IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

I'll just carry on following the science without looking for confirmation bias either way thus making my own mind up. I'd rather leave the dogma and bombast to people like you and just continue to distance, wash/gel the hands (and face) even though I'm double-jabbed, for the sake of myself and others. It's not difficult, no need for panic and hyperbole.

As soon as there is reasonable science kids should be vaccinated. The research into oral and aerosol routes for vaccination purposes seems to be coming along nicely, as is the acquired knowledge.

Dogma and bombast. How cheeky?

I wasnt having a go at you, more the lady here quoted. I am a bit fed up of experts who have lots of ideas about what we shouldn't be doing and criticising but dont have suggestions (realistic ones anyway) about what we should be doing. 

There is no easy pathway. My view is that we shouldn't be vaccinating the u16s at the moment. It's a view based on gut feeling only.

We keep being told that the risk to children is so small that vaccination is not warranted,  but then we get experts saying we shouldn't be allowing the virus to run through schools uncontrolled.

Might point was....its one or the other. Which is best/worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Frankly, I think leaving it to personal responsibility is a load of rubbish. You either point out that it is something to worry about, and encourage public health measures, or you re-assure people that they can crack on as normal.

That’s quite simple, by asking people to make their own decisions, when it all goes wrong (and it will) they can throw the blame straight back onto the public and sidestep all responsibility.

6 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

That’s quite simple, by asking people to make their own decisions, when it all goes wrong (and it will) they can throw the blame straight back onto the public and sidestep all responsibility.

It's understandable to be scared, it's a big change. There are plenty of resources online that may help you.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

You're bang on the money. It has happened before.

It's a political move for a big summer party with some chance of maybe getting away with it.

Not to add cynicism, but it's scheduled conveniently 3 days before the start of Parliament's summer recess too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It's understandable to be scared, it's a big change. There are plenty of resources online that may help you.

Well I’m worried about the impact on the NHS for my own selfish reasons, the waiting list has already grown by a year. I’ve also got family who’ve booked visits here for October and December, I’ll be absolutely livid if that can’t happen because they’ve decided to drop all social distancing/mask wearing measures 4 weeks before the UK has. I also think it makes an absolute mockery of current UK legislation to welcome anyone from the UK with no restrictions when they still have restrictions in their own country.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well I’m worried about the impact on the NHS for my own selfish reasons, the waiting list has already grown by a year. I’ve also got family who’ve booked visits here for October and December, I’ll be absolutely livid if that can’t happen because they’ve decided to drop all social distancing/mask wearing measures 4 weeks before the UK has. I also think it makes an absolute mockery of current UK legislation to welcome anyone from the UK with no restrictions when they still have restrictions in their own country.

I think that from the Island's perspective, we're not in a fundamentally poor spot in some respects.

We have a good level of vaccination and we're open in summer, where most people are outside. The virus seems to abate in summer, as we saw last year too.

The real question is whether that situation will hold, in light of how things are looking across. I expect that there may be a time where Tynwald has to decide between masks/distancing/handwashing and border controls.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You're bang on the money. It has happened before.

It's a political move for a big summer party with some chance of maybe getting away with it.

Not to add cynicism, but it's scheduled conveniently 3 days before the start of Parliament's summer recess too. 

Well as far as I’m concerned it’s just history repeating itself, I don’t trust them. The last two lockdowns we were told to be mindful/careful and to take responsibility for our actions or we’d be put in a lockdown, sure enough it happened. They never made mask wearing mandatory, again it was put onto people to be responsible.

Why are travellers expected to wear a mask on a plane or ferry? when that is the only time it will be required when visiting the island?