IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

50 minutes ago, pongo said:

Realistically though, no hurry. We've all been all over the world for decades. But now seems like a good time to appreciate being at home.

I don't reckon many sensible people are planning to go far for the moment - it's not really worth the bother. And those who really have a pressing family need can get it done with paperwork and quarantines.

Did the home thing last summer pal.

It was shite then.

53 minutes ago, pongo said:

Realistically though, no hurry. We've all been all over the world for decades. But now seems like a good time to appreciate being at home.

I don't reckon many sensible people are planning to go far for the moment - it's not really worth the bother. And those who really have a pressing family need can get it done with paperwork and quarantines.

Realistically lots of us want to travel. We’ve had lock in for 16 months. I did travel for 7 weeks last summer, Spain, Italy, Greece and Bulgaria.

Travel restrictions are tougher now, and infection rates are higher, but we’ve got vaccinations. And I can get to all the places I want to go without tests or isolations if I can lay my hands on an internationally accepted digital certificate.

Brits living in the UK and Channel Islands can get them. They’ve been planning for months. Why can’t I, and why shouldn’t I be allowed to travel?

The reason is irrelevant. Although I’ve got valid reasons. But I don’t see why I should test and isolate on the way out and on the way back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why live somewhere you don't like?

Because it’s where you were born and the rest of your family live?

In normal times you can cancel out how crap it is here with the ability to travel a lot and still be near family.

Currently, and for over a year we can’t and we have been stuck on this little tip.

That is why so many locals have been travelling since as soon as we were able, even just to the UK, and why loads will be off over the bank holiday weekend.

I can only imagine people who love it here haven’t travelled much?  It’s a safe place to bring kids up and educate them (assuming you can get away regularly). That is it.  There is nothing else on offer that you can’t get better in thousands of other places.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why live somewhere you don't like?

I’ve over £3,500 invested  in fares on Brittany Ferries between now and September 2022 that I can’t get back. I’ve moved cancelled sailings as far as I want or am able. I’m next booked in September 2021, that’s the fourth set of dates for that fare. If I don’t go because IOM haven’t issued a digital or secure paper certificate I’m going to lose my money. 

Ive got a home in Catalunya. Not seen it for 9 months. Had builders in due to damp. Want to check the remedial work. Then winterise. Didn’t do that last year because I was due to sail on 22/12, but Spain refused entry to Brits.

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

Better get hold of something to rub out the passport stamps

The Isle of Man Government have no right to demand to see a passport. It is not an international border. Although the Manx Border Force may need reminding of this. 

Other forms of photo ID are available and perfectly acceptable. 

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

The Isle of Man Government have no right to demand to see a passport. It is not an international border. Although the Manx Border Force may need reminding of this. 

Other forms of photo ID are available and perfectly acceptable. 

I was taking the piss. Calm down The stamps will happen though

Edited by snowman

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Other forms of photo ID are available and perfectly acceptable. What’s wrong with telling the relevant authority where you have been?

Im quite happy to show my passport to those with a legitimate interest, albeit that it may not strictly be required that I do so

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

I was taking the piss. Calm down The stamps will happen though

Probably not. Entry into and out of Schengen will be electronically scanned. That’s 75% or more of UK travel.

• Like 1