IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I don’t fully understand the fascination with mandating masks on public transport.

Of the 20+ or more people I know with Covid at the moment, none have used public transport and certainly caught the virus either at the footy or back in the workplace through colleagues.

I imagine (but have not took much notice to be fair) there would be a good proportion of people able to make their own choices to wear a mask of using public transport due to the lack on ventilation in an enclosed space.

Why are there some people hell bent on the Government trying to enforce common sense?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WTF said:

since his crystal ball arrived from ali express.

SEIR not my model, and I got proprietary models but this certainly is not one of them more details at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmental_models_in_epidemiology

SAGE, CDC, WHO,... all use same approach. Naturally, my polished, granular,... but what I did with Day 0 = 1st July, was enough to clear see the storm which was on the way. 6th Aug expect storm to peak in terms of infections, and 24th Aug in terms of peak hospitalizations. 

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

We ave now tipped over the point where 75% of positive cases in this latest outbreak have absolutely no symptoms at all, even when asked retrospectively.

None. No clue other than a positive test and that is three quarters of people across all age groups, not just the young.

So I would assume we nearly all have it, the vaccines are doing exactly what they were designed to.  It will burn out soon and those who are still fretting can stop.

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 17.09.23.png

Are you sure you've got that the right way round?

Green is asymptomatic, the orange is symptomatic.

Of the active cases in your range, 75% are reporting symptoms.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, immortalpuppet said:

Why are there some people hell bent on the Government trying to enforce common sense?

Problem is some people do not have choice to use public transport, say they want to be careful for whatever reason, if bus busy and few people using mask that choice has been taken away from them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

If we can trust people to mitigate their own risks as they see fit, why does health & safety even exist? It’s all common sense stuff that any reasonably intelligent person can understand isn’t it?  Why do we have things like hygiene rules in commercial kitchens? I mean its all self explanatory isn’t it? 

Yes but that is a whole new thread.

Caution - If you start such a thread it maybe "hot"

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Are you sure you've got that the right way round?

Green is asymptomatic, the orange is symptomatic.

Of the active cases in your range, 75% are reporting symptoms.

Ah yeah. Oh well.  Still a load of fuss about nothing.  Open a beer and live life

• Haha 1

I see your point Ben and I can’t really make further comment as I don’t see how full or empty the busses are nowadays. Sense would say if it’s rammed and nobody has a mask on. - quick assessment of risk would say don’t get on the bus. If this is happening now, where is the public outcry from those people?

All I see is retired busybodies kicking up a stink.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Because, to quote Peep Show, “You can’t trust people.  People like coldplay and voted for the Nazis”

So government should act.  In my view, there should be mandatory mask usage, while prevalence is so high, in places people, particularly if vulnerable, can’t avoid.  Especially if these are public services.  So that’s buses, the hospitals, GP surgeries, government offices etc.  Essential food shops and pharmacies similarly, and I’d expect local managers to implement in their stores. Nobody has to go to pubs, clubs, restaurants so go at your own risk, but even some of those will ask for some mask usage.

You and I might be sensible and do the right thing, but people in general can’t be trusted. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

I don’t fully understand the fascination with mandating masks on public transport.

Of the 20+ or more people I know with Covid at the moment, none have used public transport and certainly caught the virus either at the footy or back in the workplace through colleagues.

The track and trace have the data. There must be at least an indication of where people are picking up the virus.

Pub. Work. Tesco. Strand Street. Or a good honest "fuck knows". 

And did the people who have been tracked and traced where masks (for example).

This stuff is on the same lines as "in hospital due to Coivid" or "in hospital, with covid".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Because, to quote Peep Show, “You can’t trust people.  People like coldplay and voted for the Nazis”

So government should act.  In my view, there should be mandatory mask usage, while prevalence is so high, in places people, particularly if vulnerable, can’t avoid.  Especially if these are public services.  So that’s buses, the hospitals, GP surgeries, government offices etc.  Essential food shops and pharmacies similarly, and I’d expect local managers to implement in their stores. Nobody has to go to pubs, clubs, restaurants so go at your own risk, but even some of those will ask for some mask usage.

You and I might be sensible and do the right thing, but people in general can’t be trusted. 

GP surgeries good luck getting near one of those!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

The importance of what is taking place in Tynwald can not be understated. Everyone has their own views as evident on here, based on what ever model, experiences, etc they feel are relevant.

If Tynwald do not agree the disagreements could potentially spill out into the public arena and that could be a recipe for much argument or even worse. As has been reported, staff / people have been harassed when things are just not so - no LFT's, don't want to wait in line, can't come in unless masked etc.

Whatever comes out of todays debate has to be clear, succinct and carry everyone's support. Or, as has been pointed out above, people may just their own common sense. What ever that is.

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

I agree to a certain extent. At the start our administration looked at the authoritarian actions around the world and assumed they had to do similar. Don't forget these are men and women of limited intellect thrust into making decisions way above their pay grade and they got drunk on the power.

It's true they probably had no clue but the instructions and advice were coming from PHE backed up by Ministry of Justice. And as if to confirm that they sent two helicopters over with logistics experts to reinforce who was going to be running the show if it all went south.

• Like 1