IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I tend to look at the "Cases by specimen date" of the data set. It's a couple of days behind the "Cases by date reported" but I believe it presents a more accurate picture. You'll see the difference when you look at the graphs. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?_ga=2.242591809.2120377948.1626884701-1326513770.1626884701

The weekly rises give a more accurate view as it tends to flatten daily spikes. When they start to drop then this wave will have peaked.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The antibody numbers across UK are looking good, taken in the round with all the other data (cases look as though they're on the way down): 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/datasets/coronaviruscovid19antibodydatafortheuk

Isn't that an exercise that we stopped last year?

Bit off immediate topic sorry about that, but I took the standard SEIR model of infectious disease (what UK SAGE, Prof Ferguson et al use) and calibrated it against the ongoing IoM Natural Wave here on the IoM. You get some big numbers, like 1,573 cases on 6th August and by 24th Aug 22 Nobles bed occupied (did not consider deaths or Long COVID in model). People really need to be aware what is coming and 2+2s particularly high risk groups should do whatever the can to not become infected. The critical period is over the next 4 weeks. I posted in effect a narrative of the model onto a web page at:

https://sites.google.com/webcabcomponents.com/seir-model-of-iom-natural-wave/home?authuser=0

and also to twitter at:

Got any question or queries happy to do my best to answer them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This data for England is quite telling as far as I'm concerned..

1626470817555.jpg

Paste of the commentary which accompanied this data, which is also very telling. Produced by Suzanne Lugthart, a research & insights expert for ITV, eBay and Rightmove.

1. First thing to note is that there weren't 50,000 positive tests today: what's reported covers a spread of dates. Note also "positive tests". A "case" is something altogether different clinically

2. The last time there were 50,000 positive tests by specimen date, on January 11th, there were 1129 deaths reported

3. The mean average number of deaths for each day when cases exceeded 50,000 (10 of them) was 845

4. Latest data for 14th July reports 44,000 cases and 22 deaths - this will change a little over the coming days.

5. 22 deaths isn't far off the average number of suicides per day (2019 figures, we can only pray lockdowns haven't made that worse). The difference of course is that the average age of a suicide victim isn't 82. You won't hear about those on the BBC (or other media outlets)

6. Around 20 times that number will have died of cancer today, but you won't hear that on the BBC either

The link between cases and deaths is truly broken. We need to stop testing and stop reporting cases. They are a total irrelevance and doing nothing more than fuel the hysteria

Edited by NoTailT

So, just looking through the modelling approach from Ben, I think you are splitting out the population of the unvaccinated (Kids) from the vaccinated but then using R based on an unvaccinated population.  I'm not quite sure how you set R0 (key unknown in these sort of models), is it the original R0?

In simple terms it feels a bit as though the model is taking all the kids to the Calf of Man and then giving them Covid 1.0.

Issues with this:

1.  R0 is based on the population having no immunity, in this case 64k+5k should be immune, reducing the changes greatly of finding someone to pass it on to.  This should reduce the R0 in the model starting conditions.

2.  R0 for delta is much higher (maybe 6?) but I think the net effect (combined with 1) is probably something like 1.5 - similar to the R0 in the UK.  The UK has more masks but less immunisation and is also much more densely populated - e.g. the tube.

3.  Very few kids are getting covid - see stats below

As an FYI, when I first heard about 2+2 in June I thought it was madness as vaccinated can carry.  I still think it was a bad idea and they should have waited a month to allow under 30s to be vaccinated.

Having looked at the vaccination stats and current infection stats I think it might be ok to badish (rather than the terrible forecast above).  The kids dont seem to be getting it (the population in the model above) and about to go on summer holidays, the 15-30s are getting it, but as they have had a first mostly had at least one jab, they will have antibodies of some level and not end up in hospital - this is supported by the low number of hospital cases at the moment (though there is a 2 week lag on this).

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/covid-19-vaccination-statistics/

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

image.thumb.png.8108c802b739f028437ef3dda5517eb4.png

image.png.6cfec0351793173f2f752ca48b7d3ce0.png

Edited by iom_dave
remove duplicate image
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iom_dave said:

So, just looking through the modelling approach from Ben, I think you are splitting out the population of the unvaccinated (Kids) from the vaccinated but then using R based on an unvaccinated population.  I'm not quite sure how you set R0 (key unknown in these sort of models), is it the original R0?

Regarding R, with regard to SEIR the useful concept is what I call 'effective R' deflecting both the organic properties of the virus, AND aspects effecting it ability to passed between host such as:

i) Topological properties of the social network

ii) Behaviour risk averse dynamics

I got this query and few times and wrote up a general overview at:

https://sites.google.com/webcabcomponents.com/seir-model-of-iom-natural-wave/home/effective-r-herd-immunity-and-seir-model?authuser=0

Which I think address (1), (2); with regard to (3) this in nothing to do with model and our local expert on testing Dr Rachel Glover @rachomics who posted plenty material here. My personal view (I have zero training in this area) if ~50% with no have symptoms and ~50% with symptoms will not get a PCR test. So I would start with a multiplier of x4 on PCR test results (if you believe them at all). Personal in terms of benchmarking model (say) I would take hospitalization data for children and put 400x multiplier (4x multiplier of 1% hospitalization rate, see below) at that the reserve out the likely number of real cases.

Scottish COVID data for 2-17-year-old’s states:

Cases (15/3/20-13/6/21): 27,323
Hospitalizations (18/3/20-16/6/21): 287.9
Hospitalization rate: 1.05% 

As I mentioned in the articles, the situation is far from ideal and I agree that keeping borders closed to at least 23rd July when schools broke up would have be preferable. Personally, I was hoped the state could start vaccinating under 18s, but that option sadly does not appear to be an option at present. We are were we are, and to stop present not good situation getting real bad, it is critical that 2+2 high risk groups are not infected. You are right they are not in the model, but I assumed such chaps would shield during this period. I can model alternative scenarios, but if you start seeing spillage from COVID+ kids into top 6 vaccination groups the situation gets real bad real fast.

[p.s. My plan was not to put the fear of God into people]. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

https://gef.im/2021/07/21/chief-minister-feels-unsafe-with-manx-radio/

It's all a bit sir alex ferguson if you ask me. I'm not sure who that leaves to do the interviews. Is the voice of reason setting up his own youtube channel?

They should empty chair him, would make his badly read speeches more bearable.

Edited by MadAsHell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1