IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Or maybe there was no interest in the bicycle race and they decided it wasn’t worth opening/keeping open.

Nahh, there was a sign outside saying it was Covid. Sorry, I didn't take a photo, but you'll have to take my word for it.

I went to some other pubs and they were either showing cricket (or something) or horse racing. 

So you are maybe partly right.

ETA

going off topic a bit but... I found a place that had the cycling on the big screen but they wouldn't turn the sound on.

Edited by Barlow

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have a horrible feeling the whole system is about to collapse - lengthy waiting times for a test, results now taking at least 24 hours, no real guidance for  2 + 2, hospital under pressure, presumably from staff in isolation, etc. 

It feels like it has gone in the "too hard" folder for some other schmuck to pick up. 

Well there must be a plan in place, the change to visitor hours for example has to have come from somewhere, it’s unusual for this sort of thing to be announced on a Sunday which suggests it was already in place, it was just a case of hitting the trigger point.

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Nahh, there was a sign outside saying it was Covid. Sorry, I didn't take a photo, but you'll have to take my word for it.

I went to some other pubs and they were either showing cricket (or something) or horse racing. 

So you are maybe partly right.

ETA

going off topic a bit but... I found a place that had the cycling on the big screen but they wouldn't turn the sound on.

I will take your word for it. Presumably the other place had the vision on. 
(Takes me back to Tony Hart et al)

15 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well there must be a plan in place, the change to visitor hours for example has to have come from somewhere, it’s unusual for this sort of thing to be announced on a Sunday which suggests it was already in place, it was just a case of hitting the trigger point.

I would like to think you are right, but it is possible, or probable, that the hospital management retains some autonomy over visiting arrangements to protect the patients and staff. 

Is track and trace working? 

Someone in my household  has had a positive result by email this afternoon and was told to expect a call.  No call yet and although I am 2+2 and the guidance seems to be crack on and do a LFT every day, I am not comfortable with doing just that.  How do I get the LFTs without something identifying me as a close contact and without going into a chemist?

Not too concerned about my own health, but doing something which puts others at risk. 

22 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I will take your word for it. Presumably the other place had the vision on. 
(Takes me back to Tony Hart et al)

Anyone who knows the bloke who runs the Pigeon knows he'd never close without good reason, particularly on the weekend. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I would like to think you are right, but it is possible, or probable, that the hospital management retains some autonomy over visiting arrangements to protect the patients and staff. 

Someone in my household  has had a positive result by email this afternoon and was told to expect a call.  No call yet and although I am 2+2 and the guidance seems to be crack on and do a LFT every day, I am not comfortable with doing just that.  How do I get the LFTs without something identifying me as a close contact and without going into a chemist?

Not too concerned about my own health, but doing something which puts others at risk. 

It seems to be hit and miss. A family member was able to obtain four sets of the seven day kits just by explaining the situation. I've been hearing reports of others being refused even one set, despite being a close contact, because they had yet to receive official notice. 

Don't think you can get them without going into a chemist. 

Edited by Zarley
Screwy wording fixed
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Anyone who knows the bloke who runs the Pigeon knows he'd never close without good reason, particularly on the weekend. 

The Pigeon was one of the first to close before the Government got its act together for the  2nd (3rd?) lockdown.

That same weekend, what became of the Laxey pub that didn't bother to close because they didn't have to and had a crowded pub that turned out to be a source of Covid infections?

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

I've no interest in false rumours, but when Government can't workout 698-465, I'm going to doubt their ability to keep us updated. 

It's quite clearly an attempt to mislead and minimise the scope of the outbreak.  You could accept a cock-up followed by an apology and correction, but this has happened several days in a row now.

What really annoys me is that media seemed incapable of picking this up, never mind making a fuss about it.  IOM Newspapers just repeat what are clearly minimal press releases without question.  Manx Radio finally woke up to the problem today (possibly by reading MF), but how now revived their separate Coronavirus page and published the story only there.  As they did the story with the latest figures but even there they only say:

95 new cases of Covid-19 have been identified on the Isle of Man today.

[...] The total number of active cases on the Isle of Man, according to the government dashboard, now stands at 698 - a rise of more than 95 compared to yesterday’s figures.

But don't say just how much more - 233.  Quite a bit more than 95 we'd all agree.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

You crack on as normal unless you show symptoms.  If you get a call from 111 then you have the option to do LFTs .  Up to you.

People appear to be just cracking on, and if they show symptoms staying home but not bothering with the tests as far as my friends/colleagues/family go.

FB however seems to be full of people wanting tests when they don’t need them or qualify for one.  Strange.

Hope your household member is ok as are the rest of you .  Are you prepared to disclose if they have symptoms or just a track and trace case?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

You crack on as normal unless you show symptoms.  If you get a call from 111 then you have the option to do LFTs .  Up to you.

People appear to be just cracking on, and if they show symptoms staying home but not bothering with the tests as far as my friends/colleagues/family go.

FB however seems to be full of people wanting tests when they don’t need them or qualify for one.  Strange.

Hope your household member is ok as are the rest of you .  Are you prepared to disclose if they have symptoms or just a track and trace case?

Thank you. Symptomatic, very mild apart from the first couple of days, but with the telltale loss of taste and smell.  Apart rom an extended SI because of the time it took to get a test appointment, it now means that they can't have the second jab next week and have to wait 28 days before getting another appointment.  

It is clear what they have to do, we think, but not so clear what risk I am to others, so  just cracking on really doesn't feel right.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Thank you. Symptomatic, very mild apart from the first couple of days, but with the telltale loss of taste and smell.  Apart rom an extended SI because of the time it took to get a test appointment, it now means that they can't have the second jab next week and have to wait 28 days before getting another appointment.  

It is clear what they have to do, we think, but not so clear what risk I am to others, so  just cracking on really doesn't feel right.  

If Facebook is to be believed then 111 isn’t ringing close contacts any more, apparently it’s upto positive cases to let their close contacts know, personally I find that hard to believe. I think 111/track and trace is just so completely overwhelmed that there is probably a back log of close contacts. 233 cases within 24 hours, if everyone has 2 or 3 close contacts that is a hell of a lot of phone calls, certainly more than can be processed in one day by a small team.

As Zarley said if you’re a close contact then you should be allowed to pick up LFT tests from a chemist, some will be more difficult than others, If you’ve got the same surname as whoever in your household for example you could quite easily print off the confirmation email of their positive test and use that as evidence.

I too have very minor symptoms, not quite a total loss of taste/smell but it’s definitely changed, plus a sore throat. I would normally think it’s just hay fever to be honest but I normally experience itchy eyes which I don’t have. If I had access to a LFT then I would do one.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

In the UK 125,000 died with/of covid; rarely do the deaths with/of flu get up to 30,000. 

Covid is overwhelming the NHS in the way flu never has.

That was before we had a vaccine and it mopped up all the vulnerable rather more quickly than their existing conditions might have. Currently deaths are below average - presumably because of the increase last year.

In winter 2017/18 around 22,000 people died of flu - presumably most of the vulberable were vaccinated but they still died. That evens out to 60 people per day through a year. The NHS was overworked, as usual in the winter. Nobody batted an eyelid and the media didn’t bang on about it. 

If the vaccine isn’t going to solve this crisis the world is in bigger trouble than covid. Way bigger.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The Pigeon is closed. But it’s not surprising. Douglas was very quiet on Friday and Saturday night. The Manx rumour mill is effectively reducing trade across the board so Rob has done the sensible thing by publicly closing to open up next week after a deep clean. The Manx grapevine would have already known they had someone who had a positive result and they’d probably get little trade anyway as word spread.

And next weekend is pay weekend for a lot of people so take a hit on what would probably have been a quiet one anyway or risk losing out on probably the busiest weekend of the month

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

I think your last sentence sums it all up. We now need to transition back to individual responsibility if society is to have any hope of getting back to normal.

Everyone needs to take the precautions they deem fit for themselves and do their own risk assessments of how they want to live their life. Your health and wellbeing is your responsibilty, your neighbour isn't responsible for your health, so we now need to take a more mature approach to getting back to normal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3