IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

The evidence I am seeing now is that a significant number of scientist now believe the UK should have open in June as planned, and that the doomsday predictions aren’t even close to coming true.

We are fine as we are, and in a couple of weeks the UK will be the same

Any citations? I'd be interested to see who is saying that.

3 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Serious question then.

Since the fact that so many are baccinfed makes the spread much less, and since this strain is much less deadly (I in 1000 “cases” lead to death, as opposed to 1 in 60 last year in Uk)

Who do you honestly think on island is likely to die as a direct result of COVId who hasn’t been vaccinated?

Jersey are test to lose anyone under 50 and no deaths since February - as an example.

We are currently in unknown territory, we get frequently compared to the UK but they still have restrictions in place, they still effectively have community testing through the likes of lateral flow tests being used in schools everyday, we haven’t had anywhere near the level of covid deaths they’ve had nor do we have the level of herd immunity (say amongst school kids) that they have.

Your question is impossible to answer at the moment because normally we can observe what happens in the UK first and we get the ripple effect about 3 months later, at the moment the IOM is leading the way in dropping all restrictions ahead of the UK, are they playing with fire? Will they get burnt? Unfortunately only time will tell.

As for IOM covid deaths, previous data shows it’s likely to be those with underlying health issues, the vaccine appears to increase the odds of survival but it’s not a miracle cure.

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

We are currently in unknown territory, we get frequently compared to the UK but they still have restrictions in place, they still effectively have community testing through the likes of lateral flow tests being used in schools everyday, we haven’t had anywhere near the level of covid deaths they’ve had nor do we have the level of herd immunity (say amongst school kids) that they have.

Your question is impossible to answer at the moment because normally we can observe what happens in the UK first and we get the ripple effect about 3 months later, at the moment the IOM is leading the way in dropping all restrictions ahead of the UK, are they playing with fire? Will they get burnt? Unfortunately only time will tell.

As for IOM covid deaths, previous data shows it’s likely to be those with underlying health issues, the vaccine appears to increase the odds of survival but it’s not a miracle cure.

New York then.  Where they also have virtually no restrictions.  Can we use them as a reference?  A city that is much more densely populated than we are?

16 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

The evidence I am seeing now is that a significant number of scientist now believe the UK should have open in June as planned, and that the doomsday predictions aren’t even close to coming true.

We are fine as we are, and in a couple of weeks the UK will be the same

I’ve heard the mixed reports myself, some say lift all restrictions, but there are just as many asking for the extension of mask wearing/social distancing, we’re the first to just drop the lot and have open borders for double vax, perhaps the UK can use us as a test bed instead, seeing as the shoe is now on the other foot.

2 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

New York then.  Where they also have virtually no restrictions.  Can we use them as a reference?  A city that is much more densely populated than we are?

No, the herd immunity throughout the states will be off the charts, they quite literally let it rip through virtually unchallenged. Our closest comparison will probably be the likes of New Zealand or Jersey, who both had an elimination strategy the same as we did initially, but unfortunately they haven’t followed suit with lifting all restrictions so there is no direct comparison to be found. 

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’ve heard the mixed reports myself, some say lift all restrictions, but there are just as many asking for the extension of mask wearing/social distancing, we’re the first to just drop the lot and have open borders for double vax, perhaps the UK can use us as a test bed instead, seeing as the shoe is now on the other foot.

In Britain maybe.  Loads of other places worldwide are weeks ahead of us - no real issues.  Like I say, like New York City

9 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Same New York where they had refrigerated trucks full of bodies? I imagine herd immunity went some way there. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/07/us/new-york-coronavirus-victims-refrigerated-trucks/index.html

They've had 2 million confirmed cases out of 20 million, they have 10.6 million fully vaccinated. 60% of overall population with at least one dose. They're also vaccinating everyone over 12. Note that they also don't extend the gap on Pfizer in the US either. The second dose is vital with Delta.

New York also requires masks in schools, subways, sports arenas, homeless shelters, hospitals, nursing homes and prisons. Unvaccinated people still have to wear masks when indoors in public.

https://apnews.com/article/ny-state-wire-shootings-coronavirus-pandemic-health-615754e0be23aa2ba34485216c09e29b

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Far as I can tell we’re one of the first Countries to accept double vax tourists with no restrictions/testing and no mask wearing on public transport.

Good. We aren’t a world leader which shows others have also deemed it an acceptable risk, and we have higher vaccine take up than most of the others, plus we are coming into it with very low levels of cases.

Sounds ideal to me to be honest, and a rare case of them looking at the data and doing the right thing by the economy rather than pandering to the scared.

Previous reference to refrigerated trucks in New York at the start of the pandemic, to me, are signs of people looking back at irrelevant events rather than positively looking at the difference the vaccine has made.

time will tell

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Any citations? I'd be interested to see who is saying that.

The DT, love it or hate it, did carry several articles from 'scientists' who either supported earlier 'opening up' or going ahead on July 19.  Of course, if your only source of information (and I use that term loosely) is the BBC and Sky, then all you will have heard is the never-ending procession of the lock-down zealots that they have over-flowing from their go-to for doom and despondency contacts list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

And for the face-nappy addicts (don't you just love to re-inhale from that lovely moist, bug-laden, toxic scrap of material so lovingly, and unthinkingly, wrapped around your mush?)

screenshot.png.408728e0809d015e8ca3634698e5559f.png

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Good. We aren’t a world leader which shows others have also deemed it an acceptable risk, and we have higher vaccine take up than most of the others, plus we are coming into it with very low levels of cases.

Sounds ideal to me to be honest, and a rare case of them looking at the data and doing the right thing by the economy rather than pandering to the scared.

Previous reference to refrigerated trucks in New York at the start of the pandemic, to me, are signs of people looking back at irrelevant events rather than positively looking at the difference the vaccine has made.

time will tell

Remember the videos coming out of China of people literally dropping dead on the street? Looking back now its comical

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

The DT, love it or hate it, did carry several articles from 'scientists' who either supported earlier 'opening up' or going ahead on July 19.  Of course, if your only source of information (and I use that term loosely) is the BBC and Sky, then all you will have heard is the never-ending procession of the lock-down zealots that they have over-flowing from their go-to for doom and despondency contacts list.

You disparage the BBC and Sky but repeatedly reffer to the Telegraph. The same Telegraph that publishes Toby "The pandemic is over, there will be no second wave - 10/20" Young and a bunch of others who have been constantly wrong. Run by a billionaire tax exile.

Fuck the Telegraph.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1