IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Does that actually happen though?  Clearly there will be some, but a lot of the more serious cases get flown off-Island nowadays.  I've always got the impression that the closing down of a lot of routine hospital work over those periods was more because they built the Hospital in a bloody silly place.

(And of course a lot of people do complain about it).

believe me it does, probably quicker than with flu.

1 minute ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Where have you seen that?

Good old gef. 

Speaker Juan Watterson, in his role as deputy President, has announced that the final scheduled Tynwald sitting of the Quayle administration will sit remotely.

Mr Watterson said: ‘I have received strong representations from Members about the current risks of sitting in the Chamber, given that some Members’ families are affected by COVID-19, others are not double vaccinated or have other personal health concerns.

‘In addition to the specific concerns relating to certain Members there is general concern about the ventilation in the Chamber and the possibility of cross-infection of Members. The Clerk and I have taken the advice of Public Health, whose advice of ‘hands, face, space’ will be almost impossible to achieve.

‘Members will also appreciate that at present, a hybrid Tynwald is not a technical possibility given the numbers that seek to use it. This is a key consideration in limiting individual choice and preserving the ability of all Members to be able to participate in this crucial sitting.

‘Accordingly, I have decided that tomorrow’s sitting shall be convened virtually, subject of course to Tynwald’s agreement to suspend Standing Orders. I have consulted the other candidate for President of Tynwald in order to ensure that we agree on the strategy to be adopted. We are both in agreement about taking this measure. I can assure you that this is not a decision that has been made lightly.

‘I am aware that we will all be aware of the public perception of this issue, and that views will be mixed. I hope that Members will appreciate the courtesy that this move affords those Members who may not otherwise be able to attend. It also extends that consideration to those people whose doors will be visited over the coming days after the sitting.’

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Where were these experts (the ones that keep getting re-tweeted and popping up saying how terrible it's going to be) when we had the last flu outbreak in 2018? https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/18/flu-outbreak-gps-under-huge-pressure-as-deaths-soar-to-120

Why are they not concerned about current levels of flu and pneumonia?

The past 18 months have been like a dream come true for these kinds of people. This is probably the single most exciting thing to happen to them in their lifetimes and they don't want to to go back to a mundane life again. Like prisoners who can't adjust to life on the outside and yearn to go back in, they have got so used to this now and they're quite prepared to fight to keep it going as long as possible. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Good old gef. 

Speaker Juan Watterson, in his role as deputy President, has announced that the final scheduled Tynwald sitting of the Quayle administration will sit remotely.

Mr Watterson said: ‘I have received strong representations from Members about the current risks of sitting in the Chamber, given that some Members’ families are affected by COVID-19, others are not double vaccinated or have other personal health concerns.

‘In addition to the specific concerns relating to certain Members there is general concern about the ventilation in the Chamber and the possibility of cross-infection of Members. The Clerk and I have taken the advice of Public Health, whose advice of ‘hands, face, space’ will be almost impossible to achieve.

‘Members will also appreciate that at present, a hybrid Tynwald is not a technical possibility given the numbers that seek to use it. This is a key consideration in limiting individual choice and preserving the ability of all Members to be able to participate in this crucial sitting.

‘Accordingly, I have decided that tomorrow’s sitting shall be convened virtually, subject of course to Tynwald’s agreement to suspend Standing Orders. I have consulted the other candidate for President of Tynwald in order to ensure that we agree on the strategy to be adopted. We are both in agreement about taking this measure. I can assure you that this is not a decision that has been made lightly.

‘I am aware that we will all be aware of the public perception of this issue, and that views will be mixed. I hope that Members will appreciate the courtesy that this move affords those Members who may not otherwise be able to attend. It also extends that consideration to those people whose doors will be visited over the coming days after the sitting.’

Well that is utterly fucking ridiculous. Do as we say not as we do. I'll remember that when they darken my doorstep.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Well that is utterly fucking ridiculous. Do as we say not as we do. I'll remember that when they darken my doorstep.

Got to agree.  Sends out completely the wrong message when other people are cracking on in cramped offices, kitchens, shared work vans etc.

I don’t see any of those things as an issue, but tynwald saying they will meet remotely is a massive PR fail. Again

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It simply makes no sense as an explanation.  It doesn't surprise me that they have set up a separate system to do the Dashboard rather than plug into an existing one, because making things more complicated is what they do and the Manx NHS never saw a system that it didn't want to pointlessly duplicate.  And anyone looking at the figures in detail was aware that no cross-checking was done even when numbers were low.

But the differences here were always so ridiculously out of line that even the most cursory look at the figures should throw up warning indicators.  Several of us on MF picked this up as long ago as Wednesday, but none of the civil service super-brains   apparently noticed, even when the discrepancy was in three figures.  Either these people are incredibly stupid or they think everyone else is.  Probably both.

Exactly the same today 893 - 698 = 195. 

B41609CC-26A1-41DB-9046-2DAAF173307D.png

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Good old gef. 

An absolute disgrace. If they reduce the number of MHK's by 50% that would help. MLC's should be abolished.

Come election time are they going to not go around canvassing (if some actually do).

Expect some new multi million  pound chamber to be proposed soon with plenty of ventilation.

16 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It’s even further out than that actually as several have recovered and not active anymore yesterday’s total positive cases was 1876. So 2114 - 1876 = 238.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

And faithfully reported as 127 by Manx Radio, despite them querying it yesterday.

The number of new cases is actually 2114 - 1876 = 238, so there must have been some recoveries.

The number in Hospital is implausible for that number of active cases as well.  Based on other countries 5 or 6 would be what you'd expect.  Malta for example (which is also highly vaccinated) has 18 in hospital from 1963 active cases.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

An absolute disgrace. If they reduce the number of MHK's by 50% that would help. MLC's should be abolished.

Come election time are they going to not go around canvassing (if some actually do).

Expect some new multi million  pound chamber to be proposed soon with plenty of ventilation.

they have one of those already ,in case you didn't know its Called TYNWALD HILL  plenty of ventilation and wind down there 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And faithfully reported as 127 by Manx Radio, despite them querying it yesterday.

The number of new cases is actually 2114 - 1876 = 238, so there must have been some recoveries.

The number in Hospital is implausible for that number of active cases as well.  Based on other countries 5 or 6 would be what you'd expect.  Malta for example (which is also highly vaccinated) has 18 in hospital from 1963 active cases.

Completely different testing regime in Malta and they probably identify less cases.

As we will when people get their head around only testing people with symptoms and stop actively clamouring for tests when there is nothing wrong with them.

Edited by Ramseyboi