IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or maybe that's exactly what they are doing.  Jersey now has about 2000 active cases and 99% in the community.  The other 1% are split between hospital and care homes.  I reckon there have been 472,855 case in the UK in the last 14 days (they don't give active cases) and they are showing 3,964 in hospital.  So we're looking at a hospitalisation rate of around 1 in a bit more than 100.  Better than about 1 in 50, which is what it was earlier in the year, but if you have twice as many cases the pressure will be the same.

But with or from?

Seriously the vast majority of people are past caring.

I was in a car yesterday with someone who apparently produced a positive lft this morning.

Couldn’t care less personally. I am sure there were loads of others in 1886 last night who would be positive if they were tested today.

I can’t get wound up about more people getting it and then some of them going to Nobles.  A year ago I could, but now we have done all we can do.  The quicker it rips through the quicker it will die out.

9 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Lockdown 4.0 isn't possible as the Government simply doesn't have the finance for it. But they have limited resources to deal with the shit hitting the fan (should that happen)

So a lockdown 3.1 SE possibly

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

I can’t get wound up about more people getting it and then some of them going to Nobles.  A year ago I could, but now we have done all we can do.  The quicker it rips through the quicker it will die out.

I think that's what South Africa thought the first time round...then came the beta variant, which had adapted to get past existing immunity.

11 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Lockdown 4.0 isn't possible as the Government simply doesn't have the finance for it. But they have limited resources to deal with the shit hitting the fan (should that happen)

The problem is, the Government don't seem to have the capability or flexibility to act whilst the shit starts to hit the fan. They wait until it's all over the walls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think that's what South Africa thought the first time round...then came the beta variant, which had adapted to get past existing immunity.

I didn’t realise they were nearly all vaccinated back then?

Interesting.  I will go away now and read up on how South Africa fell victim to another wave as a result of a new variant after vaccinating most of their population and educate myself.

Thanks for the heads up.  I am off to build a bunker.

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I didn’t realise they were nearly all vaccinated back then?

Interesting.  I will go away now and read up on how South Africa fell victim to another wave as a result of a new variant after vaccinating most of their population and educate myself.

Thanks for the heads up.  I am off to build a bunker.

There was much speculation at the start of the year that uncontrolled spread in South Africa had led to herd immunity against the dominant strain at the time.

In other words, enough people had been exposed such that it couldn't spread nearly as easily.

However, if you look at the mutations on the beta variant, they're associated with avoiding antibodies, and as a result, offer up vaccine resistance too. https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-variants.html

South Africa have now given up on herd immunity by 2022 and are hoping merely for containment.

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There was much speculation at the start of the year that uncontrolled spread in South Africa had led to herd immunity against the dominant strain at the time.

In other words, enough people had been exposed such that it couldn't spread nearly as easily.

However, if you look at the mutations on the beta variant, they're associated with avoiding antibodies, and as a result, offer up vaccine resistance too. https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-variants.html

South Africa have now given up on herd immunity by 2022 and are hoping merely for containment.

So they weren’t vaccinated?

So the comparison to what might happen here now is pointless?

Thought so.

Six weeks we will all be fine and back to normal and it won’t even make the news anymore.

Stop stressing about what might happen and enjoy the sun and all the visitors and events.  It’s a brilliant weekend to be on our little island.

Before anyone says why aren’t I out, I have another 28 minutes at work clock watching.

37 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Actually, they do have the finances for it, but not the time before dissolution of government. That is the problem. Leave the issue open for the next government to solve, rather than be given the blame in the future. Completely pathetic, in my opinion. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Thought so.

Six weeks we will all be fine and back to normal and it won’t even make the news anymore.

Stop stressing about what might happen and enjoy the sun and all the visitors and events.  It’s a brilliant weekend to be on our little island.

Before anyone says why aren’t I out, I have another 28 minutes at work clock watching.

Six weeks? Good luck. If we are back to normal by next spring for the tourism season, I will be surprised. 

That has nothing to do with the virus, though. It is the new government using the virus as an excuse to control society and thereby promote themselves as being good government. 

7 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Thought so.

Thought the pub's were open till midnight at the weekend😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Thought so.

So by your logic, herd immunity doesn't count, because it doesn't count? Makes sense. Whilst the immunity offered by catching COVID isn't quite as good as vaccination, vaccination isn't as good against Beta or Delta either.

We are at the mercy of other countries, and currently, our nearest neighbour is fostering the perfect environment for a strain to emerge, where it can go back into those who have been vaccinated. As has been happening with Delta.

I know of a number of people here and across that have caught COVID after both vaccinations, or actually caught COVID itself twice, despite vaccination. By all accounts, it doesn't get any more pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Actually, they do have the finances for it, but not the time before dissolution of government. That is the problem. Leave the issue open for the next government to solve, rather than be given the blame in the future. Completely pathetic, in my opinion. 

I don't think lockdowns are an answer, people are too tired of them for starters.

Fundamentally, the Gov't don't want to rock the boat before the election as you say.

20 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

So by your logic, herd immunity doesn't count, because it doesn't count? Makes sense. Whilst the immunity offered by catching COVID isn't quite as good as vaccination, vaccination isn't as good against Beta or Delta either.

We are at the mercy of other countries, and currently, our nearest neighbour is fostering the perfect environment for a strain to emerge, where it can go back into those who have been vaccinated. As has been happening with Delta.

I know of a number of people here and across that have caught COVID after both vaccinations, or actually caught COVID itself twice, despite vaccination. By all accounts, it doesn't get any more pleasant.

The real life data from UK and Jersey gives me much more confidence than you obviously have.

6 weeks there will be no significant hospitalisation or deaths and the island will be over it.

In case anyone is wondering, LFT was done yesterday evening with a positive result. PCR test scheduled for tomorrow. So far the rest of their household is testing negative and fingers crossed it stays that way. 

I've got to go get some shopping in for them as they're playing it safe, being socially responsible and staying home. They usually do a shop Sunday morning when the shops are a little quieter than other times over the weekend. 

• Like 2