IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Absolutely.  I saw on FB yesterday people were asking how to volunteer for 111 as they were previously recruiting but the closing date had passed.   Now they have to recruit and train people at breakneck speed to get this under control.

How was this not foreseen? 

The government recruitment process leaves a lot to be desired anyway. If someone hands their notice in for any government role they won’t start the recruitment process until that employee has actually left, so it then takes another experienced operator out to train them, then there will be a minimum 4-6 week recruitment process to contend with.

Advertise closing date set 2 weeks into the future

Interview : interviews can’t take place until after closing date, set at least 1 week into the future to give people advance notice, Interviews are then held for 1 week.

Select chosen candidate : candidate may well be required to give notice if already employed so that will be a minimum of 1 week.

13 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I wonder if Howard getting infected in the first wave has skewed his view on this?

Howard has mentioned at several press briefings, including last Thursday's, that he is suffering from long covid. One very common symptom of long covid is brain fog, where one's ability to think clearly is diminished. So yes I'd assume his "view" is "skewed". 

His admission that he suffers from long covid leaves me baffled as to why he seems to have no concern about inflicting this problem on others. As the covid cases rise, so will the numbers of people affected by long covid.

It is mainly the younger, unvaxxed or incompletely vaxxed demographic currently being affected, and this is storing up not only future demand on the healthcare system, but also increasing the numbers on incapacity benefit and IS. For school children, it could be ruining their education.

The affected demographic is the future of the island and the government is treating them as disposable. 

Some people don't seem to give a shit that government is sleepwalking us into this situation. I fecking give a shit; I'm going to be angry beyond words if long covid ends up compromising the lives of the younger members of my family. Statistically there is that chance.

This fiasco was foreseeable and preventable. It's unforgivable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zarley said:

This fiasco was foreseeable and preventable. It's unforgivable. 

I think the keyword there is ‘was’ it was preventable. Unfortunately it’s been a case of sit back and watch the chaos unfold, the number of close contacts in isolation, the businesses being forced to close due to staff isolating, 111 line being overwhelmed, the only thing we aren’t seeing yet is the hospital being overwhelmed, you’d think at the very least with their own staff in isolation we’d be starting to see some impact, but these were all things that was both predictable and preventable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Utah 01 said:

...which therefore begs the question as to why is he still in post- if true, of course.

I've thought it's a likely reason for him not running again, since the day he confirmed that he wasn't. After all, he seems convinced that the GMP love him and think he's doing a great job. 

19 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Howard has mentioned at several press briefings, including last Thursday's, that he is suffering from long covid. One very common symptom of long covid is brain fog, where one's ability to think clearly is diminished.

How, in the immortal words of Dorothy Parker, could they tell?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Not when there are so many gullible, accepting sheep like your good self.

When you’re having to call people names to validate your point, you’re probably on shaky ground with it. 

See my previous point to NDP, you cry conspiracy and control whilst communicating through an international network of pruned, primed and marketed data. Smart devices know when you eat, sleep, who you spend your time with, and even what gets you excited. Unless you really are a diehard, every internet connected device in your ownership runs proprietary firmware you simply can’t control. 

Algorithms win and lose elections, control what you see and guide what you feel like you’ve discovered organically, and where you spend your money. This is all hoovered up into private and government databases. 

Yet “they” need a pandemic and fear for control? Give over. 

• Like 4

Issues getting through to 111 are inexcusable and entirely predictable.  They had the same with vaccine appointments.

Most people shouldn’t be having to call 111 anyway, due to a new fangled thing called the internet.

Even if they do insist on making anyone call a decent workflow system and the ability to send 111 calls to any government employee (at work, or home.  111 staff have previously had to isolate ffs) is an absolute doddle to setup and would make the thing completely scaleable.

IOMg are the biggest employer on the island for gods sake.  Just re assign some of your thousands of staff temporarily.  It can’t be hard (or shouldn’t be) to get someone up to speed in what is basically a simple call centre roll.

Pathetic

13 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Issues getting through to 111 are inexcusable and entirely predictable.  They had the same with vaccine appointments.

Most people shouldn’t be having to call 111 anyway, due to a new fangled thing called the internet.

Even if they do insist on making anyone call a decent workflow system and the ability to send 111 calls to any government employee (at work, or home.  111 staff have previously had to isolate ffs) is an absolute doddle to setup and would make the thing completely scaleable.

IOMg are the biggest employer on the island for gods sake.  Just re assign some of your thousands of staff temporarily.  It can’t be hard (or shouldn’t be) to get someone up to speed in what is basically a simple call centre roll.

Pathetic

You can now book on line, ( except for travel PCR ).

https://covid19.gov.im/about-coronavirus/symptoms-and-self-assessment/

( waits for it to break like the census )

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You can now book on line, ( except for travel PCR ).

https://covid19.gov.im/about-coronavirus/symptoms-and-self-assessment/

( waits for it to break like the census )

Also except for children under five. 

"The 111 line will remain open for those wishing to book travel-related tests, and tests for children under the age of five."

I'll give it until just after 4pm when today's numbers come out before it breaks. But I'm an optimist at heart. 

Edited to add Manx radio link:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/coronavirus-news/new-online-system-for-covid-test-requests/

Edited by Zarley

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Is there any truth to the rumour I have just made up that they have got Auldyn in to run 111?

Speaking of "truth to the rumour", I was told by someone who attended the event at the Nunnery last Sunday night, that a lad was arrested for going to it after they'd received a positive covid result. 

Anyone else hear that? I've not seen any coverage in the media about it.