IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

How do you get the LFT if you haven't been identified as a close contact?   What if you have mild symptoms?  What do you do about your work or other household members? That is what people are hoping to get out of 111.

The criteria for obtaining LFT kits seems to differ from outlet to outlet. A member of one family was able to get four kits on the basis of one member being a close contact (shared a lengthy taxi ride with someone who then tested positive soon after) but I've also heard of others being refused when they had similar reason. I've also heard of people being refused more than one kit. (Meaning each family member would have to go in separately.)

111 don't seem to be issuing anything to close contacts; in the case of the family above, it was left to the person with the confirmed positive result to inform their close contacts as they were encouraged - but not required - to do. 

As with anything covid related issued by this government lately, the information is vague and open to (mis)interpretation, and both the people working the 111 phone lines and the people working in chemists seem to be winging it in the absence of clear direction and leadership from Ashford/DHSC, Henrietta/PH and CoMin. 

It's an absolute shambles. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

In the aftermath of the WW2 one of the key doctrines of governing, in the western world at least, was the protection of all citizens. In the UK, successive Labour governments, especially Attlee’s, saw part of their role as making life better for ordinary people. This policy was in many ways, the birth of the so called ‘nanny state’.

The Covid-19 pandemic has thrown a proverbial spanner into this principle. The question now is - How and where do you draw the line between the governments’ responsibility to protect its citizens and individuals’ personal responsibility to look after themselves?

What chagrins me about the IOMG is that they abruptly changed from protecting their citizens from Covid to prioritising government’s finances. The new mantra seems to be that the government only has so much money and therefore people (citizens) can’t expect the IOMG pay for everything.  Presumably a loss of circa £200m in the 20/21 FY has scared them a bit. It is a pity that they do not apply the same prudence to the salaries and pensions of CSs (and MHKs), or wasteful projects committed to by the incompetent DOI.

Note about Covid: Just because most kids with Covid do not display severe symptoms it is still highly likely that some will incur some kind of damage to their organs and others will experience Long Covid. This statement is not scaremongering, it is a statement of the actual science.

Personally, I would rather my taxes contributed towards compensating individuals and businesses that suffer financial hardships due to Covid, than to see young people contracting the virus and potentially enduring months of debilitating Long Covid.

In the meantime, “England’s Covid unlocking is threat to world”, say 1,200 scientists. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/16/englands-covid-unlocking-a-threat-to-the-world-experts-say

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Fair points and yes I see that arguement.

My overarching point though was that they did not want to know what the EAG thought as it was extremely unlikely to have supported the action.

Doesn't make it right no, but sometimes those who are in positions where decisions have to be made, have to make them and cannot dither for weeks trying to keep everyone happy.

The change has clearly been in the works for some time. So far so that the EAG in early June asked for clarification about new isolation policies on close contacts and who they would apply to. The EAG asked whether that would apply to all close contacts or just outside of the household.

But, the Government act as though it has caught them completely unawares. 111 is struggling to cope with the current demand, which surely, they must've foreseen, knowing they were planning for the stage where the virus is established in the community.

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The change has clearly been in the works for some time. So far so that the EAG in early June asked for clarification about new isolation policies on close contacts and who they would apply to. The EAG asked whether that would apply to all close contacts or just outside of the household.

But, the Government act as though it has caught them completely unawares. 111 is struggling to cope with the current demand, which surely, they must've foreseen, knowing they were planning for the stage where the virus is established in the community.

I said the other day they do not do forward planning or if they do it seems to only ever be based on the best case strategy.

How could they not have foreseen just how infectious this variant is and asked themselves one simple question: How are businesses going to stay open if everyone is sick at once?

I wonder if Howard getting infected in the first wave has skewed his view on this?

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 1

111 service over whelmed and this is the advice issued http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=62832&headline=Government advice as Covid 111 line overwhelmed&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021

What a shambles, the phone lines are busy, that’s somehow the fault of the public? Anywhere else would put enough staff in place or setup a dedicated phone line.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

111 service over whelmed and this is the advice issued http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=62832&headline=Government advice as Covid 111 line overwhelmed&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021

What a shambles, the phone lines are busy, that’s somehow the fault of the public? Anywhere else would put enough staff in place or setup a dedicated phone line.

The public that are following the Government guidance. What did they expect? That's what happens when covid finds a completely unprotected society without any mitigations in place.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Personally I find them hopeless and expensive but accept I am in a minority.

No, you're not, although there are several Easy fanboys on this forum who see no problems with their sporadic service and stupid timings (into LGW) - but anyway, OT and back to the COVID fiasco.

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Absolutely.  I saw on FB yesterday people were asking how to volunteer for 111 as they were previously recruiting but the closing date had passed.   Now they have to recruit and train people at breakneck speed to get this under control.

How was this not foreseen? 

• Like 2

An option for visitors to do tests prior to travel to IOM would reduce the pressure somewhat. Residents could do arrival testing - as could visitors if they wish. Most visitors would probably choose to test prior to traveling to the island. I think it's important to allow residents to do arrival testing

Edited by snowman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I thought we'd done beta? Wasn't that the variant formally known as the South African one? 

There's nothing like a 'golden oldie' to cheer everyone up when things get a bit dull.  The SA variant was first spotted last October - but why let an old virus die when it's got all the potential for a new scare ready for Monday?

1 minute ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The public that are following the Government guidance. What did they expect? That's what happens when covid finds a completely unprotected society without any mitigations in place.

It was entirely predictable and yet somehow it comes as a surprise, I suppose if we don’t test then we won’t know the full extent of the spread.

Either don’t test or test properly, not this shambles.

1 minute ago, Utah 01 said:

There's nothing like a 'golden oldie' to cheer everyone up when things get a bit dull.  The SA variant was first spotted last October - but why let an old virus die when it's got all the potential for a new scare ready for Monday?

I think theres maybe concern that the mutation which makes the saffa variant such an astra zeneca buster may merge with the delta variant and cause a real pants wetter. Smear yourself in human excrement is my advice

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It was entirely predictable and yet somehow it comes as a surprise, I suppose if we don’t test then we won’t know the full extent of the spread.

Either don’t test or test properly, not this shambles.

Exactly. Preferably keep testing but stop triaging.