IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Good afternoon everyone fastyr mie. I’ve always said that our Island would be following Manx solutions for Manx problems. Throughout the pandemic, we’ve needed fast, decisive and clear action to tackle outbreaks of COVID-19 on our shores. 

With the Council of Ministers, we have decided the time is right to go back to our roots. With this, we are moving into the Traa Dy Liooar phase of our pandemic response. A true Manx solution, where we can take our time, and still beam my face onto thousands of screens.

We won’t be taking questions from the media today, we don’t like Manx Radio, they were mean to me, and I don’t want to give the rest of them a chance. 

Thank you, stay safe and good evening. 

English solutions for Manx problems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Perhaps you missed my explanation.  The arbitrary definition of what constitutes 'hot' or 'warm' is irrelevant. Just because the temperature hasn't reached the heights of 31 doesn't mean the relative heat doesn't have an effect.

If your normal, best physiological state is 'on the edge', due to age, frailty, chronic medical conditions, polypharmacy etc, and there are plenty of people like that around, then the slightest thing - higher than average temperature combined with a bit of dehydration for example - is enough to tip you over that edge.  Once in hospital, many people such as this become difficult to discharge since the criteria required to discharge someone safely are more stringent than many people live with day to day.  We see this all the time with people admitted with relatively minor problems who can't be discharged afterwards because their mobility is poor, or they struggle with stairs, or have been existing on a sub-standard diet, or fall over all the time because they drink too much etc. etc. 

Thank you for your explanation. I have indeed missed your previous post on this subject, sorry.

I certainly understand that very vulnerable people can be negatively impacted by even small changes from their usual environment. This is one of the reasons why I believe that climate change/global warming is a real threat to human existence, and that it is already hitting weakest and vulnerable people.

My issue is that both articles (MR and IOM Today) have stated that there is a rise in people attending A&E without giving an explanation as to why this is occurring. If the warmer weather is the main reason, then presumably the even hotter weather will increase the number of people presenting at A&E, only to be subsequently hospitalised. It is all very well for Manx Care to put something out on Tweeter, but these articles should have made specific reference to people experiencing health issues because the recent warmer weather, hence alerting the general public to take precautions. Just to say that more people are attending A&E and not saying why is a bit irresponsible on the part of our media organisations, IMHO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, code99 said:

Thank you for your explanation. I have indeed missed your previous post on this subject, sorry.

I certainly understand that very vulnerable people can be negatively impacted by even small changes from their usual environment. This is one of the reasons why I believe that climate change/global warming is a real threat to human existence, and that it is already hitting weakest and vulnerable people.

My issue is that both articles (MR and IOM Today) have stated that there is a rise in people attending A&E without giving an explanation as to why this is occurring. If the warmer weather is the main reason, then presumably the even hotter weather will increase the number of people presenting at A&E, only to be subsequently hospitalised. It is all very well for Manx Care to put something out on Tweeter, but these articles should have made specific reference to people experiencing health issues because the recent warmer weather, hence alerting the general public to take precautions. Just to say that more people are attending A&E and not saying why is a bit irresponsible on the part of our media organisations, IMHO. 

You actually believe media organisations have acted responsibly & reported factually correct information throughout this entire nonsense?

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It's not exactly a major campaign is it?  A couple of vague tweets on an account with 568 followers, most of whom probably work for Manx Care.  And there's nothing to link the weather with increased admissions that would follow it.  Instead everyone is farting about with these pointless LFT tests as if they were some sort of magic amulet to drive Covid away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Serous question:

What measures / restrictions would you empower over your people from 5.15pm today if you were Chief Minister?

I don’t strictly think that imposing is the way to go. 

If I was CM, the first thing I’d be doing would be coming on stage in a face mask. It sets the scene, and it sets an example of being prudent. 

I would change the messaging from personal choice, to strongly suggesting face masks where you’re mixing with strangers and respecting distance in essential shops and so on. Living with it doesn’t have to equal pretending it isn’t there. 

I would be heavily encouraging ventilation, even considering financial support for businesses who want to improve it. Especially before we move back into winter. 

Personally, I love to see how many people are out in the parks and on the beaches, the sunshine will be doing them wonders and the risk is magnitudes lower. I’d definitely be encouraging more of that whilst the weather holds. Don’t leave Granny and Grandad locked up, spend time in the garden, beer garden, beaches, outdoor seating at restaurants etc. 

I would probably add in a message about personal responsibility extends to those around you, and doing your best for the Island. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

If I was CM, the first thing I’d be doing would be coming on stage in a face mask. It sets the scene, and it sets an example of being prudent. 

I would change the messaging from personal choice, to strongly suggesting face masks where you’re mixing with strangers and respecting distance in essential shops and so on. Living with it doesn’t have to equal pretending it isn’t there. 

I would be heavily encouraging ventilation, even considering financial support for businesses who want to improve it. Especially before we move back into winter. 

Personally, I love to see how many people are out in the parks and on the beaches, the sunshine will be doing them wonders and the risk is magnitudes lower. I’d definitely be encouraging more of that whilst the weather holds. Don’t leave Granny and Grandad locked up, spend time in the garden, beer garden, beaches, outdoor seating at restaurants etc. 

I would probably add in a message about personal responsibility extends to those around you, and doing your best for the Island. 

Believe it or not, I would echo & endorse all of that.

The pariahs on Manx Twitter do some proper whining about just about every decision CoMin has ever taken (apart from when we were all locked up in our homes & allowed out to shop) but offer up fuck all in terms of what should be done.

Some bad, bad glass half empty bellends there mind you.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not exactly a major campaign is it?  A couple of vague tweets on an account with 568 followers, most of whom probably work for Manx Care.  And there's nothing to link the weather with increased admissions that would follow it.  Instead everyone is farting about with these pointless LFT tests as if they were some sort of magic amulet to drive Covid away.

Why do people need to be told to take precautions in hot weather? Surely it's common sense?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I certainly wouldn't argue with that.

Regarding masks, I've never been a great fan in general, but accept they can help to reduce spread and are helpful when the overall prevalence is high.  My recommendations would be:

Essential shops, pharmacies, public transport, healthcare facilities - masks to be worn

Non-essential shops, cafes, restaurants - up to local management, consider masks when not sat at table

pubs, clubs - masks don't really work in these places, so management to consider how best to keep staff healthy, customers encouraged to wash hands etc.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I certainly wouldn't argue with that.

Regarding masks, I've never been a great fan in general, but accept they can help to reduce spread and are helpful when the overall prevalence is high.  My recommendations would be:

Essential shops, pharmacies, public transport, healthcare facilities - masks to be worn

Non-essential shops, cafes, restaurants - up to local management, consider masks when not sat at table

pubs, clubs - masks don't really work in these places, so management to consider how best to keep staff healthy, customers encouraged to wash hands etc.

I do agree with you that masks (especially the ones I see) are unlikely to be much deterrent to the airflow of your average- joe airborne particle, they do make people take notice. I note that in the supermarket people tend to give mask clad shoppers a wider berth and that alone is a benefit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I do agree with you that masks (especially the ones I see) are unlikely to be much deterrent to the airflow of your average- joe airborne particle, they do make people take notice. I note that in the supermarket people tend to give mask clad shoppers a wider berth and that alone is a benefit.

I think that's exactly it, it's a clear signal that you are being cautious, or at least, risk-aware. If you've got the vast majority doing it, people will be inclined to just be that bit more prudent about risks.

What we do need is to get people out of the habit of fiddling with them though. Makes me twitch in Tesco when you've got someone scratching their nose through their mask, then rooting through the fresh fruit.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Believe it or not, I would echo & endorse all of that.

The pariahs on Manx Twitter do some proper whining about just about every decision CoMin has ever taken (apart from when we were all locked up in our homes & allowed out to shop) but offer up fuck all in terms of what should be done.

Some bad, bad glass half empty bellends there mind you.

Correct!  And most of them are either retired, semi-retired or have little/no skin in the game.    They take great delight in sitting back and crying about the need for distancing (no plan as to how to keep business forced to operate at 50% capacity)  or border changes but offering nothing really useful. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

Just had a text from HSBC asking to not visit branches unless absolutely necessary......... Government say we are fully open but the reality is some distance from that !

As have I.

Not that it's a bad thing for HSBC. COVID is the perfect excuse for the "community driven" banks to slowly begin to suffocate the life out of their "community" facilities. 

How will poor old Doris deposit the cheque her friend wrote her? That cheque was the membership fee to join the Howard Quayle Fan Club.

Awful times. 

Edited by Hugh G Rection
to > the*