on London City and there are - trust me when I say this - other commercial operators sniffing at routes including a London option. The concept of us mass-subsidising Gatwick right now is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

There flight times were a pain in the ass if you are travelling from the UK to the Island.

That might be so but their service is excellent & a far cry from the early days of the company.

The Island is well served with EasyJet on board.

The longer this hysteria led nonsense pans out, the more chance there is that EJ will pull the pin on us.

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I don't disagree with the concept. But we have Loganair stepping in on London City and there are - trust me when I say this - other commercial operators sniffing at routes including a London option. The concept of us mass-subsidising Gatwick right now is ridiculous.

Business and I am sure for many others on the island, the attraction of our island lies not only in all of the obvious factors such as scenery, safety etc, but also the ability to travel whether it be for business or leisure. How we obtain that stability in timetables, service and fares does not really concern me, only that it exists. If we for example pay Loginair to provide key routes at set times and within price constraints that is fine, but in the new aviation environment airlines will come and go, and that is where backing a state owned airline for me trumps backing another flybe.

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

That might be so but their service is excellent & a far cry from the early days of the company.

The longer this hysteria led nonsense pans out, the more chance there is that EJ will pull the pin on us.

Which would illustrate my point, they can go and leave us without any consequence. Whether it is because of our politicians is immaterial.

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Loganair London city route is only until 31/10 unless taxpayers subsidize this route as well.

if we sign deal to subsidize Aurigny then either EasyJet will say stuff Iom routes or they will undercut Aurigny leading to larger losses and subsidies 

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Loganair London city route is only until 31/10 unless taxpayers subsidize this route as well.

if we sign deal to subsidize Aurigny then either EasyJet will say stuff Iom routes or they will undercut Aurigny leading to larger losses and subsidies 

Undercutting is not a long term strategy against a state backed entity who do not have short term profits to consider. They did it against Flybe successfully, but there is no sense in running a loss leader against someone who is service focused (in other words does not need to make a profit, even if it is preferable) 

2 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Simple - don't let the thieving barstards back.  Time to get airline services that serve the Island; not services that serve the airline.

What are you talking about, fares are very very cheap if you book in advance or not traveling last minute at peak times.

advertising Gatwick at £17 one way at present 

34 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

For the first time in several weeks I have to disagree with you.  Easyjet have no interest in the Island and flies the routes to suit itself - not us.  Nothing wrong with making money as and when you can but we don't have the luxury of jumping in a car or taking a train as alternatives to be held to ransom, in terms of schedules, by come-and-go operators.  The Island's air-links are too important to be left to the whims of spotty-faced youth in Easyjet's scheduling department.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don’t think these type of decisions on airlines and borders should be left to a small cabal holding unpublished discussions.

in Guernsey the whole elected parliament were involved in discussing the next change to borders control and IOM should be recalling tynwald to do the same 

• Like 4