IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Well, what a disaster our trip to the island has been so far! 
we honestly have no idea what is going on now, but myself on an exemption arrived with my daughter who needs path 2 test and release. We booked test up front, but it was far later into our trip than we’d been led to believe.  But when arrived at hotel, was told by hotel we BOTH have to isolate, I say, no I’m on an exemption so I can come and go, hotel says the duty manager will be forced to call the police if I leave! 
so I stay in with my daughter, eventually go through the TNS on phone this morning who said what hotel says is wrong, I can indeed come and go as I please, only my kid needs to stay in room.  
so I tell hotel, who tell me they will tell this duty manager and see what he thinks! WTF is it to do with them? 

so we have been stuck here 48 hrs, and just got test done at lunchtime. When taken, nothing was scanned, no reference taken, but they had a form  with kids name and DOB on it, so was expected.  We ask when we can expect the (hopefully negative) result, and we’re told, oh, we are on,y notifying people of the POSITIVE results, as there is such a huge number of tests and feedback to do! 
so we need a confirmed negative test and we are being told to assume it’s negative unless you here that it is not, in the next day or so! So again, we are stuck at hotel and cannot go anywhere unless we get a confirmed NEG result, but they are not confirming them as such! 
Honestly, I wish we’d never come, no one seems to know what’s going on, we have been on hold for over an hour to 111 and I am still only 7th in queue, all to ask how we will get our result!? 
I sense they are snowed under.  But we go  back Sunday morning and at this rate will have spent a grand on 5 nights in a terrible hotel with no aircon or proper opening windows confined to room in case the management grass me up to the bizzies. 

as for the hotel run by grasses! Well over 100 quid a night and it’s terrible quite honestly. Room, service (complete lack or it) just awful 

welcome to the Isle of Man indeed! 

I sense your frustration and I acknowledge the hotel manager is wrong about you needing to isolate. And even more our test system is letting you down. 

However, there may be hotel policy reasons for the threat to tell the police if you leave your daughter. It’s to do with safeguarding. There is no minimum or maximum legal age at which it is illegal to leave a child alone.  And I’ve no idea how mature your daughter is. But the hotel should have, must have, a policy about “home alone” guests under 16 if they don’t offer, or you don’t take up, a baby/teen sitting service.

That said, I think the suggestion by wrighty of getting some LTF tests and both of you test every morning is workable.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Was that ages ago, when it was still thought there might be an actual risk to kids?

David explained how concerns have changed since earlier in the pandemic only a couple of hours ago, based on all the data that is available now that wasn’t available when they were being overly cautious.

People need to start looking at real time data.  Data from months ago and thoughts and opinions from months ago are totally irrelevant as they were based on guessing 

So they were guessing when they had the real time data then, so they're guessing with the real time data now?

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

3 hours ago,  Annoymouse said: 

How is it useful? It’s only useful to stop spread, the only way to stop spread is to stop infectedpeople sharing the same breathing space, we aren’t going to be doing that, we don’t have any restrictions so what’s the point?

Not this nonsense again, how do you tell an infected person from someone that isn’t infected when it’s largely an asymptomatic virus? 

2 minutes ago, yindyssagh said:

So they were guessing when they had the real time data then, so they're guessing with the real time data now?

They didn’t have real time data then.

They were being massively over cautious and suggesting kids with asthma etc might be high risk.

They now have data that says they aren’t, because basically no kids have died or been seriously ill in comparison to adults even if they are classed as vulnerable.

It was all explained this afternoon and also very clear from looking at any of the data.

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

Can any of the numbers boffins run the figures and tell when we should hit herd immunity?

sure, tell us what the known percentage for "herd immunity" is. 

The problem is that herd immunity is a concept that doesn't work with a constantly evolving virus like COVID. 

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Thought it was good of them to clear up the confusion over Green / Amber / Red List countries and updated guidance on restrictions / testing / isolation given the schools break up next Friday.

Oh, hang on .........

What a pair of wallies.

We have all known since at least the start of this year that it would be silly to be booking a family vacation abroad this year. So the whole business of Green/Amber/Red won't affect anyone sensible. Not here and not in the UK either.

It will all get sorted out in time. No rush.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

We have all known since at least the start of this year that it would be silly to be booking a family vacation abroad this year. So the whole business of Green/Amber/Red won't affect anyone sensible. Not here and not in the UK either.

It will all get sorted out in time. No rush.

Bollocks. It's safer to go abroad to many European countries than be in the uk

• Like 1