IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Meanwhile in Jersey.

84,000 people tested.

No hospital admissions.

They’ve protected their health service.

What's the biggest issue for you with respect to the current measures? In what ways do you feel that our economy is significantly suffering - vs the very clear upside?

Or is it just some old nonsense about missing an holiday or your kids having to find their own way to university. Like every previous generation which went to university or joined the forces or got a job away?

3 minutes ago, Southfork said:

I’ve seen it suggested several times on Twitter and Facebook now in the last few days

So some bloke on Twitter or Facebook? Probably you actually - or the people whose opinions you agree with and therefore follow. For the most part the stuff you see on social media will be stuff you agree with. Obviously.

Certainly not any sort of consensus. 

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Err, mine was a joke, don't drag me into your paranoid bullshit

Well it does look cheap at first glance. Guernsey has now tested 11,000 people we’ve tested about 2,500. Jersey has tested about 86,000 people. What’s paranoid about that? Looks like locking people up and threatening them with jail is a real cheapo way of dealing with everything. As long as we have money for shiny new buses we can screw the cost of comprehensive Covid testing I assume?

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

So some bloke on Twitter or Facebook? Probably you actually - or the people whose opinions you agree with and therefore follow. For the most part the stuff you see on social media will be stuff you agree with. Obviously.

Certainly not any sort of consensus. 

Have you got the painters in? Not sure why you see the need to froth and the mouth and rant so much about such an innocuous comment to be honest.  It does look a bit cheap to be honest when you scrutinize it. 

Edited by Southfork

1 minute ago, pongo said:

What's the biggest issue for you with respect to the current measures? In what ways do you feel that our economy is significantly suffering - vs the very clear upside?

Or is it just some old nonsense about missing an holiday or your kids having to find their own way to university. Like every previous generation which went to university or joined the forces or got a job away?

Quite honestly?

I simply believe the measures are now completely unnecessary.

The restrictions that have been placed upon us are not commensurate with the risk of the virus entering our shores in a controlled manner.

It is my belief that basic human freedoms are being taken away in lieu of fear being perpetuated by radicals & doom mongers on social media.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Well it is cheap at first glance. Guernsey has now tested 11,000 people we’ve tested 2,500. What’s paranoid about that? It’s fact. Looks like locking people up and threatening them with jail is a real cheapo way of dealing with everything. As long as we have money for shiny new buses we can screw the cost of comprehensive Covid testing I assume! 

Erm we've done 10000 tests https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It is my belief that basic human freedoms are being taken away in lieu of fear being perpetuated by radicals & doom mongers on social media.

You're not only talking about the Isle of Man are you? This is part of your world view right?

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

You're not only talking about the Isle of Man are you? This is part of your world view right?

I’ll put it another way.

The virus is not even close to being as deadly as was first suggested.

In fact I would go as far as saying we are witnessing the most unnecessary over reaction in the history of mankind.

I truly believe that.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

In fact I would go as far as saying we are witnessing the most unnecessary over reaction in the history of mankind.

I truly believe that.

So when you argue against the IOM govt, in reality you are arguing against nearly all of the world's govts and nearly all medical opinion. It's basically you and the Trump people.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’ll put it another way.

I truly believe that.

I’d leave it there. No point in trying to disturb a load of hyped up lazy gets shitting it about the world eventually catching up with us and then them all having to go back to work and things. 

22 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’ll put it another way.

I truly believe that.

You've seen the pictures of coffins piled up and mass burials etc. That really happened you know.

OK, not here but elsewhere in the world. It happened.

You're right, the virus hasn't been as deadly as was first suggested, but If the world was full of Nom de plume's it would have been.

And on the Isle of Man the  NSC (or wherever) would have been coffin central. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Well it does look cheap at first glance. Guernsey has now tested 11,000 people we’ve tested about 2,500. Jersey has tested about 86,000 people. What’s paranoid about that? Looks like locking people up and threatening them with jail is a real cheapo way of dealing with everything. As long as we have money for shiny new buses we can screw the cost of comprehensive Covid testing I assume?

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from but we're around the same number of tests as Guernsey, give or take a few hundred. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gettafa said:

You've seen the pictures of coffins piled up and mass burials etc. That really happened you know.

OK, not here but elsewhere in the world. It happened.

You're right, the virus hasn't been as deadly as was first suggested, but If the world was full of Nom de plume's it would have been.

And on the Isle of Man the  NSC (or wherever) would have been coffin central. 

You’re right but then again without wishing to be too unkind the coffins are generally piling up in shithole countries where disease (any disease) always runs rife. Places like India and Brazil where poverty is widespread and people in cities live in top of each other and basic services are poor. That’s where the huge issues are. It’s a bit like conditions in 1918 in the Spanish Flu pandemic where poverty, insanitary conditions, malnutrition, and a host of other issues made the situation a lot worse that it could have been. That was never going to happen here or in the UK. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from but we're around the same number of tests as Guernsey, give or take a few hundred. 

I guess when Guernsey go to next phase of testing stations at all ports with quarantine ending when you get a negative result if traveling from select areas then their testing numbers will take off.

unless of course we follow the same route as our peer group!