IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s not really true though is it? You don’t go to the doctor with no symptoms whatsoever and say I think I have an STI can I have a test. People generally go because they’ve been contacted by someone who has it, or they actually have symptoms of an STI. I would imagine if someone turned up at a doctors demanding an STI test but having no symptoms at all the doctor would assume that they’ve done something they regret and really it’s a psychological issue (guilt, fear etc) that’s driving the test request.

You're right, you bypass the doctor entirely. You simply call the GUM clinic and turn up. You don't even have to give your real name in the UK ones.

You'll find that regular STI screening is heavily encouraged after unprotected sex, or before sleeping with a new partner. Especially in age groups where they're more likely to be at risk.

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

have done very nicely out of the whole testing/track & trace hierarchy. 

....a whole new gravy train and as we all know, once you're on one, you have to be dragged off it kicking and screaming.  But fear not, CV will be kept alive by vested interests long after the virus itself has fallen into the dusty annals of epidemiology.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Utah 01 said:

....a whole new gravy train and as we all know, once you're on one, you have to be dragged off it kicking and screaming.  But fear not, CV will be kept alive by vested interests long after the virus itself has fallen into the dusty annals of epidemiology.

If you actually look at the fundamentals of the outbreak and management in the UK, the mismanagement has always prioritised the wealthy at the expense of the lower classes.

If you can't see that, but claim it's all some conspiracy, then that's where the blindness lies. Boris doesn't want COVID, it hurts the pockets of his mates. The working class on the other hand are expendable.

22 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

If all they had was a cough you shouldn't have called really.  Kids get coughs.

Agreed, always has a cough of some description, but this has been particularly bad.  To the point of vomiting a couple of times due to coughing so much and a couple of days of high temps. 

Thanks for assuming I'm a full hypochondriac though! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m still yet to hear a coherent argument for the prolongation of testing.

It’s causing more problems than it’s preventing. It’s expensive & those being isolated are going about it in a half hearted, can’t be arsed manner anyway.

Hopefully on July 19th we’ll receive confirmation from our leader that it is to be scrapped.

If you are sick enough to receive medical attention you seek it.

THE END.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m still yet to hear a coherent argument for the prolongation of testing.

It’s causing more problems than it’s preventing. It’s expensive & those being isolated are going about it in a half hearted, can’t be arsed manner anyway.

Hopefully on July 19th we’ll receive confirmation from our leader that it is to be scrapped.

If you are sick enough to receive medical attention you seek it.

THE END.

The whole point behind testing is it's telling you if you're getting your approach right.

If it is working on the island, and we're keeping cases down, then great. We can demonstrate we're a world leader in living normally, with minimal spread.

But we should be doing enough to prove that, not wing it on a gut feeling because not enough people have gotten ill yet.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The whole point behind testing is it's telling you if you're getting your approach right.

If it is working on the island, and we're keeping cases down, then great. We can demonstrate we're a world leader in living normally, with minimal spread.

But we should be doing enough to prove that, not wing it on a gut feeling because not enough people have gotten ill yet.

It's what they're doing with the results that are causing the problems. 

Isolating healthy people (vaxxed or unvaxxed) is insane. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 1:17 PM, kevster said:

"The numbers of the batches not approved by the European Union are 4120Z001, 4120Z002 and 4120Z003."

So I've just emailed Ashie this:IMG_2392.png.9a90f782db63fb09ce53060cefb934ba.png

On 7/9/2021 at 1:19 PM, swoopy2110 said:

Let us know what he comes back with please.

Got a reply from Ashie

The press release is not stating those batches were not administered on island. They were, what has been stated is the status of these batches has now changed. The issue with those batches was an error on the EU’s part in relation to those batches and the EU has reversed its advice last week. Basically it’s now been confirmed by the EMA that after further examination those three batches do comply with the EMA licence. The EU thought they did not so listed them as none compliant but in fact it’s emerged they do comply as they contain no Covishield vaccines. The U.K. has proved this to the EMA so  those batches are fine and are in fact covered by the existing EMA licence. The EU had assumed all batches coming from India to anywhere in the world were Covishield which is not the case. All EU countries I believe have been informed of this so there is no reason Malta should be barring entry to anyone with those batches numbers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It's what they're doing with the results that are causing the problems. 

Isolating healthy people (vaxxed or unvaxxed) is insane. 

If that person can make someone else ill, how do you mitigate their risk to other people whilst they are infectious?

You've got morality, economics and health are rolled into one big mess.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Agreed, always has a cough of some description, but this has been particularly bad.  To the point of vomiting a couple of times due to coughing so much and a couple of days of high temps. 

Yeah, my kid often gets a cough, its been the case throughout his 10 years of life so far. Haven't had him tested for covid at any point in the pandemic, because it has been what I'd consider normal for him. If the cough had come along with anything different I would have done.

You seem to have approached it in the right way.

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Your knowledge of the STI testing process is admirable. But the point remains that you’re unlikely to request a test if you aren’t displaying any symptoms at all as generally people aren’t worried about passing on something that they don’t have. For the same reason I would never request a covid test unless I was strongly displaying symptoms of covid (and to be fair probably not even then, I’d just self isolate and wait until I felt better). Also if we are just getting on with it now I don’t see why we should be forcing people to self isolate just because they’ve been near someone who has tested positive. 

The point you miss is you are actively encouraged to request a test in absence of symptoms, if there are circumstances where you're likely to be passing something asymptomatic to you onwards.

• Thanks 1