IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, Danoo said:

I think your last sentence sums it all up. We now need to transition back to individual responsibility if society is to have any hope of getting back to normal.

Everyone needs to take the precautions they deem fit for themselves and do their own risk assessments of how they want to live their life. Your health and wellbeing is your responsibilty, your neighbour isn't responsible for your health, so we now need to take a more mature approach to getting back to normal. 

We also have to account for social responsibility. To exist in a society, there are concessions you make to be part of that. You could be quite readily argue that, as societies have grown, community mindedness has retreated.

Be that not making a racket after certain hours, or not driving yourself home after 6 pints at the pub in case you hit someone. 

If your neighbour had a bonfire and burnt your house down, funnily enough, they would be liable for the impact that they had on you. 

So, whilst individuals should be empowered to have their autonomy, that doesn’t discount their social responsibilities either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danoo said:

I think your last sentence sums it all up. We now need to transition back to individual responsibility if society is to have any hope of getting back to normal.

Everyone needs to take the precautions they deem fit for themselves and do their own risk assessments of how they want to live their life. Your health and wellbeing is your responsibilty, your neighbour isn't responsible for your health, so we now need to take a more mature approach to getting back to normal. 

I kind of agree, except that while my health is not their responsibility nor theirs mine,  I believe it is everyone's responsibility to take reasonable measures to keep any infection to themselves.  Much like it has never been acceptable to cough in someone's face, just manners and being responsible in your own conduct. 

Edited by Gladys
Crap grammar
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Danoo said:

You can't do an accurate risk assessment when your work colleague knows or even suspects they have covid but doesn't bother to tell you despite working right next to you. Sure, you could wear a mask just in case, but if the person who has covid isn't wearing one as well, you're still at risk. 

A more mature approach means being socially responsible and doing your best to ensure your covid infection stops with you. Pretending you have no responsibility to others where covid is concerned is immature and selfish.

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 3

Morning folks,

Latest report from the MF Fume Meter.

Forecast suggesting building to an extreme tirade against CoMin by Monday week.

Buckle up for some hard & fast action princesses.

641B7783-06C9-47D6-B19B-8505AC4A9BF7.png

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I kind of agree, except that while my health is not my responsibility nor theirs mine,  I believe it is everyone's responsibility to take reasonable measures to keep any infection to themselves.  Much like it has never been acceptable to cough in someone's face, just manners and being responsible in your own conduct. 

But that's the point. Your health is YOUR responsibility and no-one else's.

We can't exist as a society if we look at everyone else as a walking biohazard, that's a path to destroying any community we have left. The vaccines don't eradicate infection or transmission so we have to make individual choices on how we want to live our life. 

Previously if we had a heavy cold or flu we would naturally stay away from close contact with others, we just need to maintain the same level of caution moving forwards. 

Hopefully this will make people become more responsible for their own level of health as ultimately the functioning of your immune system will be the determining factor in how you fare throughout this. Not how much you avoid other people.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zarley said:

You can't do an accurate risk assessment when your work colleague knows or even suspects they have covid but doesn't bother to tell you despite working right next to you. Sure, you could wear a mask just in case, but if the person who has covid isn't wearing one as well, you're still at risk. 

A more mature approach means being socially responsible and doing your best to ensure your covid infection stops with you. Pretending you have no responsibility to others where covid is concerned is immature and selfish.

No-one is suggesting you have no responsibility to others. Social responsibility starts with individual responsibility.

You can't assume every work colleague is secretly harbouring symptoms and not telling you. That's bonkers. If you were that way inclined you'd never leave the house and you may as well turn the lights out on life now.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Morning folks,

Latest report from the MF Fume Meter.

Forecast suggesting building to an extreme tirade against CoMin by Monday week.

Buckle up for some hard & fast action princesses.

641B7783-06C9-47D6-B19B-8505AC4A9BF7.png

It's much worse on twitter, where people who'd really like to just get on with their lives are apparently 'scum'

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Danoo said:

You can't assume every work colleague is secretly harbouring symptoms and not telling you. That's bonkers. If you were that way inclined you'd never leave the house and you may as well turn the lights out on life now.  

Well exactly. I don't want to assume everyone is a closet biohazard. That's why people need to be socially responsible and not go out and about when they're quite possibly shedding covid and not telling anyone.

But it's pretty obvious* that there are people who should be testing but won't, or have had a positive LFT with no symptoms so won't book a PCR or isolate, and aren't telling anyone while going on with their lives as normal because "your health isn't my responsibility". It's these people who are being selfish.

*I think it's obvious anyway. I know both first and second hand of people doing these things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Well exactly. I don't want to assume everyone is a closet biohazard. That's why people need to be socially responsible and not go out and about when they're quite possibly shedding covid and not telling anyone.

But it's pretty obvious* that there are people who should be testing but won't, or have had a positive LFT with no symptoms so won't book a PCR or isolate, and aren't telling anyone while going on with their lives as normal because "your health isn't my responsibility". It's these people who are being selfish.

*I think it's obvious anyway. I know both first and second hand of people doing these things.

But this is an issue you need to come to terms with in your own head otherwise it will drive you mad. Continue to practice sound individual and social responsibility, do your own risk assessments of how you would like to live your life and carry on. There really is no other way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Danoo said:

No-one is suggesting you have no responsibility to others. 

But you just did exactly that:

30 minutes ago, Danoo said:

But that's the point. Your health is YOUR responsibility and no-one else's.

If it's my responsibility and no one else's, that rather implies I have no responsibility to anyone but myself.   

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zarley said:

There are of course also lots of people who have it.  Don’t know they have it. Will never know they had it.

If someone is worried about catching it they really need to be assuming everyone they see is a positive case, because they might be hiding it from you or they just might not know.

The rest of us should be left to carry on as we see fit.  It really is personal responsibility.  If you are worried about catching it it is your responsibility to do all you can to avoid it.  Not other peoples. To stay away from you.

Out and about so far this morning and has a couple of meetings.  One bloke was masked up which is all good.  Everyone else was basically implementing social distancing where possible without anyone needing to say anything and no government directive.  All taking personal responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zarley said:

But you just did exactly that:

If it's my responsibility and no one else's, that rather implies I have no responsibility to anyone but myself.   

No it means I cannot influence what anyone else does with their own life and what decisions they take. I have no dominion over anyone else outside of my family so I just need to just take ownership of my own decisions and carry on regardless.

MR news.

Differences in new cases and active cases due to “manual tallying” 

“Solutions are currently being investigated”

It’s incredibly simple ffs.  

yesterday + Today - recovered =

Why make it out to need investigation and solutions? Just apologise and say it won’t happen again.

I couldn’t care less by the way, but if you are going to report very simple data at least do it right.