IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

the double vaccinated folk can still carry and spread the virus,

Theoretically yes- It is millions of more times less likely than an unvaccinated person though

That makes the risk associated with 2+2s travelling much lower

That's why the whole world is thinking that way....well the world, except you!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, that was the point - see the Laurie Hooper link above.   The law says no visit to healthcare place unless in an emergency, the guidance allows the managers to give a dispensation. 

Oh really? So, please explain to me then why when my mother-in-law was at deaths door and we had just returned 8 days prior from the UK, the nursing home refused point blank to let her own daughter hold her hand as she slipped away? 

Yet, this pumped up buffoon who now thinks he is clearly even more untouchable since getting his gong was welcomed with open arms. Jesus Christ, talk about at best piss poor judgement and at worst, a blatant disregard for the other 86,000 people that live here and pay his wages!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Oh really? So, please explain to me then why when my mother-in-law was at deaths door and we had just returned 8 days prior from the UK, the nursing home refused point blank to let her own daughter hold her hand as she slipped away? 

Yet, this pumped up buffoon who now thinks he is clearly even more untouchable since getting his gong was welcomed with open arms. Jesus Christ, talk about at best piss poor judgement and at worst, a blatant disregard for the other 86,000 people that live here and pay his wages!! 

That is terribly sad and I am sorry for your wife, that is the kind of outcome we all dread.

However, I cannot explain why, just point out what has been posted before and that either the laws aren't in line with what government intends, or the guidance is out of kilter with the law. 

I am sure DA can explain though. 

34 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

I'm itching to come across but tbh I can see the usual tinpot knee jerk reaction and borders getting shut back down pretty quick, hence I'm holding back on booking anything at the moment :(

Believe it or not, I have a similar reason for holding back on going across. There have got to be a lot less restrictions, and then there is the prospect of the new variant "Delta +" causing further disruption.

I am fully vaxxed (2+2) but that doesn't seem to count for a lot. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Theoretically yes- It is millions of more times less likely than an unvaccinated person though

I really think this point is being missed by those who still think the hospital will be overrun by the end of next week.

I don’t know what they need to do to reassure people? Maybe a simple graphic that shows how risk to everyone decreases as more people are vaccinated (or infected).

The talk of percentages confuses people, and the message about overall  reduction of risk hasn’t got through.

Eg, a 70% reduction in risk of hospitalisation and a 80% reduction in risk of transmission doesn’t mean 20% of the population are still going to get it and 30% of those  end up in Nobles.

The level of reduction in risk is way, way more than that (as evidenced by figures in the UK)

I really don’t know how they get that across to people, but really think they need to try.  I have seen people taking about shielding kids from next week!!  If these kids are really that vulnerable, surely they never left the house anyway?

Peoples mental health is taking a battering because they are scared of the maths that they don’t understand and it’s sad to see.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Unfortunately what you and the rest of the world are relying on is best guesswork, until the trials are actually complete nobody actually knows for certain what difference the vaccine makes, it’s design is to reduce hospitalisations, if it reduces transmission (not currently confirmed, only hoped at this stage) then all well and good.

As for my way of thinking, if someone double vaccinated spreads Covid19 around without realising it as the vaccine has made them effectively asymptomatic (again not currently confirmed, but it’s thought) then we’re just setting ourselves up for a perfect storm of vaccinated people spreading the virus to what’s left of the unvaccinated population, in which case why have any restrictions? what is the risk in having unvaccinated people travel other than to themselves?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Unfortunately what you and the rest of the world are relying on is best guesswork, until the trials are actually complete nobody actually knows for certain what difference the vaccine makes, it’s design is to reduce hospitalisations, if it reduces transmission (not currently confirmed, only hoped at this stage) then all well and good.

As for my way of thinking, if someone double vaccinated spreads Covid19 around without realising it as the vaccine has made them effectively asymptomatic (again not currently confirmed, but it’s thought) then we’re just setting ourselves up for a perfect storm of vaccinated people spreading the virus to what’s left of the unvaccinated population, in which case why have any restrictions? what is the risk in having unvaccinated people travel other than to themselves?

I rest my case.

Double jabbed people aren’t going to be wandering around infecting unvaccinated people and putting them in hospital.  The figures in the UK already show this.  Canada, America, lots of other places are removing all restrictions for the fully vaccinated.  It isn’t some weird Manx only thing.

There is huge amounts of science and statistics behind it.

Chances are you could quite happily spend a whole day out and about with no vaccine in the company of a double jabbed “spreader” and be fine.

A vaccinated case in the presence of a none vaccinated person is very, very unlikely to pass it on.  If they do there are of course far less people for that person to then pass it onto - because vaccine.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, trmpton said:

The level of reduction in risk is way, way more than that (as evidenced by figures in the UK)

The IOM hasn’t managed the virus the same way the UK has, so it isn’t a great comparison. I think at my last time of reading something like 1 in 5 people in the UK are thought to have had the virus, actual figures aren’t known due to the large number that were largely asymptomatic and went untested, the IOM reached nowhere near that figure, but it’s thought that some level of antibodies would have been built up at this time.

People are now being told that vaccinated people are effectively safe, yet it’s thought that vaccinated folk can still carry and spread the virus, in which case the risk between an unvaccinated person travelling and a vaccinated person travelling is negligible, the vaccinated have protected themselves, they aren’t protecting anyone else, but that is the false information that is being given out (and still continues to be given out).

I think the unvaccinated have a reason to be concerned, you can only protect yourself to a certain extent, the borders being freely open to vaccinated folk significantly increases your risk of contracting the virus.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

His spat with the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece is a belter - he mentioned taxpayers subvention, which is an unusual departure for Government actually recognising the taxpayer. Is HRH The Chief Minister implying that as IOMG are keeping The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece afloat/alive by form of taxpayers cash, then they have to give HRH The Chief Minister preferrential publicity? 

In other countries this could be viewed as corruption. 

Yes he does seem to have done that. 

Have you also noticed the riposte  has come through the Government's new official broadcaster of choice the IOM Constabulary's Media Page. 

It's totally inappropriate for the Police to be engaged as a broadcast media in political matters.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1