IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Here is a graph about South Africa and variants 

See if you can work out what's going on

Well I’m fairly certain we initially dodged the Beta variant as we were locked down, wasn’t all of our cases the Kent variant? That would suggest if the Beta variant is here it would be just as rife as Delta.

11 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Why would anyone who is 2 + 2  ring 111 or go for a test anyway?.

Better to cure yourself at home if possible if you have symptoms.

If it gets so bad that you need hospital treatment you will be tested without the queue.

Well. To be sure I suppose. Those home testing kits claim 99.whatever percent reliability. But in practice iv heard and read they are more around 75%. On top of that, if the test is looking for antibodies as opposed to viral genetic information then some tests can be triggered by having recently had a vaccine due to the presence of antibodies in response to it. If you look at our recent history, this is before restrictions ended. We were Covid free in the community and yet there were still hundreds getting tested each day with cases few and far between outside of those coming back from travel. It's easy enough to get a cough and feel a bit ill and think its Covid, but it might not be, it might just be a bad cold. Getting a test helps validate this and if its not Covid then you don't need to isolate etc.

Edited by Chie
  • Like 1

So the EAG were not consulted on the latest changes, but DA thought they had been and it didn't matter anyway as Comin make the decision.  

It underlines that the EAG is just a sop to look like they are consulting.  On such an important change you would think that an actual response would have been sought even if it was just a "nothing to add".

Not that I disagree with the changes on isolation but either the EAG has a valued input or it is just a token arrangement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So the EAG were not consulted on the latest changes, but DA thought they had been and it didn't matter anyway as Comin make the decision.  

It underlines that the EAG is just a sop to look like they are consulting.  On such an important change you would think that an actual response would have been sought even if it was just a "nothing to add".

Not that I disagree with the changes on isolation but either the EAG has a valued input or it is just a token arrangement. 

Agree totally and with modern technology how hard would it have been to get input from the individuals involved .   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There’s also questions over how quickly the EAG can assemble for (urgent) meetings. I have read recently about members not being available for meetings; they are all working professionals and maybe taking holidays themselves. 

4 hours ago, Chie said:

Well. To be sure I suppose. Those home testing kits claim 99.whatever percent reliability. But in practice iv heard and read they are more around 75%. On top of that, if the test is looking for antibodies as opposed to viral genetic information then some tests can be triggered by having recently had a vaccine due to the presence of antibodies in response to it. If you look at our recent history, this is before restrictions ended. We were Covid free in the community and yet there were still hundreds getting tested each day with cases few and far between outside of those coming back from travel. It's easy enough to get a cough and feel a bit ill and think its Covid, but it might not be, it might just be a bad cold. Getting a test helps validate this and if its not Covid then you don't need to isolate etc.

So the kits offer two numbers. 

There’s the chance of a false negative and a chance of a false positive. 

The odds of it showing you’re positive when you are often gets touted at about 75%. But the cases with higher viral load (riddled with it) are picked up more accurately. Some news articles are saying up to 98% accuracy when symptoms start. 

The odds of it showing positive when you’re not are very low though. 

The tests here are looking for COVID antigens rather than the antibodies. So the vaccine won’t alter that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

There’s also questions over how quickly the EAG can assemble for (urgent) meetings. I have read recently about members not being available for meetings; they are all working professionals and maybe taking holidays themselves. 

Papers can be sent by email and comments made.  They could even meet virtually. 

• Like 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-consultation-over-testing-changes-says-eag/

it seems the left hand does not know what the right hand is supposed to be doing.

Maybe DA / CoMIN doesn't really think the EAG has anything of value to add. This is where most of the confusion and, dare I say it, the fear and anxiety stems from. 

I am losing faith in them to actually make decisions any more. They don't even quote the "scientific advice" strapline  and Henrietta seems to have gone quiet.

These decisions must be clinically based, not by people who have one eye on the General Election. Covid will not be dealt with by populism. Lord help us when it comes down to vaccinating (possibly) children discussions as they will really be out of their depth then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1