IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Ashford needs to stop worrying about NHS apps and look at the situation where healthy people are being denied the opportunity to earn a living. 

Businesses may be destroyed if they don't fix the current situation. Suggestions that you can apply for incapacity benefit in lieu of lost earnings are surely a sick joke. 

The qr code / travel bit of the app needs to be sorted because it's safer to holiday in many parts of Europe than it is in the UK.

Clearly it's better to holiday somewhere safer if possible.

Edited by snowman

7 minutes ago, snowman said:

The qr code / travel bit of the app needs to be sorted because it's safer to holiday in many parts of Europe than it is in the UK.

Clearly it's better to holiday somewhere safer if possible.

Its fine. The Manx Care endorsed letter will have no problems being accepted at EU borders 😉

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It’s running rampant. Only a fool would suggest it’s not out there & amongst us.

Its clearly not running rampant. Although it will be spreading and that spread will gather pace over the next few weeks.

I think we knew that would happen. The infection rate will rise here as it is in the UK. We all knew that was going to happen but its living with it and accepting it that is what we need people to understand. Some people can't understand science, uncertainty and working in a grey area. They only see black and white.

Testing and tracing is no longer about elimination, its about controlling the rate of infection and will continue for some time yet as it does for many infectious diseases and its just normal practice. However the handing out willy nilly- default isolation instructions needs to stop otherwise we will all be in it before long. I think, belatedly, government realise this now

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its clearly not running rampant. Although it will be spreading and that spread will gather pace over the next few weeks.

I think we knew that would happen. The infection rate will rise here as it is in the UK. We all knew that was going to happen but its living with it and accepting it that is what we need people to understand. Some people can't understand science, uncertainty and working in a grey area. They only see black and white.

Testing and tracing is no longer about elimination, its about controlling the rate of infection and will continue for some time yet as it does for many infectious diseases and its just normal practice. However the handing out willy nilly- default isolation instructions needs to stop otherwise we will all be in it before long. I think, belatedly, government realise this now

What a lot of people fail to see is the lighter restrictions such as mask wearing/social distancing were never intended to stop all transmission, they were just intended to stem the rate of transmission, trouble is they don’t work unless everyone does it, it’s effectively casting a large net over a crowd some are still going to slip through the net.

As the UK releases their restrictions we will also see a vast increase in positives, amazingly we still have none in hospital/ICU which is somewhat surprising but good news.

40 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

As the UK releases their restrictions we will also see a vast increase in positives, amazingly we still have none in hospital/ICU which is somewhat surprising but good news.

Doesn't surprise me.  Vaccine efficacy for preventing serious illness/death is very high.  In the UK winter wave overall deaths were about 2% of cases, admissions about 7%.  Divide those by 10, approximately, to get the effects of the vaccination programme.  With about 100 active cases, that's less than 1 expected admission.

We will get cases in hospital, probably, over the next week or two.  If case numbers reach 500 without an admission, then I'll be surprised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Doesn't surprise me.  Vaccine efficacy for preventing serious illness/death is very high.  In the UK winter wave overall deaths were about 2% of cases, admissions about 7%.  Divide those by 10, approximately, to get the effects of the vaccination programme.  With about 100 active cases, that's less than 1 expected admission.

We will get cases in hospital, probably, over the next week or two.  If case numbers reach 500 without an admission, then I'll be surprised.

We’ve actually exceeded 100 active cases it’s just some of the earliest cases have now started to drop off, I’m still surprised, I would expect routine cases to be picked up by hospital admissions or is is only counted as a hospital case if they’re in hospital as a direct result of Covid?

Just now, Annoymouse said:

We’ve actually exceeded 100 active cases it’s just some of the earliest cases have now started to drop off, I’m still surprised, I would expect routine cases to be picked up by hospital admissions or is is only counted as a hospital case if they’re in hospital as a direct result of Covid?

Well that certainly should be the case.

15 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

If it's a routine procedure they're being screened for they wouldn't be admitted, as the positive test would preclude it.  As for other things, good question.  Say you feel fit and well and break your ankle out running.  It needs fixing, you test positive for covid.  Is that a covid case in hospital?  I'd argue not, but it would probably count for the day or two they were in.

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If it's a routine procedure they're being screened for they wouldn't be admitted, as the positive test would preclude it.  As for other things, good question.  Say you feel fit and well and break your ankle out running.  It needs fixing, you test positive for covid.  Is that a covid case in hospital?  I'd argue not, but it would probably count for the day or two they were in.

I see masks have to be worn on wards/clinical areas so the actual risk of spread within the hospital is actually quite low, with regards to hospital figures, say someone is admitted via A&E they happen to be Covid positive, I assume they’d be isolated from the other patients, but would they be classed a hospital case?, I assume it would be as someone Covid positive is in hospital, regardless of the reason why.

ICU is similar, someone double vax could have a bad mishap and end up in ICU, if they tested a positive it would still count as a positive case within ICU even if it isn’t a direct result of Covid? When I say I’m expecting to see hospital cases by now I don’t just mean people requiring ventilators and the hospital running out of beds to house them.

This is a very interesting piece from Chris Hopson, the CEO of NHS Providers.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/07/13/chris-hopson-nhs-trust-pressures-addressing-demand-when-capacity-is-constrained/

He's talking about the current challenges the NHS is facing and why, and the challenges that he's concerned about going forward.

This includes the backlogs, mental health crises and more.

• Thanks 1