IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

With regard to UK hospital admissions I feel a bit of context is required.  The numbers seem high but are they?

In July 2019 there were 576,000 unplanned (i.e. not elective operations, so these people were admitted with heart attacks, strokes, chest infections etc) hospital admissions in England, so about 18500 per day.  Currently there are about 600 covid admissions per day in the UK, which is predominantly England but a slightly bigger base.  That's about 3% of the total.  We're not distinguishing between 'admitted with' and 'admitted because of' here.  Given the known prevalence of test positive covid is in the region of 1%, it's not entirely surprising if of the expected 18000+ daily admissions a few hundred test positive for covid.

The cases are growing, but does it matter (on a population, not individual level) if not many are really ill with it? Discuss.

Exactly. It would be nice to see an official clear communication pointing out the above, which most people are able to see for themselves.

Unfortunately SM is still full of people proclaiming the hospital will be full in a few weeks.  They might be right, but it won’t be people struggling to breathe because they have contracted COVID

11 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It's people who are vaccinated or who have already had covid that make up most of the positive tests now.  The vast majority of whom are not getting (very) ill.

But at some point it has to just fizzle out???

Edited by Andy Onchan

27 minutes ago, wrighty said:

With regard to UK hospital admissions I feel a bit of context is required.  The numbers seem high but are they?

In July 2019 there were 576,000 unplanned (i.e. not elective operations, so these people were admitted with heart attacks, strokes, chest infections etc) hospital admissions in England, so about 18500 per day.  Currently there are about 600 covid admissions per day in the UK, which is predominantly England but a slightly bigger base.  That's about 3% of the total.  We're not distinguishing between 'admitted with' and 'admitted because of' here.  Given the known prevalence of test positive covid is in the region of 1%, it's not entirely surprising if of the expected 18000+ daily admissions a few hundred test positive for covid.

The cases are growing, but does it matter (on a population, not individual level) if not many are really ill with it? Discuss.

How much faith would you put in the claims that hospitals are already struggling with the summer demand, and allegedly a lot more than usual? 

Are you seeing any impacts on patient care across the water?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nhs-emergency-operations-sickness-b1886795.html

3 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

How much faith would you put in the claims that hospitals are already struggling with the summer demand, and allegedly a lot more than usual? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nhs-emergency-operations-sickness-b1886795.html

How much if the overload is backlogged stuff from previous lockdowns that people are now attending A&E with because they can't get help any other way? 

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think it will/has. If we weren’t testing everyone the current number of admissions would probably not be noticed. 

Quite so.

The thing that has staggered me are the numbers being admitted to hospital for and dying from Influenza/pneumonia (in England & Wales at least) and are being totally ignored by the media. 

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Hospitals struggle all the time. Add in lack of staff due to isolation rules and covid fatigue, and a genuine heatwave induced summer crisis and this is where we are. Covid is only indirectly responsible. 

I’m off work today - operating list cancelled due to lack of suitable beds. Nothing to do with covid cases - it’s all (probably) little old ladies collapsing in the heat as they don’t drink enough while still taking their diuretics and anti-hypertensives, giving them low blood pressure and impaired renal function. Most people I know are feeling a bit weak - imagine how it is if you’re frail and physiologically balanced on a knife-edge at the best of times. 

(For the avoidance of doubt - I booked today as annual leave out of my entitlement, rather than being another example of a gov worker taking the mickey)

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Zarley said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/covid-cases-found-in-douglas-residential-home/

It doesn't say if it's staff, residents, or both who have tested positive, but I hope if that it's residents they're 2+2 and don't end up seriously ill. 

A proper test drive for the vaccine efficacy. I don’t mean that to be flippant. Hopefully if nothing happens it’ll increase everyone’s confidence that we can just get on with this. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

A proper test drive for the vaccine efficacy. I don’t mean that to be flippant. Hopefully if nothing happens it’ll increase everyone’s confidence that we can just get on with this. 

I know a positive case here who without the vaccine would not be facing good odds. 

They have described it as being like a bad cold having caught it double jabbed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

(For the avoidance of doubt - I booked today as annual leave out of my entitlement, rather than being another example of a gov worker taking the mickey)

Christ almighty, that's one day down, how many left? 235?

11 minutes ago, Zarley said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/covid-cases-found-in-douglas-residential-home/

It doesn't say if it's staff, residents, or both who have tested positive, but I hope if that it's residents they're 2+2 and don't end up seriously ill. 

Pretty sure our Overlords have told us that ALL care home residents on the Isle of Man are well double jabbed now?

Therefore, I decided to give good old Doris a bell. She's informed me that residents of the home have already prepared their sweepstakes for the inevitable onslaught. Bookies have it 30/1 for a Pfizer recipient to go first. 

O N L Y   T I M E   W I L L   T E L L. 

WILL THERE BE BLOOD ON THE HANDS OF COMIN?

WHO WILL TAKE THE £23,000 GRAND SWEEPSTAKE PRIZE (grand savings of the resident's state pensions) AND BE THE LAST ONE STANDING?

O N L Y   T I M E   W I L L   T E L L. 

41 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m reasonably happy with the situation as it is in terms of little need for enforced isolation. But it’s clear that none of the idiots within government planned for any of this at all which presumably is what they’re actually paid for. It’s just taken a friend 4 days to get hold of a lateral flow test after trying almost every pharmacy in the IOM. Just so one of his kids (who has been ill since the weekend) can get tested. Now it’s several days wait for a PCR so actually if you’re trying to be responsible self isolation still exists even if you end up negative after a week of pissing about with a broken system where not one person seems to know what’s going on.

As I told him on Monday I really wouldn’t be bothered trying to be responsible at all as the system is broken and even government has given up pretending it can cope. 

I kind of feel the same.  As a close contact, I cannot get any LFTs.  It is voluntary and in the absence of symptoms, I am not sure it is worth it.  I am limiting trips outside, am masked and washing my hands.  Not sure if there is much more to do.

But, yes, I think the system is broken.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I kind of feel the same.  As a close contact, I cannot get any LFTs.  It is voluntary and in the absence of symptoms, I am not sure it is worth it.  I am limiting trips outside, am masked and washing my hands.  Not sure if there is much more to do.

But, yes, I think the system is broken.

Realistically unless you're in a bunker the whole population are close contacts.

• Like 1