IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’ve not opened it but lumping on its riddled with fear mongering & promises of death.

i read it and it is exactly that, a proponent of further restrictions and lockdowns, despite repeating constantly that hospitalisations and deaths are low, caveat-ed every time with 'rising'.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Chief said:

i read it and it is exactly that, a proponent of further restrictions and lockdowns, despite repeating constantly that hospitalisations and deaths are low, caveat-ed every time with 'rising'.

Well, the entire planet is watching the UK with baited breath at the moment. They are the forefront of the experiment of letting it run through with a high-ish level of vaccination. Israel are in a similar spot and have reintroduced masks for the Delta variant.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/02/we-are-a-petri-dish-world-watches-uks-race-between-vaccine-and-virus

And no, it isn't just a proponent of further restrictions. It is saying simply, that the government are trying to get it to rip through the population now, and hoping it works without too much fallout. Never mind the percentages of young people reporting long-covid symptoms after 12 weeks. 12% of 17-24 year olds and 7-8% of 2-15 year olds. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Will be interesting to see how the island reacts when today’s figures are announced……

Do you have inside information, Ooooh? 

I do now think we are in the same situation as the UK, i.e. let it rip through the younger/unvaxxed population and taking a gamble that it won’t mutate and come back and bite them on the arse. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gymbabe said:

Do you have inside information, Ooooh? 

I do now think we are in the same situation as the UK, i.e. let it rip through the younger/unvaxxed population and taking a gamble that it won’t mutate and come back and bite them on the arse. 

I remember reading early on that these viruses mutate become more infectious but less deadly. If that's the case then it's what we could be seeing now

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’ve not opened it but lumping on its riddled with fear mongering & promises of death.

To be fair to her, she has toned down some of the emotive stuff in that thread, but yeah, that's basically what it is. It's what it always is with them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, the entire planet is watching the UK with baited breath at the moment. They are the forefront of the experiment of letting it run through with a high-ish level of vaccination. Israel are in a similar spot and have reintroduced masks for the Delta variant.

Huge parts of America and plenty of other places are well ahead of the UK on that front.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

And just who the hell is Christina Pagel to pontificate on how the world should deal with COVID - according to her own prejudices and opinions - because that's all they are and should be treated as such?

Christina Pagel is a British–German mathematician and professor of operational research at University College London. She is the first female director of the Clinical Operational Research Unit at UCL, which applies operational research, data analysis and mathematical modelling to problems in health care.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=Q9ilYz8AAAAJ&hl=en

What are your credentials for your criticisms?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Christina Pagel is a British–German mathematician and professor of operational research at University College London. She is the first female director of the Clinical Operational Research Unit at UCL, which applies operational research, data analysis and mathematical modelling to problems in health care.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=Q9ilYz8AAAAJ&hl=en

But not a doctor though. 

To be fair she makes a good point. But I think she is too late. The world has to move on and the UK already has done. Rightly or wrongly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I didn't criticise her - I raised the legitimate question: 'of all the 'scientists' in all the world what the hell does she have to contribute any more or less than any of the other 'quacks'? The 'science' has , beyond any reasonable doubt, shown themselves to hold no consensus on any COVID issue to the extent (aside from the geneticists who deserve every possible praise in producing the vaccines) that the rest actually know the square root of FA - all guess-work, agenda, politics, opinion and manipulated stats.

• Like 1