IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The problem is, the goalposts can move rapidly.

Talking about vaccination, which only accounts for those who can be vaccinated as a measure of hers immunity makes the person stating those figures looks proper whopper.

Herd immunity would be based on the entire population and those vaccinated and those previously infected and would also vary depending on the ability for a virus to infect others.  Which obviously varies depending on age, level of resistance, level of infection blah blah.

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

Talking about vaccination, which only accounts for those who can be vaccinated as a measure of hers immunity makes the person stating those figures looks proper whopper.

Herd immunity would be based on the entire population and those vaccinated and those previously infected and would also vary depending on the ability for a virus to infect others.  Which obviously varies depending on age, level of resistance, level of infection blah blah.

Agreed, but, there seems to be a consensus that infection-acquired immunity isn't as good as vaccination-acquired immunity.

Plus, Delta already has mutations associated with immune escape. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03777-9

Anecdotally, I'm hearing of people getting re-infected across, where the families have already had COVID once over the course of the pandemic.

12 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There ain't no stoppin' it now, it's on the move.

How many positive cases would we need to have in order to appear on the amber/red list? I assume we’ll always be able to travel without restrictions to the UK as it’s within the common travel area?

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

Can any of the numbers boffins run the figures and tell when we should hit herd immunity?

Probably not until children are vaccinated as well.  You probably need to get the vaccination percentage into the 90s to be certain and you can't do that without vaccinating children. 

And you certainly can't rely on 'natural' immunity from those who have already contracted the disease doing the same job as vaccines can.  It's not as long lasting, hit and miss whether it has an effect and not much good at coping with new variants.  Scientists design their vaccines to be as flexible as possible to changes in the vaccine response and of course everyone gets the same product with a particular brand.  Nature can come up with wonderful solutions but takes a lot longer to get there and makes a lot of mistakes.

On the subject of the numbers the cases dashboard seem to have fallen apart as far as analysis goes (with regard to age, sex, symptoms, locations and so on).  This makes it very difficult to assess what characterises the latest cases.  Age-wise most do seem to be in the 15-30 bracket, but rather worryingly there are several over 70.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

About a week ago

That'll be why there aren't any new cases then.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

How many positive cases would we need to have in order to appear on the amber/red list? I assume we’ll always be able to travel without restrictions to the UK as it’s within the common travel area?

Ireland is within the CTA and there are restrictions. It is of course a different country

51 minutes ago, snowman said:

Has anyone used private on island PCR testing for international travel ?

I've had notification of negative results in the past (not for the intention to travel)  and there's nothing on the letter about the testing platform. So wondering how such a result letter would be received at the border when traveling. Has anyone got recent information?

I've used the 111 PCR letter for international travel from LHR to Amber, 2nd July. No problem with it getting accepted, even though they issue them on Word docs.

You're more likely to run into problems on your return. Not a problem to do the UK Border Passenger Locator form, which you must do, but you might have a problem, as I did, with proving your IOM test to release on return is acceptable in lieu of a UK test to release.

Best bet is to enter your travel details into this:

https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero

And read the small print regarding/ignoring the Isle of Man. All international airlines follow the advice of this system (Timatic) to the letter & do not recognise the Isle of Man as a separate entity.

Bookmark the site, you might need to quote its advice at check in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

It's not so much about safety. More about logistics and practicalities. Which will inevitably be a  constantly shifting landscape for months yet.

But we knew back in the winter that it would be like this. Which is why nobody sensible has planned family travel abroad.

The traffic light list wouldn't be changing so often and so unpredictably if there was a coherent and competent government

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

I sense your frustration and I acknowledge the hotel manager is wrong about you needing to isolate. And even more our test system is letting you down. 

However, there may be hotel policy reasons for the threat to tell the police if you leave your daughter. It’s to do with safeguarding. There is no minimum or maximum legal age at which it is illegal to leave a child alone.  And I’ve no idea how mature your daughter is. But the hotel should have, must have, a policy about “home alone” guests under 16 if they don’t offer, or you don’t take up, a baby/teen sitting service.

That said, I think the suggestion by wrighty of getting some LTF tests and both of you test every morning is workable.

Nope, his threat is because he  thinks I have to isolate as well, and he is flat out wrong. 
As for safeguarding, don’t make me fuckin laugh! We’re stuck in a room that had had to have curtains drawn shut all day to keep sun out, a windows that only opens an inch at the top and is covered by a curtain, and it is currently 29 degrees in here. 
They won’t even send us up a fuckin pen ‘because of Covid’ apparently! 

as for my kid, well at home she does at least half the cooking for us all, in lockdown she wa doing us all three meals a day. And not just heating stuff up, proper cooking, makes fresh pasta, bakes, loads of low carb recipes all from scratch. She’s more than capable to be left on her own for half an hour whilst I pop to the Spar 

the reason he’s threatened the bizzies, is that he’s a dickhead that doesn’t knew his arse from his elbow and who doesn’t care because I’ve had to prepay 650 quid to stay here.  

oh and , of course I spent the sum total of 27 quid on phone calls to the hotel to set this trip up, as they messed up the reservation twice which necessitated international calls. So they knew exactly what we were doing and planning. 

Edited by Pieman

3 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Nope, his threat is because he  thinks I have to isolate as well, and he is flat out wrong. 
As for safeguarding, don’t make me fuckin laugh! We’re stuck in a room that had had to have curtains drawn shut all day to keep sun out, a windows that only opens an inch at the top and is covered by a curtain, and it is currently 29 degrees in here. 
They won’t even send us up a fuckin pen ‘because of Covid’ apparently! 

as for my kid, well at home she does at least half the cooking for us all, in lockdown she wa doing us all three meals a day. And not just heating stuff up, proper cooking, makes fresh pasta, bakes, loads of low carb recipes all from scratch. She’s more than capable to be left on her own for half an hour whilst I pop to the Spar 

the reason he’s threatened the bizzies, is that he’s a dickhead that doesn’t knew his arse from his elbow and who doesn’t care because I’ve had to prepay 650 quid to stay here. 

Name the hotel

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Pieman said:

Well, what a disaster our trip to the island has been so far! 
we honestly have no idea what is going on now, but myself on an exemption arrived with my daughter who needs path 2 test and release. We booked test up front, but it was far later into our trip than we’d been led to believe.  But when arrived at hotel, was told by hotel we BOTH have to isolate, I say, no I’m on an exemption so I can come and go, hotel says the duty manager will be forced to call the police if I leave! 
so I stay in with my daughter, eventually go through the TNS on phone this morning who said what hotel says is wrong, I can indeed come and go as I please, only my kid needs to stay in room.  
so I tell hotel, who tell me they will tell this duty manager and see what he thinks! WTF is it to do with them? 

so we have been stuck here 48 hrs, and just got test done at lunchtime. When taken, nothing was scanned, no reference taken, but they had a form  with kids name and DOB on it, so was expected.  We ask when we can expect the (hopefully negative) result, and we’re told, oh, we are on,y notifying people of the POSITIVE results, as there is such a huge number of tests and feedback to do! 
so we need a confirmed negative test and we are being told to assume it’s negative unless you here that it is not, in the next day or so! So again, we are stuck at hotel and cannot go anywhere unless we get a confirmed NEG result, but they are not confirming them as such! 
Honestly, I wish we’d never come, no one seems to know what’s going on, we have been on hold for over an hour to 111 and I am still only 7th in queue, all to ask how we will get our result!? 
I sense they are snowed under.  But we go  back Sunday morning and at this rate will have spent a grand on 5 nights in a terrible hotel with no aircon or proper opening windows confined to room in case the management grass me up to the bizzies. 

as for the hotel run by grasses! Well over 100 quid a night and it’s terrible quite honestly. Room, service (complete lack or it) just awful 

welcome to the Isle of Man indeed! 

Mate, you took your daugh

ter on a holiday gambling that she'd test negative and be allowed to go about her holiday. I think that was a stupid choice. Sorry, no sympathy here.